Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Ralphie on 29 Jun 2020
  • This was labeled as a 1/4th of a pig. It consists of a full slab of spare ribs connected to a full shoulder, and all lined with a thick pork belly and skin. I chose this “front” cut due to familiarity with the shoulder instead of the “rear” cut which is essentially the same except it runs to the rear into the ham.

- seasoned the meat with “The Gospel BBQ Rub” by Meat Church
    - heavily seasoned the skin with kosher salt.
    - smoked at 210 degrees overnight for about 8 hours. I chose this low temp so the thinner section wouldn’t get away from me.
    - after 8 hours, the shoulder temp was 180 and the ribs were 175. Situating the shoulder closer to the hot spot worked.
    - I kept it at 210 degrees because we weren’t eating until 2pm. I increased temp to 225 for the last 2 hours.
    - removed from smoker when all areas temped are approximately 197-200 degrees.
    - rested for an hour covered with foil over the pan.
    - After removing the meat, I roasted the skin in the oven at 425 to make cracklins. They were a treat.

- Thoughts:   This was the best pulled pork I’ve ever made. Mixing in the rib and belly meat was fantastic. I removed the chucks of fat as I pulled, but careful not to short-change the belly section.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #2 by Ralphie on 29 Jun 2020
  • Let me know if you are unable to see the pictures. This post appears normal on my iPhone but the pics say “invalid attachment” when I tried to view it in my laptop.
  • #3 by Bar-B-Lew on 29 Jun 2020
  • The pictures look great.  How much did you pay a # and how many #'s was it?
  • #4 by yorkdude on 29 Jun 2020
  • That looks fantastic, nicely done.
  • #5 by Canadian John on 29 Jun 2020

•   That is some cook my friend!

• #6 by Ralphie on 29 Jun 2020
  • It was 20.50 pounds and cost $43.

I bought it at a place called Nahunta. It is a pig farm about an hour outside of Raleigh. They have a large and very impressive pork butcher market on site.
    They sell all things pig. Every cut you know and many you may not know, whole hogs too.
    Tons a homemade sausage varieties...some cured, smoked, or raw made to order.  Country hams, cured bellies, bacon. Truly all things pig.
  • #7 by Kristin Meredith on 29 Jun 2020
  • Ohhhhh, fresh cooked cracklins, nothing better!!!
  • #8 by cookingjnj on 29 Jun 2020
  • Wow, great cook Ralphie.  Thanks for sharing.
  • #9 by okie smokie on 29 Jun 2020
  • Takes great courage and know how to do a job like that successfully.   :clap:
  • #10 by Bentley on 29 Jun 2020
  • I was gonna say that aint no pig, that is a 1/4 of a hog, then I realized it was on a sheet pan and I had to re-evaluate!  Looks like you Nailed the cook!
  • #11 by triplebq on 30 Jun 2020
  • It was 20.50 pounds and cost $43.

I bought it at a place called Nahunta. It is a pig farm about an hour outside of Raleigh. They have a large and very impressive pork butcher market on site.
    They sell all things pig. Every cut you know and many you may not know, whole hogs too.
    Tons a homemade sausage varieties...some cured, smoked, or raw made to order.  Country hams, cured bellies, bacon. Truly all things pig.

Hey don't tell people about our secret place (Nahunta) LOL. Been going to Nahunta for years as I used to live in Raleigh and have family in Kinston and New Bern. Can't beat Nahunta.
Pages:
Actions