Pages:
Actions
  • #331 by Bar-B-Lew on 22 Jun 2021
  • Had to make a run to Home Depot, and Jimmy John's was in the area.
    Got the Cubano - Ham, Swiss, Bacon, and pickles.

Been a while since I have been to a Jimmy John's and I have never had that sandwich.  How was it?  I usually get the Italian.
  • #332 by 02ebz06 on 22 Jun 2021
  • I looked at the Italian first, then saw the Cubano and I love Cuban sandwiches so had to try it.
    Not really a Cuban Sandwich, but had most of the ingredients.

It was a pretty good sandwich.  Had mayo and just a hint of mustard on it.
    I like the rolls. Harder on outside, but not crusty, if that makes sense.
  • #333 by Chris__M on 22 Jun 2021
  • I missed this question.
    What is the difference between your corned beef and ours?
    In the UK, or at the very least in England, corned beef is universally understood to be chopped or minced salt beef (corned beef to you), usually supplied in an oddly shaped can, bigger at one end than the other (to make it easier for the meat to slide out), and opened with a key.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

This is largely down to history. Something very similar (if not the same - I am not sure) was known during the war as bully beef, and was part of rations both for the troops and folk at home. During the 50s and 60s we imported ship-loads of the stuff from argentina. It was a cheap sandwich meat, or might be had cold with a salad, or cooked with potatoes and veg as a hash. Corned beef fritters (sliced, dipped in batter, and fried) was also a thing.

It was so much a thing, that when proper corned beef became more common on the market, we started calling what you call corned beef "salt beef".

And that is how it has stayed. I think most people who think about it, these days, aren't confused, but the names persist.

Also, nowadays, you will often see sliced corned beef in a deli, just laid out like ham, and turkey and other meats; also prepacked sliced in supermarket chill cabinets. I know for a fact that some of it comes in large commercial cans, and the butcher takes it out and slices it. But I know at least one deli who make it themselves, to a fairly luxurious standard (like a salt beef terrine).

Having said all that, I remember being served proper Corned Beef in Ireland, and I suspect that it  is also called that in Northern Ireland.

1960s TV ad for Fray Bentos Corned Beef:
    https://www.hatads.org.uk/catalogue/record/5c28fa53-cc8b-4308-8769-0296a94f1a5a
  • #334 by 02ebz06 on 22 Jun 2021
  • Ingredients are a little different than a product we have here called SPAM.
    SPAM has pork with ham added, salt, water, modified potato starch, sugar, and sodium nitrite.
    You probably have SPAM there as well, it's sold in many countries.
    8 billionth can was sold in 2012.

Good ol' meat in a can...

• #335 by Bar-B-Lew on 22 Jun 2021
  • My wife buys the Hormel corned beef in a can.
  • #336 by Bentley on 22 Jun 2021
  • How many quid for a can Chris?
  • #337 by Chris__M on 22 Jun 2021
  • Oh we have spam here as well - I used to love it as a kid, but now I can't stand it.  :D

Corned beef looks and tastes more like real meat.

A 340g tin is £2.40 ($3.35). So it's not that cheap, these days.
  • #338 by okie smokie on 22 Jun 2021
    We buy corned beef hash in a can and have it with eggs for breakfast. The tiny potato cubes really make it good. Just fry it up in a pan and then use pan for the eggs. Yum!
  • #339 by Bar-B-Lew on 22 Jun 2021
    We buy corned beef hash in a can and have it with eggs for breakfast. The tiny potato cubes really make it good. Just fry it up in a pan and then use pan for the eggs. Yum!

I don't eat it.  My wife boils it with cabbage, corn, and diced tomatoes.
  • #340 by Bar-B-Lew on 05 Jul 2021
  • Not sure if this qualifies for a sandwich but part of my breakfast yesterday was a biscuit with sliced NY strip steak, sliced sausage and bacon

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #341 by Bar-B-Lew on 10 Jul 2021
  • I'm working thru things left in the fridge

Aldi Everything Bagel
    2 slices Black Forest Ham
    1 slice Cooper White Sharp American Cheese
    2 slices Johnsonville sausage
    2 slices Bacon

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #342 by 02ebz06 on 10 Jul 2021
  • Nice sandwich.   :lick:
    I need to make some bagels.  Been a long time.
  • #343 by Bar-B-Lew on 10 Jul 2021
  • Nice sandwich.   :lick:
    I need to make some bagels.  Been a long time.

Those one's that FMT made were great looking.  Haven't seen him on here in a while.  I hope he is doing well.
  • #344 by Bar-B-Lew on 14 Jul 2021
  •  [ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #345 by yorkdude on 14 Jul 2021
  • BBL, did you make that?
    Wow, that looks fantastic.
Pages:
Actions