Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by anthony.mariapain on 02 Jul 2020
  • Smoking my first flat.  Any tips and things to avoid?

I'm curious how to deal with the leaner aspect of the flat.

It's a 5#er on a Traeger with lumberjack pellets.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

• #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 02 Jul 2020
  • Someone else asked that question this week.  Check this out for a few replies.

https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=6000.0

I would set grill to 275° and cook until the brisket hits 160° and then wrap in butchers paper until it hits 195°-205°. It will be done when the thermometer probe goes into the meat like it was butter in multiple places on the flat.
  • #3 by bregent on 02 Jul 2020
  • Is there a fat cap on it?
  • #4 by reubenray on 02 Jul 2020
  • I prefer flats due to I can put them in a basket and on my rotisserie.  I have been tempted to add bacon to it to see what happens.
  • #5 by 02ebz06 on 03 Jul 2020

• I would set grill to 275° and cook until the brisket hits 160° and then wrap in butchers paper until it hits 195°-205°. It will be done when the thermometer probe goes into the meat like it was butter in multiple places on the flat.

I agree. Butcher paper or foil.
    Adding a pan of water in smoker can help prevent drying out. Downside though, bark will be soft.

• #6 by anthony.mariapain on 03 Jul 2020
  • Is there a fat cap on it?
    Yes, but thin

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

• #7 by pmillen on 03 Jul 2020
  • I don't think too many pellet pit users incorporate a water pan.

They just suck up heat and create a cold spot.
  • #8 by triplebq on 03 Jul 2020
  • I use a water pan in my Cookshack FEC120 and haven't had any cold spot issues.
  • #9 by pmillen on 03 Jul 2020
  • I use a water pan in my Cookshack FEC120 and haven't had any cold spot issues.

Water can only get to 212°.  That's probably colder than your smoking temperature.
  • #10 by triplebq on 03 Jul 2020

Water can only get to 212°.  That's probably colder than your smoking temperature.

Yes I understand water boils at 212 but It hasn't given me any issues with cold spots. With the water boiling at 212 you will get moisture/steam in the pit. The water pan doesn't keep the pit from cooking at a higher temp.
  • #11 by pmillen on 03 Jul 2020
  •  :)

I view that pan of 212° water as a cold spot sucking up heat.  Combustion makes water vapor, even wood combustion.  You obviously want more.

Different strokes...

EDIT:  I think I'll make a poll on it.  I may be wrong when I write that not many pellet pit users incorporate a water pan.
  • #12 by triplebq on 04 Jul 2020
  • I guess it depends on how one looks at it. I guess the meat we are cooking is also a cold spot as we tend to run the pit at a higher temp than the meat final temp.

Yup different strokes
  • #13 by okie smokie on 04 Jul 2020
  • :)

I view that pan of 212° water as a cold spot sucking up heat.  Combustion makes water vapor, even wood combustion.  You obviously want more.

Different strokes...

EDIT:  I think I'll make a poll on it.  I may be wrong when I write that not many pellet pit users incorporate a water pan.
    I agree and just wrote about that on another thread.  Takes more energy=pellets. I note that Mixon always uses water bowl on his hot fast brisket cooks. Well it must add some moisture?  Go figure.  :2cents:
  • #14 by KNIGHTDAD on 07 Jul 2020
  • :)

Different strokes...

Water boils at 212* but it can reach higher temps, water can also be in a frozen state with its temp below 32*. 212* and 32* is just when water changes form to a vapor or solid from its liquid state. The vapor that is put off when boiling is at a much higher temp than the boiling water itself.
  • #15 by Bentley on 07 Jul 2020
  • If the liquid water only reaches 212° to boil, how does the vapor become hotter? If both are at atmospheric pressure (14.7 psia), they are both at the temperature of 100C or 212F. Or are you going back to pressurized and super heated steam?
Pages:
Actions