Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Baby Backs from Costco.  (Read 3359 times)

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
Baby Backs from Costco.
« on: July 02, 2020, 05:42:55 PM »

Decided to do ribs today, with baked potato and Cherry pie and ice cream.  Swift's Premium baby backs from Costco, 3-2-1 style. My favorite rub, (no longer available). Hickory Blend pellets from LJ. 3 hrs at 200*, then wrapped with brown sugar, butter, honey, Tiger sauce, and a little apple juice.  Foiled for 2 hrs at 225*, then painted with a blueberry BBQ sauce (also no longer available) and back on grill naked at 225* until the sauce sets.  Nothing to see early, but will get a finished pic and report the results.  My wife is the ultimate judge and prefers St. Louis style.  So if she approves the change of ribs, I will do it again.  More to follow.   

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Re: Baby Backs from Costco.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 05:57:24 PM »

Does the Blueberry sauce have any effect color wise on a cooked rib?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 06:10:42 PM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

okie smokie

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2020, 09:54:16 AM »

Decided to do ribs today, with baked potato and Cherry pie and ice cream.  Swift's Premium baby backs from Costco, 3-2-1 style. My favorite rub, (no longer available). Hickory Blend pellets from LJ. 3 hrs at 200*, then wrapped with brown sugar, butter, honey, Tiger sauce, and a little apple juice.  Foiled for 2 hrs at 225*, then painted with a blueberry BBQ sauce (also no longer available) and back on grill naked at 225* until the sauce sets.  Nothing to see early, but will get a finished pic and report the results.  My wife is the ultimate judge and prefers St. Louis style.  So if she approves the change of ribs, I will do it again.  More to follow.
Darker almost charred look, but they were wonderful.  Really great Q but I will soon be out of the sauce.  My son was with a local group "Three Guys" and they won 1st, 2nd, 3rd place in a very large comp with their sauces many years ago. Blueberry, raspberry, and a hotter raspberry. They produced and distributed the sauces in the Tulsa area for some years, but the group disbanded (after 25 yrs) and the production was discontinued. I am on the last bottle now.  Here are the pics:

« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 04:36:47 PM by okie smokie »

yorkdude

• Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2020, 10:34:37 AM »

Oh man those look fantastic. I used to get a spicy apple and peach bbq sauce that was outrageous. Fruit, smoke, pork.....yep, I am in.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2020, 10:43:46 AM »

Great looking ribs, Okie.

On the sauce–Is it possible for you to get the recipe(s) to publish for small batches we make?
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2020, 10:49:58 AM »

Great looking ribs, Okie.

On the sauce–Is it possible for you to get the recipe(s) to publish for small batches we make?

Those look fantastic!  I was wondering the same thing.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2020, 10:50:17 AM »

They look great.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2020, 02:03:34 PM »

I have always been partial to BB.  I saw ezgoin post the other day that they enjoyed Spars because they felt they had more flavor and cooked up more tender.  And I am not saying he is wrong, it is just the opposite for me, at least for flavor.  I find the BB has more flavor.  Tenderness, well, I seem to be able to make either are tender as I want.  But for flavor the BB gets the nod, which really should not be so, as most Spares will have more fat then BB.

After 5 years of not competing, I am slowly loosing my aversion to Barbeque...I would eat more then one of those for sure!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

W6YJ

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2020, 02:20:55 PM »

Okie,

Even though I'm not a rib guy, yours look excellent.

And I would also be interested in the sauce recipe - especially the  hotter raspberry.

okie smokie

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2020, 05:10:14 PM »

Well, I think I like spares better also.  These had a bit of the fat layer remaining (in the middle). Probably would have been rendered if I had gone with 225* for the first 3 hrs. They were otherwise "perfect" for BB's. As for the sauces, I will ask the guy who made them up if he can provide them for us.  They had a professional bottling company produce and bottle the sauces and my son did the marketing. It was not very profitable on a local basis.
They were originally, "Three Guys Smokin" and started up in the 90's.  Won some awards locally, and helped Bixby Rotary to start up the annual Bixby BBQ contest near Tulsa.  My son joined them a few years later when one of the three dropped out.  The story of the sauces was the they had once sent all three to a contest in California but could not attend personally. They got a call from the judges there that they had won 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place in absentia. And that there were over 300 entries.  (Not sure how accurate my info is so I can't verify). Bottom line is that if you get to taste these sauces, you will believe the story. Will look into it.    :bbq:

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2020, 05:35:34 PM »

Bottom line is that if you get to taste these sauces, you will believe the story. Will look into it.    :bbq:

Yay!
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

W6YJ

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2020, 08:17:13 PM »

Bottom line is that if you get to taste these sauces, you will believe the story. Will look into it.    :bbq:

Yay!

+1

okie smokie

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2020, 11:43:49 AM »

Here is 3 Guy's webpage before they retired last year. My son is the one with glasses.  Be sure to click on the yellow "read more" to see the history of this fine group and hx of their sauces.  I will be getting in touch with Tim Kelley (the big guy) about the sauces next week.

http://www.smokinfoods.com/smokinfoods/

okie smokie

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2020, 03:16:33 PM »

Sorry guys.  No access to the recipes for 3 guys sauces.  I can give you a rough idea from the bottle labels but without the measurements, that is of little help.  IMO, that is. 
If things change, I will let you know.   :(

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2020, 03:19:50 PM »

Thanks for trying, okie.

Sure, list the ingredients as they're listed on the bottle.  Maybe some clever member can come close.
Paul

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up