Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by heffneil on 29 Jun 2020
  • Hey guys I have some flats only (it was all that was available) should I just follow the same procedure?  Will it cook quicker since its considerably smaller?

Never did just a flat.

Thanks!

Neil
  • #2 by pmillen on 30 Jun 2020
  • I've never done just a flat, but I suspect that it'll cook faster because it's thinner so the heat will conduct to the center faster.  But You might be faced with a problem that not all connective tissue had time to break down.

I know that some people separate the flat and point before cooking so there's probably several people here with first-hand knowledge.  Let us know what you discover.
  • #3 by triplebq on 30 Jun 2020
  • Years ago all I did was flats. The flat is still my preferred part of the brisket. I have always tended to cook them the same way as I cook a packer. The time tends to be about the same but as I'm sure you know with briskets they all cook differently.

My preferred way of cooking is 180 for about 6-8 hours, then wrap, turn up the heat to 230-250, and let it go until done. I would expect around 10-12 hours.
  • #4 by cookingjnj on 30 Jun 2020
  • I have only cooked flats.  I used to inject prior to cooking and wrap around the stall.  The past 4-5 I have not injected or wrapped.  I put a rub on the flat, then on the pit at 225 until it probes tender.  As triplebq mentions, each will cook differently for different amounts of time.  Mine usually are anywhere from 11 - 13 hours on average.  Enjoy however you cook yours.
Pages:
Actions