Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: stainless steel lid cleaning  (Read 998 times)

just4fn

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
stainless steel lid cleaning
« on: July 04, 2020, 09:23:07 PM »

What's the best way to clean the stainless steel lid of the Daniel Boone?  I was thinking tide and magic eraser.  Is there a tried and proven method?
GMG Daniel Boone, Blackstone 36 griddle, Primo XL Kamado with Flame Boss 300 and a FireBoard.

Darwin

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Phoenix, AZ
Re: stainless steel lid cleaning
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 12:27:10 AM »

Dawn and warm water for the grease and dirt.  Bar keepers friend for the stainless steel.

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 06:34:55 AM »

Depends on what the "dirt" it is. If it's oily and has traces of light smoke, pure Simple Green sprayed on then rubbed in and wiped off. Heavily cooked on deposits require a more aggressive approach such as

Barkeepers as stated above. Barkeepers powder works better than the liquid. Use it with a SOFT scrubby, and only in the direction of the grain or polish marks. A stainless steel cleaner such as the one by 3M is

a nice final touch. It doesn't clean much more than fingerprints but does leave a nice oily protective coating- looks good and will burn off on the first cook.

If the metal is scratched from inappropriate cleaning, there are methods to restore its finish..The key to cleaning the pits parts is; do not wait. It's so easy to clean-up a lightly soiled surface than one that

has been repeatedly baked on.   

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2020, 10:56:22 AM »

I use Greased Lightening.
Does good job on grease and smoke.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2020, 01:12:53 PM »

Bar Keepers and chore girl for the Memphis Pro!

« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 06:27:43 PM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

yorkdude

• Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2020, 01:15:29 PM »

This probably won’t be popular but here goes. Let it show how much you love it and use it. Inside is a different story. Just my  :2cents:
Never cared about how they look, rather how many people you made smile.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 01:17:09 PM by yorkdude »

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2020, 02:50:12 PM »

I'm not s big fan of cleaning them either on the outside or inside.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Canadian John

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2020, 03:04:45 PM »

I can side with  not cleaning the outside and simply a quick grate scrape inside. That's how I was for years.   I wanted my pit (only 1 @ the time) to mimic the many pits of the Southern US. Usually brick pits

coated with goodness inside and out. Right or wrong, in my view, that equated to good taste.   

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2020, 03:05:31 PM »

I'm not s big fan of cleaning them either on the outside or inside.
I am getting that way. Only thing I do now is wet cloth to remove the soot inside about 2 or 3 times a year.  Barkeepers Friend works but results do not last long. If you go to RT's website and watch their cooking videos, they don't clean theirs either, just the grates.  Kinda like the scar on the face of the old swordsmen--a badge of honor. 

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2020, 03:21:14 PM »

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

glitchy

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2020, 04:05:26 PM »

Proof that Bentley does clean stuff, I like it. I prefer the powder with a blue scotch brite sponge personally as it seems less risk of scratching. Funny to see this topic today after I spent a good hour cleaning the Summit charcoal grill this morning.
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

okie smokie

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2020, 11:04:40 PM »

You all got me thinking. Though I do not anticipate further cleaning of my 590, I did clean the lid edges best I could with Bartenders Friend, and scotch taped the pit edges that it sets on. Then applied a trial run of high temp gray permatex to the lid on one edge and closed the lid against the taped edges.  If the sealant holds well and the scotch tape will release properly, I will do the remaining 3 edges. If happy with the results I will brag to the masses. If not happy I will clean it all off and let you know.  The big problem is to get all of the black soot, and creosote off of the lid edge.  Not an easy task. Ruined 2 whole towels in the process.  Tomorrow will try the separation test. 

okie smokie

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2020, 09:01:02 PM »

Permatex did not stick well to the applied side, partly due to sticking harder to the scotch tape on the other side. Sooooo--- I reaped and smeared grill cooking spray on a rag and wiped the scotch tape with it and recalled.  We shall see.  Still have about half of the lid to do if it works.  Or will need razor blade to remove the silicone if not.  Fun experiment.  More to follow.

Canadian John

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2020, 07:26:40 AM »

Permatex did not stick well to the applied side, partly due to sticking harder to the scotch tape on the other side. Sooooo--- I reaped and smeared grill cooking spray on a rag and wiped the scotch tape with it and recalled.  We shall see.  Still have about half of the lid to do if it works.  Or will need razor blade to remove the silicone if not.  Fun experiment.  More to follow.
Bar Keepers leaves a minutely fine powder behind. If the silicone was applied to a surface cleaned w/ Bar Keepers and not further cleaned w/ a solvent such as acetone or alcohol, that would explain the  silicone not adhering. Just a guess on my behalf.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2020, 10:42:31 AM »

Okie, try just putting the silicone on the lid and closing it on waxed paper.  That's worked in other applications.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up