Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wire Grill Brushes - Okay to use, or high risk of death?  (Read 1743 times)

Chuck

Re: Wire Grill Brushes - Okay to use, or high risk of death?
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2017, 08:45:52 PM »

A really good super cheap alternative is wadded up foil. Probably works the best out of anything I've ever used.
Now why didn't I think of that??

I have grillgrates and just invested in their plastic brush with plastic bristles. Sounds suspicious but they claim to be able to take 450° surfaces.  I just got it so haven't tried it out yet.

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2017, 09:57:04 PM »

A really good super cheap alternative is wadded up foil. Probably works the best out of anything I've ever used.

I have grillgrates and just invested in their plastic brush with plastic bristles. Sounds suspicious but they claim to be able to take 450° surfaces.  I just got it so haven't tried it out yet.

I like the wadded aluminum foil when it is hot, and the plastic scrub pads when it is cooled down.  I never worry about the underside, but when is gets too gunky, I just place the grates in my oven and turn on the "clean" mode.  That is rare, but it does breaks it down to ash.

Fire708

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
  • Shelton!
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2017, 12:20:20 AM »

I use wadded up foil or a grill brick. The grill brick molds to the grates and cleans the sides of the rods. Works well for me.

InThePitBBQ

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2017, 01:17:07 AM »

I use commercial brass fryer brushes, they work great and about the only thing I notice them shedding is grease come time to toss it for a new one.

Toddler

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2017, 02:36:30 AM »

Those bristles are no joke.  People end up in the ER if they get stuck in the esophagus, and sometimes they can't be removed without surgery.  I switched over to using this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NB9XBRI/

Some reviewers said the pads shredded quickly, but that has not been my experience.  The pads are made by 3M and I've found some off-brand replacements that commercial kitchens use which are much cheaper than the ones the maker wants to sell you.  I'll be trying those when the time comes, but I've been using it for all of 2017 so far and I'm still on the first pad that came with the brush (I think it came with two or three pads).

Chris__M

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
    • Food Adventure
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2017, 07:08:53 AM »

I am another who uses a wad of foil, simply held in a grill mitt. It works fine for me.
Chris LG FS Legacy 1200, GMG Davy Crockett, OnlyFire Tabletop Pellet Grill, Weber Smokey Joe, ProQ Cold Smoking Cabinet

MN-Smoker

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2017, 11:39:18 AM »

Those bristles are no joke.  People end up in the ER if they get stuck in the esophagus, and sometimes they can't be removed without surgery.  I switched over to using this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NB9XBRI/

Some reviewers said the pads shredded quickly, but that has not been my experience.  The pads are made by 3M and I've found some off-brand replacements that commercial kitchens use which are much cheaper than the ones the maker wants to sell you.  I'll be trying those when the time comes, but I've been using it for all of 2017 so far and I'm still on the first pad that came with the brush (I think it came with two or three pads).

I think the significance of the injury is legit.
I often wonder about the frequency of the occurrence that:

1.  One gets in the food
2.  It gets into someones mouth
3.  They don't notice it while chewing
4.  it gets into someone's digestive system - esophagus.

I've read the report of it happening and someone needing surgery, but has it happened more than once, or is this occurring at the same rate of birds flying into your face, breaking your nose?

Firecraft Q-450 Broilmaster Superb Gasser

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2017, 12:06:29 PM »

I find wood plastic and aluminum foil just do not work for me...I always brush my grates using a bristle brush or metallic scrub pad;HOT right after the food comes off, then wipe the top and sides using a paper towel..The grates stay clean this way..The trick is the paper towel and making sure to do the sides as this gets the top 2/3 of each bar clean....I cook almost daily and have been for decades...

The bottoms do get a caked on grunge on them that I remove by using a 1/2 round concave metal scraper that matches the grate diameter. Depending on what I cook This may be done 2 to 4 times a year.

SO:Not sure? Want to be safe? Just think of how you clean-up. In a hurry on not always 100% clean when done?? Play it safe!

GregW

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2017, 04:26:51 PM »

I have always used wire brushes and will continue to do so.
I also believe in Darwin's law of natural selection. Some people will find a way to do harm to themselves in the most unusual ways.

With that being said, I do look over the grates to make sure there are no bristles left behind before cooking.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2017, 04:48:35 PM »

And I have no doubt that they can cause issues.  But I guess all mine fall through to the grease tray!  And I use .89 cent ones from Harbor Freight, so I am sure they do it!

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

TechMOGogy

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2017, 10:46:48 PM »

Like FMT I just replace often and watch the grill and brush
Just common sense will go a long way on this on
GMG DC, FEC100, PK360

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2017, 10:44:31 AM »

Just a note on "brass" bristles. Some brass contains lead.  It may be a concern to some.

lamrith

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2017, 10:55:47 AM »

MY biggest question is;
WHAT CHANGED!?!???

Wire brushes have/had been the standard for cleaning grills for many decades.  Never did we hear about people ingesting bristles, getting sick, etc.  Now suddenly in the last 1-2yrs the news, bbq forums and FB are flooded with stories of it.  I even had one of my customers find a bristle on one of his cooks.  So it is a change in Mfg process, the new brushes are just not made like they used to be?  I find it extremely hard to believe that this has been a problem since the begining and nobody heard about it....

I have an old brush I have used forever, never dropped a bristle, but it is worn out.  I am trying one of those new wood paddle things and just not impressed with how it does the job.

Clonesmoker

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2017, 02:58:38 PM »

I have one with the scouring pad on the other side of it. I used to have bristles after using it on a hot grill. Hard to remember about the plastic bristles.  It does have the scraper that has the curved sides it so you can clean one rod of the grill grate at at time.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up