Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Clonesmoker on 31 Jul 2020
  • My wife had a package of skinless beer brats of which five came in the package. With the three of us I figured I better get few more so I got three beer brats with the skin on. I wanted to see if there was any difference in taste. I kept them on the smoker for 1.5 hours at 150-180 and hit 225 the last 20 minutes or so. Here is what I ended up with. The brats with the skin had snap to them, which I loved.  I also thought they had better flavor. I don't know if the skin did not let the fat render out or what. Still both were great. I need to smoke brats all the time, just for moisture retention on both. They both were juicy and almost had a polish sausage type aroma to them. The sweet pickled hot peppers were also a great addition over regular relish.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
     [ Invalid Attachment ]
     [ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 31 Jul 2020
  • Looks great.  I love taking sausage and putting on the smoker at 250° for about 45-60 minutes.  I've found I can keep the casing in tact that way and get as much smoke flavor as I need.  These do need to sit for about 10 minutes or you run the risk of burning the roof of your mouth from the juices as you take those first few bites.
  • #3 by cookingjnj on 31 Jul 2020
  • Great looking brats right there.  Like the idea of the sweet pickled peppers.  Nice job. 
  • #4 by Bentley on 31 Jul 2020
  • And I just love talking sausage.  They look great!
  • #5 by urnmor on 31 Jul 2020
  • love them so next time please invite
  • #6 by Bar-B-Lew on 31 Jul 2020
  • And I just love talking sausage.  They look great!

I could eat sausage several times a week
  • #7 by 02ebz06 on 31 Jul 2020

• I could eat sausage several times a week

I'm with you on that.
    Make my own for pizza and brats.
    I'm fine with Johnsonville though. :)
  • #8 by Trooper on 31 Jul 2020
  • Phrett

RIP

He was the brat king.
  • #9 by Bentley on 31 Jul 2020
  • Him and Jeri sure taught me how to cook them...and they were so kind.  They sent Kristin & I these one Christmas in Las Vegas!
  • #10 by Free Mr. Tony on 31 Jul 2020
  • Him and Jeri sure taught me how to cook them...and they were so kind.  They sent Kristin & I these one Christmas in Las Vegas!

My favorite brand by a country mile.

Looks great.  I love taking sausage and putting on the smoker at 250° for about 45-60 minutes.  I've found I can keep the casing in tact that way and get as much smoke flavor as I need.  These do need to sit for about 10 minutes or you run the risk of burning the roof of your mouth from the juices as you take those first few bites.

Wish I would have read this about 20 minutes ago. I literally just finished burning nearly all the skin in or near my mouth on a reheated polish from last weekend.
  • #11 by GREG-B on 31 Jul 2020
  • I too could eat brats a couple times a week.  And Johnsonville is also good with me.
  • #12 by Bar-B-Lew on 01 Aug 2020
  • I don't know what it is, but I do not like brats.  I love italian and polish sausages of many flavors, but just don't like the flavor of brats for some reason.
Pages:
Actions