Pages:
Actions
  • #136 by Bar-B-Lew on 30 Jan 2021
  • #13 25% off with an order thru the phone app

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #137 by Bentley on 30 Jan 2021
  • Looking at the thickness of that meat and cheese, I would have a hard time believing that is 10.75oz. of meat.  Either my scale is wrong or there is!

What do you think the meat sequence was?  Pretty sure the pepperoni was on top, then maybe salami, after that, I have no idea.  I have to try and get my slices even thinner, I do love a super thin slice.  I also have to reverse the lettuce, onions and tomato.

• #138 by Bar-B-Lew on 30 Jan 2021
  • This is the order they list on the website and seems like it could be how it is layered from the roll up: Provolone, ham, prosciuttini, cappacuolo, salami, and pepperoni
  • #139 by Free Mr. Tony on 30 Jan 2021
  • This is the order they list on the website and seems like it could be how it is layered from the roll up: Provolone, ham, prosciuttini, cappacuolo, salami, and pepperoni

That seems about right from watching them do it enough. The 1st 3 meats are hard to mimick as well. They all are some sort of compressed meat combo that most likely isn't readily available to the average consumer. It's like a good version of subways cold cut combo meat.
  • #140 by Bar-B-Lew on 30 Jan 2021
  • Bentley, I also usually get hot yellow peppers and jalapenos on mine too.  If I don't do that, I get the cherry pepper relish instead.  It is a big watery and makes the sandwich a little sloppier to eat.  Not sure if you put peppers on yours or not.
  • #141 by Bentley on 30 Jan 2021
  • If I had known they had a red pepper relish in the past I would have asked for that every time!  Thanks for the heads up...although I doubt I will be in a Jersey Mike's for quite some time!  Thanks for the sequence too!
  • #142 by Free Mr. Tony on 30 Jan 2021
  • The pork I asked about yesterday in a different thread ended up being cooked to 160 on my pellet grill. Cooled overnight and sliced thin on the slicer today. With the thin sliced meat, it was plenty tender at that temp.

Baked the bread just a couple hours ago.

The bread was made using the king arthur recipe. Instead of six 8" loaves, I made two 24" loaves. The bread is pillow soft on the inside and delicious.

Filled the bread with mayo, swiss, sliced pork, ham, pickles, jalapeno, onions, and mustard. I know I have seen many times that mayo is blasphemous on cubans, and also have not seen jalapenos on many. The man who I am trying to copycat is literally from Cuba.  This is how he made them in his shop. If it is good enough for him, it is certainly fine by me.

A really terrific sandwich.
  • #143 by Bar-B-Lew on 30 Jan 2021
  • looks great

what kind of mustard, pickles, and onions and where they raw?
  • #144 by Free Mr. Tony on 30 Jan 2021
  • looks great

what kind of mustard, pickles, and onions and where they raw?

Normally, sweated onions, raw dill pickles, and yellow mustard. 

Tonight, raw onions, dill pickles, and didn't realize I was out of yellow mustard. I had bavarian mustard on hand and it actually was really good on it.
  • #145 by Bentley on 30 Jan 2021
  • I have only had a couple of them and only in LA, but it looks authentic to me.  And this is not a slight on your sandwich, it is one that has never appealed to me.

Which one did you use?  I like their recipes!

The bread was made using the king arthur recipe. 

• #146 by Free Mr. Tony on 31 Jan 2021
  • I have only had a couple of them and only in LA, but it looks authentic to me.  And this is not a slight on your sandwich, it is one that has never appealed to me.

Which one did you use?  I like their recipes!

The bread was made using the king arthur recipe. 

I'm not sure why, but when I see a cubano on a menu I have a hard time not ordering it. That means I've had many over the years. Alot of people are pretty loose with their interpretations. I've had some really good, and some really bad.

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/cuban-sandwich-recipe

I had lard on hand, so that is what I used. I looked through countless pictures of cuban bread and really none of them looked close to what the guy I was mimicking was baking. The king arthur version looked the closest so I went with that. It ended up being pretty similar from what I remember.
  • #147 by 02ebz06 on 31 Jan 2021

• I'm not sure why, but when I see a cubano on a menu I have a hard time not ordering it.

I'm with you on that.  :cool:
    First one I ever had was at a Jimmy Buffett Restaurant (Cheeseburger In Paradise) in Delaware.
    I was hooked.

For the last ones I made, I got the recipe from GlobalTableAdventure.
    http://globaltableadventure.com/recipe/recipe-cuban-bread-pan-cubano/

Lard seems to be the key to being authentic.

I watched a video of a place in Miami (largest Cuban population in the US) that brushed melted lard on the outside before pressing  the sandwich.
  • #148 by Bar-B-Lew on 31 Jan 2021
  • Here is my yankee version of a cubano using what I had available in the house already made and thawed.  Maybe I will call it the Lewbano.  My buddy made the mustard, the peppers, and the pickles using my brothers BBQ rub he gets made for his business.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #149 by 02ebz06 on 31 Jan 2021
  • A Lewbano, I like it!
  • #150 by Bar-B-Lew on 31 Jan 2021
  • A Lewbano, I like it!

Not to be confused with Lou Albano
Pages:
Actions