Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by acguy on 14 Jul 2020
  • I have a friend that sent me a great skewer that came from bbq hack in KS. So today it was time for Al Pastor Tacos.
  • #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 14 Jul 2020
  • Tell us more about that cook - what meat was used, how did you prepare it, how was it cooked, etc.  Looks great.  I am curious as to whether I should buy one of those hacks or not since Bentley doesn't have materials to make one  ;)
  • #3 by Osborn Cox on 14 Jul 2020
  • I miss Mexico, love getting those from street vendors.
  • #4 by Bar-B-Lew on 14 Jul 2020

I worked their for either 15 or 18 months in the late 90's into 2000.  I ate locally everyday that I was there.  I went to Burger King if I had no one else to go with me because I knew I could order a combo by # in Spanish.
  • #5 by glitchy on 14 Jul 2020

I worked their for either 15 or 18 months in the late 90's into 2000.  I ate locally everyday that I was there.  I went to Burger King if I had no one else to go with me because I knew I could order a combo by # in Spanish.

You couldn’t muster dos tacos and coca cola without help? If you’re still hungry go back and order dos more ;)
  • #6 by glitchy on 14 Jul 2020
  • There’s a series on tacos on Netflix and I’ve watched 3-4 of the episodes. The Al Pastor episode was great. Acguy, you’re version looks really tasty.
  • #7 by acguy on 14 Jul 2020
  • Tell us more about that cook - what meat was used, how did you prepare it, how was it cooked, etc.  Looks great.  I am curious as to whether I should buy one of those hacks or not since Bentley doesn't have materials to make one  ;)

Sorry, I was in a rush to post my photo’s as I was quite pleased with the results. I bought a small 2lb pork shoulder that I sliced into 1/2 in pieces. I followed a recipe I found on tasty website. Not sure if I can post a link here for that site. The marinade was vinegar, pineapple juice, salt, pepper, dried oregano, chili powder, cumin, anchiote paste and garlic powder. Marinade for minimum 2 hours. I put 3 slices of pineapple (bottom,middle,top) with slices of the pork on the skewer. On to the DB at 325F at 1:30pm and I temp checked it at 4:15 and it was at 135F in the center. I also placed more pineapple slices around the skewer. The tacos were garnished with white onion, pork, salsa and pineapple, chopped cilantro and lime juice.
    Delish
  • #8 by Hank D Thoreau on 15 Jul 2020
  • Based on the edges, those look like homemade tortillas. Homemade corn tortillas are the best !!!!

https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=4867.msg56561#msg56561
  • #9 by cookingjnj on 15 Jul 2020
  • acguy, that cook looks awesome.  Thanks for providing the ingredients.  I am thinking it would a tasty cook even without the large skewer, and now will have to try it out.
  • #10 by yorkdude on 15 Jul 2020
  • That looks really good, I'd be in for a 2nd helping, that's for sure.
  • #11 by acguy on 15 Jul 2020
  • acguy, that cook looks awesome.  Thanks for providing the ingredients.  I am thinking it would a tasty cook even without the large skewer, and now will have to try it out.

It may work without the skewer but I think you would lose some of the flavor without the pineapple juice. It is not obvious from the photo but I started the stack with a slice of pineapple then added 4 slices pork then another slice of pineapple then more pork then another slice of pineapple topping with a fatty end piece of pork.
    I have used bamboo skewers in the past but it was very unstable.
  • #12 by Bar-B-Lew on 15 Jul 2020
  • That's nice how that skewer stand fits into a standard size aluminum pan.
  • #13 by acguy on 15 Jul 2020
  • That's nice how that skewer stand fits into a standard size aluminum pan.

It was actually just a bit larger but I pressed it down and it was held tight with just about 1/4 inch Gap from the bottom.
  • #14 by cookingjnj on 16 Jul 2020

It may work without the skewer but I think you would lose some of the flavor without the pineapple juice. It is not obvious from the photo but I started the stack with a slice of pineapple then added 4 slices pork then another slice of pineapple then more pork then another slice of pineapple topping with a fatty end piece of pork.
    I have used bamboo skewers in the past but it was very unstable.

Yeah I could see how not using the skewer would effect overall flavor if you don't have the juice running over the meat during the cook.  I was thinking grill the pineapple separate, but would not be the same flavor at the end.  I do not think it would ever be bad, just different, but your way is ideal.
  • #15 by Bentley on 16 Jul 2020
  • Why no onion?
Pages:
Actions