Poll: Do you have a beef rib preference?

Plate Short Ribs (most commonly called beef short ribs.)
Chuck Short Ribs
Back Ribs

Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bentley on 28 Jul 2020
  • Plate Short Ribs

Chuck Short Ribs

Back Ribs

• #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 28 Jul 2020
  • I've disappointed myself several times buying and smoking the back ribs only to be left with a ton of bone and barely any meat.  I thought I was getting a good deal until they were finished and there was nothing to eat.

I would like to make the ribs that I have seen on here with the single bones and about 2 inches of meat on top.  Not sure if they are plate or chuck.
  • #3 by Bentley on 28 Jul 2020
  • Pretty sure you want Plate Rib!  But you can get the same results you are looking for with Chuck, the Plate just has more marbeling and flavor then the Chuck, but what do I know, I want Back ribs!  All the others seem like little steaks on a bone, and that aint beef ribs to me!
  • #4 by Bar-B-Lew on 28 Jul 2020
  • Pretty sure you want Plate Rib!  But you can get the same results you are looking for with Chuck, the Plate just has more marbeling and flavor then the Chuck, but what do I know, I want Back ribs!  All the others seem like little steaks on a bone, and that aint beef ribs to me!

I got back ribs here a few times for $4 for a rack the size of what was in your picture.  Not $4/#.  $4 for the rack.
  • #5 by yorkdude on 29 Jul 2020
  • I like either the plate or chuck. The back ribs we have gotten never have any meat.
  • #6 by triplebq on 29 Jul 2020
  • At my local Restaurant Depot/Chef Store the Short Ribs are a full plate short rib cut in 1/2. I prefer the whole short rib (dinosaur bone).
  • #7 by cookingjnj on 29 Jul 2020
  • Since I have only ever made the Plate Ribs (bone in first time two nights ago), my vote was for the Plate Rib.  The vote might change down the line when I try others, but man those plate ribs are good!
  • #8 by Free Mr. Tony on 29 Jul 2020
  • Prefer plate, but can't them much. Can get prime Chuck whenever I want, and they are good. Back ribs I've got lucky with a bad butcher a few times where they left too much ribeye on there. They are great then, but that is kind of a unicorn scenario.
  • #9 by Bentley on 29 Jul 2020
  • I remember years ago in Fresno.  A local supermarket called Save Mart would have back ribs at Memorial, 4th of July and labor Day usually.  They would sometime be as low a .98¢.  They would be so ridiculously "fingered", by the time they were cooked, they would be a bite her and a bite there, but at the price, you really did not care.

Ahhh, those were the day!
Pages:
Actions