Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by 4given on 01 Jul 2020
  • Howdy!

I have a GMG DB that I have had for about 7 years now. It has been a great rig and is still running strong.  The only problem I have been having is I keep burning up the combustion fan housing gasket.  I can always tell because I start getting soot on my food. 

It  is doing it again but this time I am thinking of forgoing the new gasket and just using Permatex 81878 Ultra Copper Maximum Temperature RTV Silicone Gasket Maker.

Anybody else do this and how did it work out? 

• #2 by Canadian John on 01 Jul 2020
  •  
     I believe you have the answer using Ultra Copper. Permatex isn't the sole supplier anymore making it easier to find. I have used it on several kamado gaskets and found it to preform well over the years..

What you will find is that it doesn't store well once opened. The silicone hardens in the tube in a few months.
  • #3 by Bentley on 01 Jul 2020
  • Have you ever tried car gasket material?
  • #4 by 4given on 01 Jul 2020
  • Have you ever tried car gasket material?

Looks like it is a high temp gasket material:

• #5 by TravlinMan on 02 Jul 2020
  • Good product.  Used it on my Davy Crocket and LG 700 to seal some air leaks, and it worked great.

.......... :bbq:
  • #6 by just4fn on 04 Jul 2020
  • Howdy!

I have a GMG DB that I have had for about 7 years now. It has been a great rig and is still running strong.  The only problem I have been having is I keep burning up the combustion fan gasket.  I can always tell because I start getting soot on my food. 

What makes the bad gasket get soot on your food?
  • #7 by okie smokie on 04 Jul 2020
  • Howdy!

I have a GMG DB that I have had for about 7 years now. It has been a great rig and is still running strong.  The only problem I have been having is I keep burning up the combustion fan gasket.  I can always tell because I start getting soot on my food. 

What makes the bad gasket get soot on your food?

I was wondering the same.  Makes me think that the fan is going backwards?, but I guess you would see smoke coming out from the fan. ? No reason for there to be that much heat at the fan area. ??? Anyhow, I agree that any of the high temp "gasket" stuff would work fine. At the auto stores you can get *700 plus gray gasket material that is great and blends in well with most pits. But the red or copper stuff works as well.
  • #8 by smokin soon on 04 Jul 2020
  • I don't' own a GMG but have noticed on my buddy's that they use somewhat of a positive airflow to work properly. Even makes a difference if if hopper lid is open. My choice would be a new gasket with a bead of Permatex and be done with it.
  • #9 by Canadian John on 05 Jul 2020

•  The reason for sooting is a change in air to fuel ratio. Same amount of fuel but less air as going into the burn pot . The air the combustion fan generates takes  the path of least resistance being the gap between

the fan housing and the pit body that was sealed by the fan gasket... The gasket has has burnt away leaving a gap.

https://greenmountaingrills.com/products/new-parts/jim-bowie-new-parts/combustion-fan-gasket-db-jb/
  • #10 by just4fn on 05 Jul 2020

•  The reason for sooting is a change in air to fuel ratio. Same amount of fuel but less air as going into the burn pot . The air the combustion fan generates takes  the path of least resistance being the gap between

the fan housing and the pit body that was sealed by the fan gasket... The gasket has has burnt away leaving a gap.

https://greenmountaingrills.com/products/new-parts/jim-bowie-new-parts/combustion-fan-gasket-db-jb/

can you get a flame out also?
  • #11 by Canadian John on 05 Jul 2020

can you get a flame out also?
    I wouldn't think that the lower air delivery to the fire pot due to a gasket leak would be totally be responsible. It sure as heck is responsible for poor combustion and that with other factors could result in a flameout.
  • #12 by okie smokie on 05 Jul 2020

I understand how the poor seal around the gasket could allow air to be leaked out but how does the heat get drawn back all the way to the fan area? Is it because there is more air flow than the holes in the firepot can accept? i.e. creating a back pressure? Anyhow I am sure that using the gasket with high heat gasket material as a sealer will solve the problem.  Good sleuthing John!
  • #13 by Canadian John on 05 Jul 2020

I understand how the poor seal around the gasket could allow air to be leaked out but how does the heat get drawn back all the way to the fan area? Is it because there is more air flow than the holes in the firepot can accept? i.e. creating a back pressure? Anyhow I am sure that using the gasket with high heat gasket material as a sealer will solve the problem.  Good sleuthing John!
    Conduction: Heat travels from hot to cold. The pit body is hot and the fan housing cooler.
  • #14 by pmillen on 05 Jul 2020
  • Maybe it's not a consideration, but will the Permatex "glue" the fan to the pit making it difficult to replace?

Perhaps you could put waxed paper on the pit then run the Permatex bead on the fan and bolt it in place.  When the Permatex is set up (and "glued" to the fan), remove the fan and discard the waxed paper.  That might leave an exact gasket on the fan.
  • #15 by okie smokie on 05 Jul 2020
  • Maybe it's not a consideration, but will the Permatex "glue" the fan to the pit making it difficult to replace?

Perhaps you could put waxed paper on the pit then run the Permatex bead on the fan and bolt it in place.  When the Permatex is set up (and "glued" to the fan), remove the fan and discard the waxed paper.  That might leave an exact gasket on the fan.
    I tried that on my Blaz'n lid. It worked but was a little messy around the edges. Should not be visible problem with the fan. My advice: don't tighten the fan down flush when you make the gasket. Just a gentle snugging.  That way when you remove the wax paper, you can then tighten it down a bit tighter.  Be patient and wait at least 24 hrs before unbolting and removing the wax paper..Interesting how some fans used are induction type with a box frame and others (like Traeger and RT) are not enclosed.
Pages:
Actions