Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Therapen  (Read 1356 times)

urnmor

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
Therapen
« on: July 21, 2020, 09:23:25 AM »

Has anyone had their classic thermapen go bad and if so could you fix it or did you need to replace it.  Mine no longer reads and I tried a new battery.  It did not work.  Thanks

Kyle from ThermoWorks

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
Re: Therapen
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 09:43:42 AM »

Just a heads up, the Classic Thermapen uses two of the coin cell batteries. If you didn't replace them both, I would try that first. If that doesn't work, give Tech Support a call and they can troubleshoot further.

urnmor

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 09:58:48 AM »

Just a heads up, the Classic Thermapen uses two of the coin cell batteries. If you didn't replace them both, I would try that first. If that doesn't work, give Tech Support a call and they can troubleshoot further.

I have the original super fast thermapen 5.  It takes one of the small 12 v batteries

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 10:11:42 AM »

My Classic Thermapen started to not come on sometimes. I sent it in, had it evaluated and repaired. The tech I dealt with said he could rebuild it to better than original condition. I went with the repair. That

was a few years back. Still works well to this day.

Suggestion - If your Classic is beat up to the point of costing more than a minor repair, go with the MK4. It is just so much better: 1 AAA battery that has 2X the life and ~ 1/10 the cost over the 2 button cells.

Waterproof vs resistant. Display light. Auto rotating display. Better auto off features - simply touch the unit to turn it back on vs close + reopen (saves wear + tear). The downside, it costs just a bit more.

More than offset by its features.  I have both Thermapens. Had them for some time now.  Forgot. If you go with the MK4 and get the protective cover, it has a tether/string that  allows you to hang it up.  :2cents:

« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 01:37:05 PM by Canadian John »

urnmor

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2020, 12:36:02 PM »

My Classic Thermapen started to not come on sometimes. I sent it in, had it evaluated and repaired. The tech I dealt with said he could rebuild it to better than original condition. I went with the repair. That

was a few years back. Still works well to this day.

Suggestion - If your Classic is beat up to the point of costing more than a minor repair, go with the MK4. It is just so much better: 1 AAA battery that has 2X the life and ~ 1/10 the cost over the 2 button cells.

Waterproof vs resistant. Display light. Auto rotating display. Better auto off features - simply touch the unit to turn it back on vs close + reopen (saves wear + tear). The downside, it costs just a bit more.

More than offset by its features.  I have both Thermapens. Had them for some time now.  Forgot. If you go with the MK4 and get the protective cover, it has a tether/string that :2cents: allows you to hang it up. 

I will no doubt purchase a new one however I am going to wait to see if they offer a discount.  I can get along without it for now as I have a number of their thermometers.

Osborn Cox

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2020, 12:40:05 PM »

I always wait until they have the “open box” sale, good prices, full warranty.    I have never been able to tell that the item I purchased was “open box”.  I’m trying to be patient waiting for a Signals sale.
Cookshack PG1000, GMG Jim Bowie Prime, Traeger Lil Tex(retired), Blackstone Griddle

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2020, 12:45:04 PM »

I always wait until they have the “open box” sale, good prices, full warranty.    I have never been able to tell that the item I purchased was “open box”.  I’m trying to be patient waiting for a Signals sale.

Signals is 20% off and ends today.  And, The Wand is 25% off too.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Osborn Cox

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2020, 12:46:20 PM »

I just saw that!   Done and done, as soon as I can find the link to give Pelletfan credit.
Cookshack PG1000, GMG Jim Bowie Prime, Traeger Lil Tex(retired), Blackstone Griddle

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2020, 01:12:37 PM »

?tw=PelletFan

add that onto the end of the website address on Thermoworks
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2020, 07:10:59 PM »

I have one of the older ones. It goes out at times if you move or rotate the probe in or out. Seems to have  few dead spots. Never thought about having it repaired. I have one of the new ones that I use most of the time. The fastest one,the orange one.

urnmor

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2020, 08:24:46 PM »

I have one of the older ones. It goes out at times if you move or rotate the probe in or out. Seems to have  few dead spots. Never thought about having it repaired. I have one of the new ones that I use most of the time. The fastest one,the orange one.

I sent an email and also called therampen and they were very helpful.  they sent me a guide on how to repair mine as it is no longer made, however I decided to purchase a new one.  It was 85 dollars.  I also received an email from them with a much better offer.  I will need to send mine back however for $64 dollars and change I can get the newest one.  So now I will have two of the newest one but am quite sure one of them will walk to one of my son's home.

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2020, 09:21:09 AM »

You will have a happy son. That's a fantastic gift..

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2020, 09:13:41 AM »

I got an email from Thermoworks that they have an open box sale on Thermopops so I ordered one since I don't trust my cheapo Walmart one any more.  I wasn't sure where this was supposed to go, so I pasted it at the end of every page during the ordering process.  I must've done something right, because I got a confirmation number in my email.   :cool:

?tw=PelletFan

add that onto the end of the website address on Thermoworks
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2020, 09:21:03 AM »

That Thermopop is a nice little thermometer if you don't need an immediate temp read like the Thermapen.  I have a few of them and have bought them for folks as gifts too.

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2020, 10:13:43 AM »

I reckon I can wait three or four seconds for it to register.  That's what I'm used to anyway and at that price I most certainly can wait a few seconds for a reading I can trust.  I'm sure I'll talk myself into a Thermapen in the future.  If they're on sale, that is.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up