Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Free Mr. Tony on 25 Jul 2020
  • Bar-b-Lew's post about sandwiches made me think of a sandwich of my youth called the Hoosier Hog.  I grew up in a small town.  Like 500 people in the city limits.  There was a place like many other small towns had called the Dairy Sweet.  Our highschool was the Warriors.  The football coach owned the Dairy Sweet, and the specialty was a Big Chief, and a Little Chief.  For a Big Chief, picture a Big Mac except replace the Thousand Island with sugar-sweetened Mayo without the onion or pickle.  The Little Chief was just a single patty version.  They were delicious, and I have very fond memories. 

A sandwich that my mom liked  that was less popular (but still great) was the Hoosier Hog.  A polish sausage split down the middle on a hoagie roll with shredded lettuce, and the same sweetened Mayo from the Big Chief.  This was not on Lew's list, and to my knowledge, was a one-off not found anywhere else. 

So last night I made a batch of Polish Sausage, and stuffed them this morning.  Later, I will make the dressing, shred some lettuce, and smoke the sausage. I may add a little onion.  In fact, it may have had onion on it. I can't quite remember.  Sometimes my mom would get cheese, but I will leave that off. 

I'm really looking forward to this, and thanks for the memories Lew.

• #2 by Bentley on 25 Jul 2020
  • Is your Polish primarily garlic after the meats or are you more into the American Polish with the spices involved?
  • #3 by Free Mr. Tony on 25 Jul 2020
  • Is your Polish primarily garlic after the meats or are you more into the American Polish with the spices involved?

Salt, pepper, garlic, sugar, oregano, cure, and milk powder is it. Most recipes use marjoram that I have seen. I have fresh oregano in the garden so I used that. I have before and like the flavor. No spices at all though other than salt and pepper.
  • #4 by Bentley on 25 Jul 2020
  • My kind of Kielbasa.  I think I would love it!  Looks like a great amount of fat, you use a pretty course die for grinding I assume?  How long do you air cure it before you cook?  Do you smoke it then cook, or just wood heat till done?  Any special bun?
  • #5 by yorkdude on 25 Jul 2020
  • Man that looks and sounds terrific. I apologize for looking like an idiot but they are hanging in?????
    A side by side refrigerator cubby?
  • #6 by Free Mr. Tony on 25 Jul 2020
  • My kind of Kielbasa.  I think I would love it!  Looks like a great amount of fat, you use a pretty course die for grinding I assume?  How long do you air cure it before you cook?  Do you smoke it then cook, or just wood heat till done?  Any special bun?

I've done both on the grind. This was the biggest die. It was basically 4 lbs pork butt and 1 pound fat back for a 5 lbs batch. Most of the time I mix and stuff, then hang for about 24 hours. I didn't feel like stuffing last night so it sat bulk in the fridge overnight. Stuffed this morning.

They will have had about 8 hours to dry out, as I'm getting ready to throw them in the smoke right now. I shoot for 150 pit temp until they are almost done then up it a bit to finish them to about 155 internal or so. Ice bath, dry off, and hang typically overnight. Today, one will get sacrificed early. I will slowly reheat on the grill, split down the middle, and make my sandwich.

Lately, I've been using Turano rolls for pretty much everything. They are the perfect sandwich bun when toasted. Without toasting, just average. They are used heavily in Chicago region for Italian beef, sausage, strombolis,etc. If you have been to a Potbelly Subs pretty sure it's what they use. If not, they are nearly identical.

• #7 by Free Mr. Tony on 25 Jul 2020
  • Man that looks and sounds terrific. I apologize for looking like an idiot but they are hanging in?????
    A side by side refrigerator cubby?

Yeah. Just a normal side by side fridge I have in the garage. I just put up some hooks that stay in there, and cut some wooden dowels to size.
  • #8 by Bar-B-Lew on 25 Jul 2020
  • I used to enjoy Turano rolls when I lived in the greater Chicagoland.  Looks great FMT.  Looking forward to seeing the final sandwich. 
  • #9 by Bentley on 25 Jul 2020
  • Looks like more then 20% fat, must be the grind.  I know the sandwich/sausage is meant to be split, but my heart breaks anytime I see that done to a link!  In all the places i have lived in my life, and never have I even lived where there is a "specialty" baker!
  • #10 by Free Mr. Tony on 25 Jul 2020
  • Looks like more then 20% fat, must be the grind.  I know the sandwich/sausage is meant to be split, but my heart breaks anytime I see that done to a link!  In all the places i have lived in my life, and never have I even lived where there is a "specialty" baker!

It's definitely more than 20% fat. I would guess the butt is 80/20 by itself, then you are adding a pound of pure fat.

Even if it's split after heating, it's heartbreaking?  I don't like to split and then heat, but splitting just for serving purposes doesn't bother me. 

About and hour and 15 in...
  • #11 by Bentley on 25 Jul 2020
  • Not quite as bad if it is done after cooking!  Is the place you used to get them at still in business?
  • #12 by Free Mr. Tony on 25 Jul 2020
  • Not quite as bad if it is done after cooking!  Is the place you used to get them at still in business?

Unfortunately, no. I graduated in 1996. A few years after that, the owner was getting older and sold it. They kept the name, but it went downhill fast. I believe he may have bought it back at one point, but it eventually changed to a different restaurant altogether. I believe that it is now a bank, but it's been probably close to 20 years since I've driven by that spot.

The owner at one point had the most wins of any Indiana highschool football coach. I believe it was surpassed since. He was also a guidance counselor at our school. I played for him and have respect for him, but we actually didn't get along all that well.

It was actually more of an ice cream spot. Right across from the park I played little league. We would get 1.00 to spend there if we won, 50 cents if we lost. They had something called a Boston cooler that was amazing. Seemed about 50/50 ginger ale and vanilla ice cream. Amazing.
  • #13 by Free Mr. Tony on 25 Jul 2020
  • Looks like the sandwich will wait until tomorrow. I believe we are getting something out tonight.

Bentley, are you still planning on heading north?  We are going to ziffles tonight which is somewhere I considered going with you guys. It's bbq-ish which I know you guys aren't into anymore but the sausage rolls and other offerings are really good. Their pizza also seems like it would be your style. Straight up American, loaded with cheese and toppings.
  • #14 by Bentley on 25 Jul 2020
  • We were trying to head your way to escape the heat, but it is as hot where you are as I think it is here, with higher humidity!  If your weather beaks and ours stays hot, yes!
  • #15 by pmillen on 25 Jul 2020
  • I played for him and have respect for him, but we actually didn't get along all that well.

Interesting thought.  The coach that I got along with the most used to put his arm across my shoulders and tell me, in effect, that I was his fair-haired boy.  He couldn't remember my name when I ran out of eligibility.  And that's Division One sports in a nutshell.  A good lesson for a 21-year old.

I learned, later in life, that most employers would sell my kidneys if they could.
Pages:
Actions