Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Artificial Beef Marbling.  (Read 489 times)

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Artificial Beef Marbling.
« on: June 26, 2020, 03:05:15 PM »

Back when Larry was alive, he and Cookshack would do the LA food show.  ​Kristin and I went a couple of years with him, about 10 years ago and there was a company there that did the Artificial Marbling, never did get a chance to see or taste it as they were on a break and I had to leave shortly after finding the booth.  Wish I could remember the name of the company.  I remember Larry saying he could not believe how they could make a USDA Select taste as good if not better then Prime.  Their target market was certainly restaurants.

I find it funny that Restaurants do not need to disclose it, but grocery stores do!

Anyone ever had any or seen it?
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

W6YJ

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Re: Artificial Beef Marbling.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2020, 04:59:20 PM »

Meltique maybe?

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 07:14:16 PM »

I have zero recollection of the company name!  I guess it has been going on in one form or another for 50 years, I had just never heard if it till then.  To this day I have never seen it or tasted it, but as I say, I guess you would have to be in the business to have access to it!

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2020, 10:29:36 AM »

That leaves you in a quandary Bent. Sorry I cant help.  In my 75 + trips around the sun, I have never heard tell of such a thing. Now  you have me itching to find out what it's all about.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2020, 11:21:22 AM »

I hadn’t heard of artificial beef marbling until I read this.  After reading a few Internet articles it reminded me of my conclusion when the Lexus was introduced; it doesn’t matter if it doesn’t have the TriStar on the hood if it duplicates the recognized benchmark.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2020, 11:36:31 AM »

My sister was the head dietician at a hospital and she has never heard of it.  Of course, no one goes to a hospital cafeteria for a Prime steak. 
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2020, 11:37:21 AM »

I found this; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artificial_marbling. There is more info if you do a "search".

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2020, 09:02:34 PM »

I will have to look into this. When reading this all that came to mind was larding. Maybe it is the same thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsI7wekfYSA

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2020, 10:19:31 PM »

I know that one article I read said they would put the fat into the animals blood vessel system, which dd not seem feasible.

From Food Beast...

This practice has been going on for at least 50 years, and involves injecting carcasses of beef with melted or powderized animal or vegetable fat (or a solution containing the liquid lipids) right after slaughter or in the butchering process. The fat then runs through the beef's blood vessels, creating a falsified marbling effect. Some more current research has shown these methods can increase the quality of beef by at least two USDA marbling scores. That's like taking a piece of USDA Select grade beef and upping it to Prime, the highest quality of beef, simply by injecting fat into the meat.

And I guess I am undecided on this one...So you can make it a $4 cut look and taste like a $24 cut, but as Anthony Bourdain put it, you are a "douche" for doing it.  Why?  I am trying to think of an analogy and I can't!  Now, I do have an issue with calling it something it is not.

Sure, this beef would look and taste the same as its higher-quality counterparts, but the ethics behind it are still skewed. Restaurants can essentially get away with selling lower-quality, cheaper meat at a higher price since they can claim it's Prime, Kobe, or Wagyu and nobody would be able to tell the difference.

GREG-B

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Washougal WA
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2020, 11:04:23 PM »

Gives me one more reason not to order a steak at a restaurant.  As if I needed another one.  Think the last one I got was about 15 years ago.  Got tired of being disappointed.
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy.

yorkdude

• Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2020, 04:47:00 AM »

Very interesting, never heard of it before either. I do agree that it should not be done and if it is they should have to disclose it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up