Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by jdmessner on 23 Jul 2020
  • Things are looking up. My grills went into storage in May as we were getting ready for our move. The smaller Pit Boss will be the first to arrive sometime today! It will be here just in time to celebrate another lap around the sun with my brother-in-law who happens to share the same birthday (even though mine was a few years before his).

My brother-in-law is a vegetarian. A while back I was given some “impossible burger” so this will a chance to try it. I don't really see any advantage to it and don’t really know what to do with it. I guess that is why they call it impossible! I’ll figure out something, but any ideas are appreciated. To go along with it “MikeMcQ’s twice baked salmon salad open faced sandwiches” are on the menu, it has become a family favorite. We also have been blessed (?) with a bunch of rather large zucchini, so I will add some smoked zucchini slices.

Overall the move has been positive. The people have been very welcoming and have made us feel at home. The boxes are dwindling slowly, but there still seems like a never ending number of them every where you turn!

However, we did have a rough time last week when we had to have our dog put down. She was at the point where there were just too many health issues she was dealing with. She eventually stopped eating and drinking and as much as we didn't want to admit it, it was time. Sadie was a good and faithful friend.  She was always ready to help check on whatever was cooking outside, her assistance will be missed. We got her when we first moved to our previous home. She was with us for 13 years and helped raise our two kids into two pretty good adults. She taught them the value of loyalty, unconditional love, and the importance of keeping squirrels out of the yard! 
  • #2 by Kristin Meredith on 23 Jul 2020
  • I am so sorry about Sadie, JD -- it is always difficult, but sounds like you all had lovely times.  Hope everything goes well in your new pulpit.
  • #3 by Canadian John on 23 Jul 2020
  •  Condolences.  You can always look forward to meeting up with Sadie at the Rainbow Bridge. It's such a hardship when a beloved pet leaves us. I have been through it many times.
  • #4 by pmillen on 23 Jul 2020
  • Sadie's loss is heartbreaking for you and your family and for those of us who also have canine valued family members.

Oh, so sad for your family, but so much better for Sadie.  You gave her a great life as a beloved family member, and she gave you a lifetime of unconditional adoration.  Now is when this tragedy teaches us a lesson in grieving with grace.  So hard to do, but remember that you haven't taken anything from her, you've given something to her: a release from a kind of life she couldn't enjoy.  Love and condolences for you all.
  • #5 by Bar-B-Lew on 23 Jul 2020
  • Sorry to hear of your loss.  Maybe you need a new pup just like you did when you last moved.  I know it has helped my wife get thru losing our last dog in April by having a new one within two months later even though she claimed she was going to sell it to the highest bidder today after the dog once again decided not to potty outside.

Glad to hear everything else seems to be working out well for you.

Speaking of zuchinis.  A co-worker of mine in the Chicagoland area showed us some he grew in his garden this year during a video call.  They may have been the largest I have ever seen.  Seems like this year is great zuchini growing season across the midwest.
  • #6 by yorkdude on 23 Jul 2020
  • Sure sorry to hear that, they sure have a way of wagging their way into the core of our hearts.
    It's always tough, hang in there knowing you did right by her, RIP Sadie.
  • #7 by Bentley on 23 Jul 2020
  • What a wonderful life Sadie had with great owners and children that loved her and were so ready to receive her unconditional love.  And Loved her enough to not let her suffer! 
  • #8 by jdmessner on 24 Jul 2020
  • Thank you for your condolences on the loss of Sadie, they were much appreciated. She loved everyone, but she had a deep bond with my wife. A new dog is going to be up to her. Right now it is no, perhaps that will change with time.

The impossible burger was kind of strange. The texture and smell was more like dog food. I did read that it is best cooked thin. I mixed it with Montreal Steak seasoning and some Memphis BBQ sauce. Probably over cooked it, but with a plant based meat how can you tell? My brother-in-law thought it was great, so I guess it was a success!
     [ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #9 by yorkdude on 24 Jul 2020
  • Please don't take this wrong, to me, it looks like super thin carrot cake with no icing.
    Yeah, still a no. You lost me forever at "dog food".
  • #10 by jdmessner on 24 Jul 2020
  • Please don't take this wrong, to me, it looks like super thin carrot cake with no icing.
    Yeah, still a no. You lost me forever at "dog food".

I cannot take it the wrong way because there is no right way! I actually thought they looked like thin uniced brownies.
  • #11 by Bentley on 24 Jul 2020
  • Great looking brownies, how did the burgers turn out?    :pig:
Pages:
Actions