Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Poll

Do you use a water pan in your pellet pit?

Always
- 0 (0%)
Sometimes (Please elaborate)
- 7 (14.3%)
Never
- 42 (85.7%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Water Pan In Your Pit  (Read 1378 times)

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Re: Water Pan In Your Pit
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2020, 11:01:34 AM »

That's interesting, Hugh.  Propane makes a lot of water vapor when it burns.  I think every propane molecule makes four water molecules.  So I wonder why the manufacturer recommends a water pan.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2020, 11:30:17 AM »

That's interesting, Hugh.  Propane makes a lot of water vapor when it burns.  I think every propane molecule makes four water molecules.  So I wonder why the manufacturer recommends a water pan.

That's even more interesting because before I started using a pellet cooker I used Weber propane grills with wood chips or pellets as my method for smoking for 10+ years.  If I didn't use water in the cooking process, I had a much higher chance of ending up with less moisture in my final meat products.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2020, 11:37:04 AM »

Being a boater, I have first hand experience with moisture and propane. We use to use propane in our boat for both heat and cooking and the moisture inside the cabin was a real problem. Our current boat is all electric which introduces a different problem, we now need to either be hooked to shore power or run the generator for heating or cooking (all other systems run off of a plethora of batteries).  :(
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2020, 01:48:29 PM »

That's even more interesting because before I started using a pellet cooker I used Weber propane grills with wood chips or pellets as my method for smoking for 10+ years.  If I didn't use water in the cooking process, I had a much higher chance of ending up with less moisture in my final meat products.

Did the fire exhaust go into the pit or up a separate chimney?  You didn't get any of the exhaust water vapor if it went up a chimney.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2020, 01:52:11 PM »

Being a boater, I have first hand experience with moisture and propane. We use to use propane in our boat for both heat and cooking and the moisture inside the cabin was a real problem. Our current boat is all electric which introduces a different problem, we now need to either be hooked to shore power or run the generator for heating or cooking (all other systems run off of a plethora of batteries).  :(

Gosh, Hugh, if you had the water vapor from the burning propane in your boat, you must have also had the CO2.  CO2 isn't as dangerous as CO, but I would have expected the furnace to vent the exhaust to the atmosphere, like our home furnaces do.
Paul

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2020, 02:53:51 PM »

Did the fire exhaust go into the pit or up a separate chimney?  You didn't get any of the exhaust water vapor if it went up a chimney.

Weber propane grills back then had exhaust vents out the back of the grill.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2020, 04:33:15 PM »

Gosh, Hugh, if you had the water vapor from the burning propane in your boat, you must have also had the CO2.  CO2 isn't as dangerous as CO, but I would have expected the furnace to vent the exhaust to the atmosphere, like our home furnaces do.

You are right Paul, the furnace did vent overboard but there was ample moisture from the kitchen stove to cause lots of condensation on windows.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

ofelles

• Using less gas.
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2020, 06:21:10 PM »

Never in my Yoder.  Mostly in my LSG cabinet (charcoal)
Yoder YS640
LSG 48" Santa Maria Grill
LSG Insulated Cabinet Smoker

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2020, 09:10:24 PM »

You are right Paul, the furnace did vent overboard but there was ample moisture from the kitchen stove to cause lots of condensation on windows.

Oh, got ya'.  Just like my kitchen with the gas range.
Paul

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up