Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Free Mr. Tony on 28 Jun 2020
  • I don't cook much traditional bbq anymore. I still like it on occasion, but just have pretty much had my fill. These giant turkey breasts (about 6 lbs) though are something I cook about once a month at least.

This was done with my newly acquired Savannah Stoker controller. For the last year or so I had been using the same seasoning on these (penzeys jerk pork and course pepper). I got a new stash recently from both Penzeys and Spice House so I decided the last couple times to try something different. This is a magical combo for turkey. It is so good together.

• #2 by yorkdude on 28 Jun 2020
  • That looks great and we both love turkey boob. I have to have mine a tad less done than Gwen. I do have to ask, Berkel slicer? Looks like one I wish I never sold.

• #3 by W6YJ on 28 Jun 2020
  • That looks excellent. Turkey breast is my favorite meat.
  • #4 by Darwin on 28 Jun 2020
  • Looks great Mr Tony.  Occasionally I can find boneless turkey breast and I love to cure and smoke my own.  You reminded me I need to do that again.   :clap:
  • #5 by Free Mr. Tony on 28 Jun 2020
  • That looks great and we both love turkey boob. I have to have mine a tad less done than Gwen. I do have to ask, Berkel slicer? Looks like one I wish I never sold.

Yes. It is a very old Berkel. Works great though. I used to go to this tiny Cuban shop and the owner was super friendly. We started talking about slicers and he said he had an extra in the basement he would sell me for 60 dollars. That was probably close to 10 years ago. I don't use it a ton, but there is no substitute for certain applications.
  • #6 by Canadian John on 28 Jun 2020

•  EXCELLENT!
  • #7 by Osborn Cox on 28 Jun 2020
  • Dry rub only?   No brining involved?
  • #8 by yorkdude on 28 Jun 2020

Yes. It is a very old Berkel. Works great though. I used to go to this tiny Cuban shop and the owner was super friendly. We started talking about slicers and he said he had an extra in the basement he would sell me for 60 dollars. That was probably close to 10 years ago. I don't use it a ton, but there is no substitute for certain applications.
    You lucky guy, mine was probably 20-25 years old when I got it and sliced a lot of stuff. I sorely miss it, so xxxx heavy that my old bones struggled. It was fantastic. We just sliced up some bacon and when you have a short carriage it makes it even more annoying.
  • #9 by yorkdude on 28 Jun 2020
  • Mercy, should have finished reading it.....$60.00. Wow. I sold mine for $400.00 and have begged to buy it back. He is not interested in selling it.
  • #10 by cookingjnj on 28 Jun 2020
  • A deli quality, okay better than deli quality, sammie right there.  Looks fantastic.  I have cooked many bone in split turkey breast with just a basic all purpose dry rub on my pit.  Never a boneless breast.  If I had a slicer, I am sure I would make a few now and then.  Nice job and thanks for showing us.
  • #11 by Free Mr. Tony on 28 Jun 2020
  • Dry rub only?   No brining involved?

A couple years ago, I would always brine. I've been cutting back on salt, so no brine. Also, all the seasoning is salt free. Surprisingly, I bet you would never guess. It really is flavorful enough when heavily seasoned with a nice combo.

When I'm eating it sliced a little thicker and warm, I prefer the brined version as it is juicier. I eat it more often at room temp with a super thin deli slice. When eating like that, I prefer no brine.

I cook it to about 135, then put in a pan with a few pats of butter and cover. Cook until it hits about 156-158 and pull it. Cool in fridge overnight. Then slice the next day.
  • #12 by Free Mr. Tony on 28 Jun 2020
  • Looks great Mr Tony.  Occasionally I can find boneless turkey breast and I love to cure and smoke my own.  You reminded me I need to do that again.   :clap:

I have found a consistent source for mine. It's a meat shop that delivers mostly to restaurants. They are always consistent quality and about 5 -6 pounds a piece. They aren't cheap at about 40 bucks a breast, but compared to other prices you see lately for beef and pork that's sort of a bargain I guess.
  • #13 by pmillen on 28 Jun 2020
  • What are those two things that you've skewered the breast with?  And why?

They look like giant R-Clips.
  • #14 by Bentley on 28 Jun 2020
  • So these are multiple turkey breast that are meat glued together, or it is simply one 6lb turkey breast?  I think I must be the only guy that prefers processed turkey over regular!

Poultry Deli Meats
  • #15 by Free Mr. Tony on 28 Jun 2020
  • What are those two things that you've skewered the breast with?  And why?

They look like giant R-Clips.

They are just double bbq skewers. Just to the left of the apple slicer in the picture.

A turkey breast is basically a giant chicken breast. The bottom triangle shaped piece is thinner than the other areas. I fold it under the breast and typically use 2 skewers to try to create a uniformed thickness piece of meat.
Pages:
Actions