Pages:
Actions
  • #316 by yorkdude on 19 Jun 2021
  • Not sure of this would be allowed in this thread, it is kind of a sandwich. They call it a pickle sub. 5 bucks to make any of their subs in to one. This was the Italian. Hard salami, cappicola, provolone. I little market/sub shop that has been around for ever in Windber PA. Leone's Market. I stopped and got this one last week after an appointment and went back for another one today after an appointment. Todays did not look as nice, they were swamped with orders, so presentation suffered but flavors did not.
    That sounds great. What a neat idea.
  • #317 by Bentley on 19 Jun 2021
  • So do they slice the pickle like a roll, where there is a hinge to it?
  • #318 by Bar-B-Lew on 19 Jun 2021
  • So do they slice the pickle like a roll, where there is a hinge to it?

I was wondering the same thing
  • #319 by 02ebz06 on 19 Jun 2021
  • Not sure of this would be allowed in this thread, it is kind of a sandwich. They call it a pickle sub. 5 bucks to make any of their subs in to one. This was the Italian. Hard salami, cappicola, provolone. I little market/sub shop that has been around for ever in Windber PA. Leone's Market. I stopped and got this one last week after an appointment and went back for another one today after an appointment. Todays did not look as nice, they were swamped with orders, so presentation suffered but flavors did not.

What is it, just a pickle with the sandwich ingredients on a bed of lettuce ?
  • #320 by BigDave83 on 19 Jun 2021
  • Just a large pickle they halve, then put everything in it and put 2 fancy toothpicks through it to hold it together. It isn't on a bed of lettuce, there is shredded lettuce on each end I guess you eat it with it. I usually just salt and pepper the lettuce and eat it.

No hinge.

Looking at the pic I posted this is the messy one. Here is last weeks. Much neater looking as they folded the meats.
  • #321 by Bar-B-Lew on 19 Jun 2021
  • My buddy and my brother love pickles.  I wouldn't be surprised if one of them drives the 3.5-4.0 hours each way to get one of those sandwiches one day.
  • #322 by Chris__M on 19 Jun 2021
  • I wrote a short bit about sandwiches in the UK in another thread I'd started, and it was suggested I should post it over here too. So here it is, reworded and rearranged a bit.

I was asked if sandwich shops and delis are a thing in the UK the way they are in the US. The answer is definitely.

First of addressing what we Brits call a sandwich - usually a cold filling between two slices of bread. Although some hot versions are common - a bacon butty (sandwich) is a common thing to grab for a breakfast on the go - 2-3 strips of back bacon, with either tomato or brown sauce. Another hot sandwich that comes to mind is a salt beef sandwich - what you guys call corned beef (which means something else over here).

But the basic sandwich - meat, or cheese, or egg, or..... - is still very much the lunch of the office worker or the person on the move.

As such every food shop and supermarket will have a sandwich chiller cabinet filled with prepackaged sandwiches, with a variety of bread types and fillings. Everything from a very ordinary cheese and tomato or egg and cress on white bread, to quite deep filled sandwiches on fancy breads. (For example, a popular seasonal sandwich is a Christmas "Turkey and Trimmings" sandwich - turkey, sage and onion stuffing, bacon and sliced sausage, with mayonnaise and cranberry jelly)

Some stores will make them themselves, particularly if they have an in-house bakery; but most are bought in - sandwich making is a big business.

The largest company by far to supply sandwiches to stores is Greencore, who turned over £1.3 billion last year (that is not all sandwiches - they supply something like 600+ million packs of sandwiches in a year. The total market is about 2 billion packs, while it is estimates 8 billion sandwiches a year are made at home.

A step up from the supermarket sandwich, we have many independent bakers still who usually also do sandwiches, except they are more likely to make them to order, and with their own bread.

Then also many cafes will offer sandwiches - also self-made, on the menu along side hot food.

