Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by okie smokie on 15 Jul 2020
  • Hard to find a brisket flat lately, but got a 7 lb one today at a private butcher shop.  Well trimmed, choice for mmmdf$ a pound. Suffice to say that a separated and trimmed flat (or point) will cost you double or more.  It will just get mustard, and Ben's Heifer Dust (RecTec) which is mainly, salt, pepper, smoked paprika, garlic, ancho chili, and granulated onion, parsley.  Heavily dusted tonight and fridge over night.  On the pit at 6 AM. at 250. With pan of water.  Foiled at the stall, with some beef broth, and continued at 250* until internal temp of 205* or such.  Will depend on the "poke" test to really know when it is done. Wrapped and in warmer for couple of hrs or such.  Pics to follow.  I don't like to do complex formula's etc for preparation, and this is the simplest I've done so far.
  • #2 by reubenray on 16 Jul 2020
  • I will be doing a 6 lb flat in a few days for my wife's birthday.  If it will fit in my rotisserie basket I will use it.  If not I will do it the regular way.

How long did your's take?
  • #3 by triplebq on 16 Jul 2020
  • Sounds like a good flat cook plan to me. I bet it will be  :lick:
  • #4 by okie smokie on 16 Jul 2020
  • Made and error in my opening note.  Will do the cook at 225*.  Here is the flat trimmed to go. And then seasoned. It was on the smoker at 6AM with a pan of water.  Probe in the thickest part. It was up to 160 by 10AM (plus/minus), So I pulled it and wrapped in double foil with 1/2 cup apple juice.  Back in smoker at 10:15AM and now at 11:27AM it is at 167*.  Gonna go to 193* or about before I test for tenderness. This time tenderness not temp will tell me when to pull. Last time it went to 203 or about. Pics below: packaged flat, packaged flat, seasoned flat before cook.  No pic when I wrapped it. Sorry.

• #5 by 02ebz06 on 16 Jul 2020
  • Looks good.  :clap:
    Any reason you don't get full packer?
    Burnt Ends are favorite part for friends and family here.
  • #6 by reubenray on 16 Jul 2020
  • Made and error in my opening note.  Will do the cook at 225*.  Here is the flat trimmed to go. And then seasoned. It was on the smoker at 6AM with a pan of water.  Probe in the thickest part. It was up to 160 by 10AM (plus/minus), So I pulled it and wrapped in double foil with 1/2 cup apple juice.  Back in smoker at 10:15AM and now at 11:27AM it is at 167*.  Gonna go to 193* or about before I test for tenderness. This time tenderness not temp will tell me when to pull. Last time it went to 203 or about. Pics below: packaged flat, packaged flat, seasoned flat before cook.  No pic when I wrapped it. Sorry.

That looks very similar to the one I have.  My wife got it at BJ's.

Can't wait to see the finished product pics.
  • #7 by okie smokie on 16 Jul 2020
    Just two of us home.  I too like burnt ends, but just didn't feel like doing the whole packer this time.  As it is the brisket will last us more than 8 meals, since we just usually make one sandwich each or a  couple of slices for each as a main course.  I did save the au juice, and strained the fat off.  It has a nice flavor with just a little bite from the ancho's.. The flat is now in the warming oven since about 2:11PM when it reached 203 and was found to be tender. Oven is off but was warm when I put it in.  I don't have a need for toweling, since the oven is well insulated. Will pull it about 4PM and get pics before and after slicing.
  • #8 by 02ebz06 on 16 Jul 2020
    Just two of us home.  I too like burnt ends, but just didn't feel like doing the whole packer this time.  As it is the brisket will last us more than 8 meals, since we just usually make one sandwich each or a  couple of slices for each as a main course.  I did save the au juice, and strained the fat off.  It has a nice flavor with just a little bite from the ancho's.. The flat is now in the warming oven since about 2:11PM when it reached 203 and was found to be tender. Oven is off but was warm when I put it in.  I don't have a need for toweling, since the oven is well insulated. Will pull it about 4PM and get pics before and after slicing.
    Just the two of us as well, we vacuum seal it in quantities for a couple meals.
    Makes an easy meal when it is already cooked.
  • #9 by okie smokie on 16 Jul 2020
  • Here is the final:  Turned out very good, and tender.  Ben's Heifer Dust is a winner.  Has a nice little bite from the chili's. I added the juices back after slicing. Ended up with 5 more meals.  No sammies tonight, but had baked beans, and lettuce wedges.

• #10 by Bar-B-Lew on 16 Jul 2020
  • Looks great.  And, I have that same spatula.
Pages:
Actions