Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by reubenray on 21 Jul 2020
  • I smoked a 6 pound flat that my wife got from BJ's.  It was choice grade with a nice fat cap on it.  I started it at 200 degrees and after about 6 hours I bumped it up to 225 to get through the stall.  Once it reached 170 meat temperature I took it off the rotisserie and wrapped it in foil until it reached 205.  It then set in an ice chest for 1 1/2 hours.  This was for my wife's and a neighbor's birthdays.  This was the best brisket I have ever done.  It was juicy and falling apart tender.  It took a total of 10.5 hours.  Pictures are coming.
  • #2 by reubenray on 21 Jul 2020
  • Pictures
  • #3 by reubenray on 21 Jul 2020
  • More pictures
  • #4 by yorkdude on 21 Jul 2020
  • That looks excellent. Nicely done.
  • #5 by pmillen on 21 Jul 2020
  • Great looking flat.  On a rotisserie, too.  Nice idea.

Did you retrofit the rotisserie or is it a standard item on your pit?
  • #6 by Bentley on 21 Jul 2020
  • Now this is a time when I believe that the fat on a brisket would actually baste a piece of meat!
  • #7 by reubenray on 21 Jul 2020
  • Now this is a time when I believe that the fat on a brisket would actually baste a piece of meat!

It did do a very good job of self basting, plus there was very little mess.
  • #8 by hughver on 21 Jul 2020

I agree, did most of the fat cap render before you foiled?
  • #9 by Jimsbarbecue on 21 Jul 2020
  • What a great idea
  • #10 by reubenray on 22 Jul 2020

I agree, did most of the fat cap render before you foiled?

Yes it did.  I ended up with 3/4 of a cup of au jus when I took it out of the foil.  It was a good thing that I had it in a pan also or I would have had a big mess.  I did not take a picture of the fat cap side.  I was a solid piece about an 1/8" to 1/4" thick.  I did not trim off any before or after smoking it.  My wife wanted to cut it off before slicing, but I did not.  It was very tasty.  When I started to cut it I was not perfectly cross grain and it was falling apart until I got more cross grain.  Even then I could not cut thin slices being it was so tender.  Several people made the comment it was perfect being they did not have to cut anything with the plastic forks and knives we were using.
  • #11 by cookingjnj on 22 Jul 2020
  • Atta boy.  Great looking brisket.
  • #12 by Brushpopper on 22 Jul 2020
  • I guess that's how you answer the old question of fat cap up or fat cap down?  We need fat cap 'round and 'round as an option now.  Looks fantastic!  :clap:
  • #13 by BigDave83 on 22 Jul 2020
  • That looks great.

How well did it spin with it being offset and heavy on one side,or did you have counterweights?
  • #14 by lil moose on 22 Jul 2020
  • Making me droooooooool  :clap: :clap: :clap:
  • #15 by reubenray on 22 Jul 2020
  • That looks great.

How well did it spin with it being offset and heavy on one side,or did you have counterweights?

It actually turned pretty good.  I had no counterweights.  I had an issue when I first started where it would turn fine and then when I closed the lid it would thunk.  I finally figured out that the basket was hitting my after market temperture sensor in my lid.

The "shiny" picture did not do justice to what I saw.  What I saw was the juice rolling round and round.  There was very little juice actually dripping off.  I just ate the last of it.  Our Yorkie also enjoyed it very much.
Pages:
Actions