Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: The Potato Chip Thread  (Read 8332 times)

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: The Potato Chip Thread
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2020, 08:38:12 AM »

Wow!  I didn't realize Unique had made it outside of PA.  I used to have my parents ship me a box of them to wherever I was living at the time.  They have been my favorite pretzel for about 35 years.  Once I am thru these chips, I was going to start a pretzel thread.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2020, 08:54:32 AM »

Potato Chips - Lay's Chile Relleno

Flavor Profile:
Sour Cream
Onion
Cheddar
Slight hot pepper aftertaste

This is a thin chip style similar to most Lay’s potato chips that are not ridged or kettle cooked.  It is inspired by the chile relleno dish at Cocina Azul in Albuquerque, NM.  The chip did not taste like a chile relleno to me.  It tasted more like a cheddar sour cream and onion potato chip which wasn’t necessarily a bad thing.  I did have a lingering spice tingling in my mouth after eating several handfuls of these chips.  It just kinda snuck up on me.  Not the type of spice that has you running for milk to calm the heat and burn nor the type that has you sweating.  Just enough to let you know there was some sort of hot pepper in the spices included in the mix.

While I enjoyed eating them and will finish the bag, I see no need for me to buy another bag.  BTW, this flavor in the Flavor Icons 2020 Series is exclusive to Walmart and 7-11.  If you like the flavor profile that I described, you may want to go get a bag and give this limited edition flavor a try.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 08:56:15 AM by Bar-B-Lew »
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

02ebz06

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2020, 10:17:20 AM »

Cocina Azul has three locations here in Albuquerque. Never been to any of them.
If we go went out to eat, it is was someplace close, withing 10 minutes.
Plenty of restaurants in that distance.
Sadies Mexican Restaurant makes homemade chips that are really good.

I'm amazed how many different potato chip companies and varieties of chips there are around the country.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2020, 11:49:45 AM »

This is not aimed at you Lew, I think you get it.  And I think most will get my point, as most folks on here are smarter then me.

Its like pmillen said a few months ago...folks don't under stand "Pennsylvania Dutch", I am not to sure the reporter does.  Is Hanover a city in Dutchland?
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2020, 12:01:28 PM »

Hanover is a city south of Harrisburg, PA which is the state capital and located in the south central portion of the state very close to Maryland state line.  The Pennsylvania Dutch were immigrants from parts of Germany and Austria to the eastern portion of PA.  Either my great grandfather or his parents were some of those immigrants.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2020, 12:34:10 PM »

I was thinking of the original Hanover!

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2020, 12:34:44 PM »

Hanover is a city south of Harrisburg, PA which is the state capital and located in the south central portion of the state very close to Maryland state line.  The Pennsylvania Dutch were immigrants from parts of Germany and Austria to the eastern portion of PA.  Either my great grandfather or his parents were some of those immigrants.

I can't say if Pennsylvania Dutch is my heritage, but I am only about 2 generations removed from Amish.  Delagrange, Lengacher, and Graber are some of the more common names around here. Any overlap in your area?

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2020, 01:25:19 PM »

I can't say if Pennsylvania Dutch is my heritage, but I am only about 2 generations removed from Amish.  Delagrange, Lengacher, and Graber are some of the more common names around here. Any overlap in your area?

Don't recognize any of those names.  The Amish are about 75 minutes southwest of area where I live.  Most of the PA Dutch were Lutheran religious denomination.

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2020, 03:00:03 PM »

they sell those Zapps out this way

I think I have seen them at Dollar Gen, Family Dollar or Big Lots, I don't remember which one though.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2020, 03:16:08 PM »

I've seen them at the local grocery store, Weis, and at the local gas station/convenience store, Wawa.

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2020, 04:11:54 PM »

they sell those Zapps out this way

I think I have seen them at Dollar Gen, Family Dollar or Big Lots, I don't remember which one though.

My aunt used to ship me cases from Louisiana. She lives in New Orleans. I never saw them here until Fresh Thyme came to town. They carry most varieties. It's the only places I've seen them here outside of Potbelly Subs.

They have the hot version of the voodoo chips. I typically like heat, but in that case I think it takes away from the nuance of the chip. Much prefer the regular voodoo.

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2020, 04:14:27 PM »

The one out of your list that I would want to try the most would be he Nashville Hot.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2020, 05:23:03 PM »

I think you worked in Tecate or some where close to TJ.  I am making an assumption, like me, you have had the dish several times in Mexico.  So this is all I need to hear.  Although, maybe Cocina Azul has a different take on it?  I would think they guys in the lab would say...Ya know marketing, sour cream & onion is one thing, these other things...Come On Man!

The chip did not taste like a chile relleno to me.

W6YJ

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2020, 08:31:26 PM »

If you're a hot food junkie, take a look at Paqui chips.

They also make a Carolina Reaper chip once a year that has one chip per bag.
Hard to eat, and I am a hot chili junkie.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Up