In between the last two would be the tea room - a kind of cafe, but somewhere you would go for afternoon tea (or morning coffee), offering a small spread of sandwiches, small cakes or possibly scones, jam and cream. Perhaps more a social event than a meal.

Then you have the actual sandwich chains. A big chain here is "Pret" (full name "Pret a Manger") doing hot and cold drinks, snacks and sandwiches and wraps. Although a chain, a Pret sandwich is a bit special, a step up from a supermarket sandwich - Chicken, Avacado and Basil, Breakfast Egg and Bacon, Italian Prosciutto with salad - you get the idea - in a sandwich, wrap, 6inch roll or footlong.

We also have the Subway chain, which many of you will be familiar with.

And then finally you have the burger joints, which we don't consider sandwiches, but my American friends refer to them as, so I'll include them.

But probably, more sandwiches are sold from the supermarkets than all the others, I would guess.
  • #323 by Chris__M on 19 Jun 2021
  • And here is my own entry... home made pastrami with mustard and beetroot and apple slaw, on rye.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #324 by Bentley on 19 Jun 2021
  • Will you ever find the "butty" served after breakfast?  What is the difference between your corned beef and ours?

Are you familiar with our delis?  I guess a Germany invention, do you have those, is that kind of like the independent bakers that will make sandwiches?

- a bacon butty (sandwich) is a common thing to grab for a breakfast on the go - 2-3 strips of back bacon, with either tomato or brown sauce. Another hot sandwich that comes to mind is a salt beef sandwich - what you guys call corned beef (which means something else over here).

A step up from the supermarket sandwich, we have many independent bakers still who usually also do sandwiches, except they are more likely to make them to order, and with their own bread.
  • #325 by yorkdude on 19 Jun 2021
  • A version of an Italian sandwich but we made these on pumpkernickl that we had for breakfast toast this morning. Pretty dang good.
  • #326 by Bar-B-Lew on 19 Jun 2021
  • Decent Italian hoagie for $9 at a local pizza shop that I have not been to for a year or so.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

• #327 by yorkdude on 19 Jun 2021
  • Decent Italian hoagie for $9 at a local pizza shop that I have not been to for a year or so.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
    Boy howdy, that’s a great looking sandwich.
  • #328 by Chris__M on 20 Jun 2021
  • Will you ever find the "butty" served after breakfast?  What is the difference between your corned beef and ours?

Oh yes, any time.

"Butty" is a slang term for a hot sandwich - I think originating in the north of England, or possibly Scotland. I think the "butty" refers to the butter on the bread that melts with the hot food.

However, it has spread in use for particular uses - so talk of "bacon butties" is not uncommon even in the south - I think the alliteration helps - and "chip butties" are also common (what we call potato chips, and you call fries, piled high between two slices of buttered bread, with ketchup or brown sauce.

Are you familiar with our delis?  I guess a Germany invention, do you have those, is that kind of like the independent bakers that will make sandwiches?

Yes, and we have them too. Recent excitement in my little town, is that the butcher, who is excellent and had started to sell additional "deli" items, acquired the shop opposite last year, during lockdown, and opened a combined deli and green grocer, with all of the vegetable produce outside. Competing with the town's single supermarket, they have done a great trade.

The only reason I don't use the butcher more is that are a little averse to doing anything special. For them, pork shoulder and brisket is rolled, and even though they do their own butchery themselves, if you ask them for a whole brisket or a blade-in pork shoulder, they are not really that interested. Hence why I use the online butchers. But for the popular meat joints, and their own burgers and in-house sausages, they are brilliant.
  • #329 by Bentley on 20 Jun 2021
  • If it is not to much trouble, next time you are in, ask them if they use rusk in their bangers and if so, do they bake it themselves?
  • #330 by 02ebz06 on 22 Jun 2021
  • Had to make a run to Home Depot, and Jimmy John's was in the area.
    Got the Cubano - Ham, Swiss, Bacon, and pickles.
Pages:
Actions