Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by jgrayson on 27 Jun 2020
  • Hello,

We had a few people in the yard for dinner tonight, and we did some of the standard meat items. We went a different for desert.

A few days ago we went to a local pick your own farm and came home with a 10 pound bucket of blueberries.  I followed Steve Raichlens blueberry crumble. I cooked it in my FireCraft for 45 minutes. It was great, and the crumble took on a nice smoky flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • #2 by pmillen on 27 Jun 2020
  • I like baking casseroles in the pit rather than the kitchen range.  I've not tried desert.  This will be my first.  Thanks.
  • #3 by Mikro on 27 Jun 2020
  • Hello,

We had a few people in the yard for dinner tonight, and we did some of the standard meat items. We went a different for desert.

A few days ago we went to a local pick your own farm and came home with a 10 pound bucket of blueberries.  I followed Steve Raichlens blueberry crumble. I cooked it in my FireCraft for 45 minutes. It was great, and the crumble took on a nice smoky flavor.  > SNIP<
    Man that looks sooooooo goooooood!! :)
    mk
  • #4 by TravlinMan on 28 Jun 2020
  • That looks great, thank you.

I’ve had good luck using fruit wood pellets, like apple and or cherry, when doing desserts.  Wonderful!

....... :bbq: :clap: :cool:
  • #5 by yorkdude on 28 Jun 2020
  • Nicely done, that looks fantastic.
  • #6 by Darwin on 28 Jun 2020
  • I like baking casseroles in the pit rather than the kitchen range.  I've not tried desert.  This will be my first.  Thanks.

I picked up a few small cast iron skillets just for this sort of cooking.  I don't like the idea of using the oven when it's 110° outside.  The 6.5" is great for single portions. I like spicy, she doesn't. A touch of smoke on desserts was strange at first, but I like it now.

Nice blueberry crisp JGrayson!   :clap:
  • #7 by Bentley on 28 Jun 2020
  • Do you add sugar to the fruit?
  • #8 by hughver on 28 Jun 2020
  • Yes, 1/2 cup
  • #9 by RWhyman on 28 Jun 2020
  • I love blueberries and that looks soooo good.
  • #10 by Kristin Meredith on 29 Jun 2020
  • Bent is going to try raising them again next year after my failure in the past.  They seem difficult here even putting lots of acid in the soil.  But a few years back, a friend gave me some homegrown berries and the difference between homegrown and store bought is night and day!

Nice job jgrayson, looks delish!!!
  • #11 by jgrayson on 30 Jun 2020
  • Do you add sugar to the fruit?

Yes, we did add sugar, but we halved what the recipe called for.  Honestly, when I do this again I will probably reduce the amount of sugar even further.  Maybe down to a quarter of what the recipe called for.
  • #12 by jgrayson on 30 Jun 2020
  • Bent is going to try raising them again next year after my failure in the past.  They seem difficult here even putting lots of acid in the soil.  But a few years back, a friend gave me some homegrown berries and the difference between homegrown and store bought is night and day!

Nice job jgrayson, looks delish!!!

We have two different blueberry bushes growing in our yard here in Washington, DC.  One of them yields nice blue berries.  It's about 4 years old and is now producing a lot of berries.  The other one is a Pink Popcorn variety and yields pink berries when they ripen.  We planted this one two years ago, so it needs another year or two before it produces a lot of fruit.  They taste great too, but a bit more sour then more common blueberries.  It's great to be able to grow some fruit and vegetables on our own even with our limited yard size in the city.
  • #13 by 02ebz06 on 01 Jul 2020
  • Looks mighty tasty.
    Do you have a link to the recipe?
    Googled, found several, but couldn't find Steve's.
    We have a freezer full of Blueberries.
    Every June, our local Smith's (aka Kroger"s) has them on sale for 88 cents for a 6 oz. basket.
    We eat them in out breakfast cereal almost every morning, so we buy about 80 of them and freeze them.

I'm sure we could sacrifice some for a Blueberry Crisp.  ;D
  • #14 by hughver on 01 Jul 2020
  • Try this.  barbecuebible.com/recipe/blueberry-crumble/
  • #15 by 02ebz06 on 02 Jul 2020
  • Try this.  barbecuebible.com/recipe/blueberry-crumble/

Thank you...  :clap:
Pages:
Actions