Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by swagsterQ on 01 Jul 2020
  • I'm new here but lurked on the old PH forums for years. 

I'm in the market for a new thermometer and need help deciding which to buy. Until now I have used two Mavericks (cheaper models) but both stopped reading accurately within a year or so. My real question is should I spend $50-60 on an Inkbird or similar priced thermometer or should I spend over $200 for a fireboard or other more expensive model.  I know you often get what you pay for, but its also true that a BMW breaks down more than a Toyota.  I'm happy to drive a Toyota if it gets me where I need to go.

Having read this and other forums it seems many are happy with Inkbird, but there are some reports of failure after a year or two.  I haven't seen any negative reports about Fireboard.  I would love to hear about which Thermometer you have used and if you'd recommend them. 

Thanks
  • #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 01 Jul 2020
  • Great timing for you as Bentley, one of the owners of the site, is currently doing a product review of the Thermoworks Signals.  Follow along with it https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=6002.0
  • #3 by Canadian John on 01 Jul 2020
  •  
    Welcome swagsterQ.  To narrow down answers to your question it may help to know: Is Pricing an issue? How many probes/channels? Wifi? Bluetooth? Durability?  Service - help with problems and parts ie

probes if required. Water proof/resistant. Battery -if rechargeable, will it last for a long cook? Is it a battery hog? Will the sun damage the display? There is more. This should get you thinking.

• #4 by swagsterQ on 02 Jul 2020
  • Great timing for you as Bentley, one of the owners of the site, is currently doing a product review of the Thermoworks Signals.  Follow along with it https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=6002.0

Thanks...I will check it out.
  • #5 by swagsterQ on 02 Jul 2020

• Welcome swagsterQ.  To narrow down answers to your question it may help to know: Is Pricing an issue? How many probes/channels? Wifi? Bluetooth? Durability?  Service - help with problems and parts ie

probes if required. Water proof/resistant. Battery -if rechargeable, will it last for a long cook? Is it a battery hog? Will the sun damage the display? There is more. This should get you thinking.

Thanks John-- Pricing isn't really an issue but I don't want to spend 300 for something if I can spend 50 for the same or similar result and reliability.  I prefer something reliability to avoid service.  Not sure how much time I want to sink into getting service on a thermometer (would prefer one that won't need it).  Don't need water proof or sun proof since I will use it under a patio.  Would like multiple probes as I sometime do two butts or a butt and brisket. Need at least 12-15 hours battery for long cooks. 

I assume I need at least Bluetooth- do most people find the wifi helpful?

Thank again.
  • #6 by Bar-B-Lew on 02 Jul 2020
  • Wifi is helpful if you want to go to the store and be able to ensure your grill alarms are not going off for some reason high or low.  I prefer Thermoworks for several reasons.  I think they have been around for a while.  They are in commercial and consumer products.  I think they will continue to be around for a while.  They have continued to develop new products over at least the last 5 years for the consumer market.  I have about 10+ products of theirs and have never had an issue.  One time, I lost a slide on cover for one of their $35 thermometers and sent them an email on how to get a replacement.  They sent me one for free.

There are a few other products with 4+ probes on them that have come out in the last 5+ years that seem to be very good products.  My concern is that they are the only consumer thermometer product that each of those companies make.  Who knows when they decide to quit supporting the product.  I am not sure any of them have developed any new products either.  They have developed some software enhancements though, but for how long?

As Canadian John mentioned, figure out what you want in a product and read thru the thermometers section on here to get a sense for what others think.  Don't be afraid to send a private message to those that have any of the devices.  I believe most of them will be happy to provide you other feedback and insight on their product.
Pages:
Actions