Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Free Mr. Tony on 18 Jul 2020
  • I had seen this video awhile back and kept in the back of my mind.
    https://youtu.be/nUkuMCLBIkg

I was skeptical, as I've got plenty of experience with beef ribs. They also seem to be really working on the meat with their teeth in the video getting the meat from the bone.

These were exceptional. Cooked for about 3.5 hours with fire around the meat, but not under. They ended up in the medium range. Some pull, but not in the way I anticipated. The fat was still visible, but melted in your mouth. Had a butter like quality, and was just delicious.

I really didn't think beef ribs could be cooked to this temp without sous vide and be edible. I have changed my mind.

• #2 by Canadian John on 18 Jul 2020

•  They just look GOOD. To me that is true Q.
  • #3 by yorkdude on 19 Jul 2020
  • Oh mercy those look fantastic. Nicely done.
  • #4 by pmillen on 19 Jul 2020
  • That's a great cook and super interesting.  It might be fun for guests to observe.

Did you leave both the hood and fire door open?

I might be able to simulate that set-up if I can scale some dimensions from your photograph.  What's the width of the door openings?
  • #5 by 02ebz06 on 19 Jul 2020
  • Looks tasty, nice looking pit.
  • #6 by Free Mr. Tony on 19 Jul 2020
  • That's a great cook and super interesting.  It might be fun for guests to observe.

Did you leave both the hood and fire door open?

I might be able to simulate that set-up if I can scale some dimensions from your photograph.  What's the width of the door openings?

The fire door opening is 32w x 10h. The hood opening is 32w x 6h straight up, then 32w x 10 at probably a 45 degree angle.

Cooked the entire time just as you see in the picture. Aside from the heat coming off of it on an already sweltering day, it was a fun cook to watch and smell.

Thanks for the kind comments from others as well.
  • #7 by Bar-B-Lew on 19 Jul 2020
  • that looks like about 5 types of BBQ pits in one unit
  • #8 by pmillen on 19 Jul 2020

Ain't that the truth.
  • #9 by Free Mr. Tony on 19 Jul 2020

It's definitely a multi tasker.  Many seem to not like that type of unit, but I've always been drawn to them. It truly does everything well, so I have been very happy.
  • #10 by Bar-B-Lew on 19 Jul 2020
  • You need to figure out where to put a griddle, a rotisserie, and one of this spits for gyros.
  • #11 by Hank D Thoreau on 19 Jul 2020
  • One of my favorite meals. A hard part is finding the meaty ribs like you have...and then, not screwing them up.

• #12 by yorkdude on 19 Jul 2020

It's definitely a multi tasker.  Many seem to not like that type of unit, but I've always been drawn to them. It truly does everything well, so I have been very happy.
    I bought a (correct me if I’m wrong) what I would know as a Santa Fe grill. I did some work at a prison at Florence Penitentiary. The folks would make them amongst other things and sell them. Somewhere I have pictures. We would crank the carriage up with a hot fire. Let it do its thing and slowly l would lower it. Your grill brings back so many delicious memories. The chicken was fantastic. Now to find the pictures.
  • #13 by Free Mr. Tony on 19 Jul 2020

I bought a (correct me if I’m wrong) what I would know as a Santa Fe grill. I did some work at a prison at Florence Penitentiary. The folks would make them amongst other things and sell them. Somewhere I have pictures. We would crank the carriage up with a hot fire. Let it do its thing and slowly l would lower it. Your grill brings back so many delicious memories. The chicken was fantastic. Now to find the pictures.

There could be a Sante Fe grill. My hunch is that you are referring to a Santa Maria grill.
  • #14 by Free Mr. Tony on 19 Jul 2020
  • One of my favorite meals. A hard part is finding the meaty ribs like you have...and then, not screwing them up.

I honestly was willing to sacrifice this cook as an experiment. I really wasn't expecting much, and figured I could chop them to throw in the Crock-Pot with some sauce if they were terrible.

I can get prime Chuck shortribs from fresh market. They run about 7.99/lb.
  • #15 by yorkdude on 19 Jul 2020
  • Yep, that’s it. We would put 1/2 chickens on it and just adore the smell. By far the best chicken I have ever eaten. The rendering would just kiss the fire and make nothing but delicious. Man I miss it.
Pages:
Actions