Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: The Potato Chip Thread  (Read 8338 times)

TravlinMan

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Re: The Potato Chip Thread
« Reply #135 on: June 15, 2022, 07:11:57 PM »

Most likely local to the area, found these at our local Sam's Club.
Found in different flavors, plain is great, as well at Cherry BBQ.
I'm in SW Lower Michigan, these are made in Traverse City(NW Upper MI)

[ Invalid Attachment ]
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 07:53:29 PM by TravlinMan »
Memphis Pro * Louisiana Grills LG-700 * Country Smoker Traveller * Traeger PTG

elenis

« Reply #136 on: June 15, 2022, 11:21:29 PM »

The one thing that we havent lost in our small area of the world is Sterzing's Potato chips. These potatoes chips and maybe a little beer are probably the number one reason I have the full figured physique that I have. Once only available in a 25 mile radius which luckily I grew up in. I worked in a chemical plant outside of  this radius and the number one thing my coworkers requested from me was to bring in some Sterzing potato chips.
z

What makes them so special? I know there are chips I like as far as flavor. I love regular Wise chips, A local chip Gibbles, uses lard to fry  them in, nice flavor and crunch.

We have another company that sells no salt chips, Herrs, I really like them. I am usually a regular chip guy.
They are just old fashion kettle fried potato chips with a good crunch and the right salt level. Government regulations regarding what type of oil they used to fry them messed up the flavor for a while but they are close to the original flavor again now. I see they are available online at a ridiculous price. Usually they are on sale locally 3 bags for $10

The Gibbles look pretty good and may be similar to Sterzings.

We have a company like that where I grew up in Lexington, Ohio called Jones potato chips. The government did that ban on trans fats being in food and once the company they bought oil from stopped making the oil they made their chips in  they stopped offering those chips rather then ruin the flavor. The original Jones chips were marcelled and they switched to wavy and ripple chips instead. Still good, but nothing like the old ones.
Mak 2 Star General #1799

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
« Reply #137 on: June 16, 2022, 07:59:02 AM »

My body is odd in a lot of ways. I can eat plain chips any flavor, but if I eat wavy chips like ruffles or most any brand I end up with heartburn. I like them they just don't like me. Some hash browns are the same way, the little cubed one will do it also, no matter where I get them. But shredded or patties no issues.

Zombini

• Using less gas.
« Reply #138 on: June 16, 2022, 12:04:36 PM »

Utz old fashioned kettle cooked taste very similar to Gibbles IMO

Another local favorite chip In SE Iowa is Kitchen Cooked made in Farmington Ill. They are very similar to Sterzing's made In Burlington Iowa. People will argue over which chip is the best. I just seen where Kitchen Cooked was purchased by Utz in 2019 and more recently they announced they are closing the factory in Farmington and will move production to another factory. I wonder if the chips will remain the same? My vote for which is the best chip will go with Sterzings since they have remained a family business...Ill go with the small guy.
z
Zombini

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #139 on: June 16, 2022, 12:57:37 PM »

It is funny, I do not ever remember any "local" potato chips when we lived in California, from the 60's to the 21st Century.  There was Frito-Lays, Laura Scudder's & Granny Goose.  In the mid 70's Pringles came out.  Nothing like you all are talking about. 
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #140 on: June 16, 2022, 02:23:34 PM »

It is funny, I do not ever remember any "local" potato chips when we lived in California, from the 60's to the 21st Century.  There was Frito-Lays, Laura Scudder's & Granny Goose.  In the mid 70's Pringles came out.  Nothing like you all are talking about.

Never heard of Scudder's or Goose.  I suspect they could have been regional.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

W6YJ

« Reply #141 on: June 16, 2022, 04:08:32 PM »

Boy, I had completely forgotten about Scudder's chips.

Living most of my life in southern California, I can't possibly count how many of her chips I'd eaten over the years.

Hank D Thoreau

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Civil but disobedient
« Reply #142 on: June 21, 2022, 08:34:12 PM »

I like thick cut potato chips the best. The kind that you find freshly cooked in restaurants, that are still a little soft in the middle.

They are easy to make. I sliced russet potatoes using a mandoline slicer and deep fried in the oil left over from my taco breakfast.

The great thing about homemade is that you can make them the way you like them. You can use whatever spices you prefer, or like me, eat them plain with catsup.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
« Last Edit: June 21, 2022, 08:43:36 PM by Hank D Thoreau »

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #143 on: June 22, 2022, 10:37:40 AM »

Those look perfect!!!   Never though of catsup on chips, but I guess they are just flat French fries.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Hank D Thoreau

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Civil but disobedient
« Reply #144 on: May 26, 2023, 08:43:17 PM »

Big couple of days cooking. After spending two days on smoked salmon, I smoked lamb chops. To add injury to my already tired self, I decided to make potato chips again.

This time I went through all the steps: slicing with a mandolin, soaking in ice water to remove the outer starch layer, drying and then frying in a pan.

I decided to add a red sweet potato to the mix. The chips turned out really good. I did some experimentation with how long to fry them. I like thick chips that are a little soft in the middle.

These turned out thinner than I thought. Since I was not submerging them in a deep fryer, they would curl and end up with both crispy and soft sections. This was what I was looking for.

The surprise was how much sweet potatoes shrank. Also, the sweet potato chips never got crisp in the pan. They crisped up while cooling.

I would have added some pictures of the cooking process, but my camera started shooting blurry pictures.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Sweet potato chips

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Finished product of regular and sweet potato chips.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

« Last Edit: May 26, 2023, 09:34:59 PM by Hank D Thoreau »

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #145 on: May 26, 2023, 08:53:45 PM »

looking good, I like the brown chips when I find them in a bag. Have not done chips in many years. Growing up Woman would bust out the electric skillet and make chips, then they went in to a brown paper bag with some salt and give a gentle shaking.

Now I want to make chips, my Dr. won't be happy about that though.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #146 on: May 26, 2023, 09:12:45 PM »

I am gonna assume the darker discoloration on the Sweet Potato is due to sugar content?

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #147 on: May 26, 2023, 09:14:11 PM »

Picked these up at Aldi's last weekend.  The Bratwurst were really good.  Haven't tried the Beer ones yet.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #148 on: May 26, 2023, 09:15:38 PM »

Aldi's it is then!

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #149 on: May 26, 2023, 09:24:51 PM »

Got these a few weeks ago.  Newest Summer flavors.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Up