Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by goosta on 25 Sep 2017
  • With my old gas grill, I'd just scrape down the grates before and after grilling. I would also clean out the inside occasionally (not as often as I should have).

I'm more inclined to take much better care of my new Q450. I know the ash needs to be cleaned out every few cooks. After every cook, I have been taking the cooking grates and the heat diffuser inside to the sink and scrubbing it all down. Been working well, just pretty messy. Is there a better way? Any idea if the cooking grates are dishwasher safe?

Thanks!
    Ron
  • #2 by dclord on 25 Sep 2017
  • I buy wide aluminum foil and lay a sheet on the drip tray / heat diffuser. I just brush the grate and occasionally wipe it with a rag. The grate is chromed steel so it would most likely rust in the dishwasher.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

• #3 by goosta on 25 Sep 2017
  • I buy wide aluminum foil and lay a sheet on the drip tray / heat diffuser. I just brush the grate and occasionally wipe it with a rag. The grate is chromed steel so it would most likely rust in the dishwasher.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Good to know. Thanks for the tip!
  • #4 by Bar-B-Lew on 25 Sep 2017
  • better way - I don't bother...I scrape the stuff off with a wide grill scraper and suck it up with a shop vac if it doesn't burn off during a cook.  I'm not a big fan of extra work to keep the grill looking like new.
  • #5 by LowSlowJoe on 01 Oct 2017
  • It's a grill... brush the grates down every cook, preferably while it's still warm.  Drip tray,  scrape the gunk off it when it needs it. 

Being a pellet grill,  dump or vacuum the burn pot every cook. Nothing worse than having a bunch of food prepared only to find the pellets won't light because ash has built up in the firepot.

If you want to spend time cleaning your Q450,  clean up the smoke stains around the door areas where the smoke sneaks out.
  • #6 by Pelletnutt on 02 Oct 2017
  • +1 on no foil. Tried it but reverse sear a lot of steaks and it doesn't hold up to the heat. Home Depot sells a bucket head vacuum that is great for the ash removal also.
    • Pelletnutt
  • #7 by Maineac on 02 Oct 2017
  • Have tried both ways and ended up foiling the drip pan; it's way quicker.  I put the grates in the gasser on high until it no longer smokes.  A member on another forum pointed me at a $30 vacuum at HD that does an awesome job on the ash.  It's been 2+ years and it's still going strong.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Stinger-2-5-gal-1-75-Peak-HP-Compact-Wet-Dry-Vac-WD2025/100021998
  • #8 by MN-Smoker on 06 Oct 2017
  • That's the vacuum I use!
  • #9 by Canadian John on 10 Oct 2017
  • Once in a while a"hot burn" does wonders.To have it do the best it can brush and scrape prior..Make sure to remove any accumulated grease as well.
Pages:
Actions