Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: The Potato Chip Thread  (Read 8333 times)

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: The Potato Chip Thread
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2020, 08:37:42 PM »

If you're a hot food junkie, take a look at Paqui chips.

They also make a Carolina Reaper chip once a year that has one chip per bag.
Hard to eat, and I am a hot chili junkie.

Those ghost pepper Paqui chips are great.  I can't find them around here anymore.  I thought they used to have a chipotle cheddar too.  I don't think I would do the one chip challenge.  I've seen too many videos of people in agony after trying it.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

W6YJ

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2020, 09:16:49 PM »

Same here. A local Walmart used to carry them, but not any longer.
Sigh...

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2020, 09:41:17 PM »

Same here. A local Walmart used to carry them, but not any longer.
Sigh...

It looks like a local CVS has the ghost and jalapeno flavors.  Gonna have to check that out and get a bag of each.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

W6YJ

« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2020, 10:15:41 PM »

That got me excited.
Checked the local CVS stores and all they show is nacho cheese.
Maybe I will have to order them on line.

Clonesmoker

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2020, 09:13:04 AM »

Had a place called Battle's BBQ where I went to college at. Served their BBQ with Ruffles.  Ruffles dipped in their signature sauce, along with dipping it in there french bread buttered toast was the bomb!!  Sadly they closed their doors due to the death of the owner and the family squabble over trying to take over. They had fresh squeezed lemonade too. Thankfully though one of the former managers has started his own BBQ place and has sauce that eerily resembles the old sauce.  He sells it around the area but I get back there to buy some,  it's out.  :(

Ralphie

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2020, 11:06:53 AM »

BBLew, I enjoyed that Pennsylvania Dutch snack food article. Reminded me that my dad grew up with a good friend in Easton, PA who became a marketing executive at Utz.

Every Christmas he would send our family a huge barrel of Utz potato chips. After many years he switched companies and joined Snyder of Hanover. That’s when he started sending us a huge barrel that was sectioned into different flavored popcorn and pretzels.

Every year around Christmas through most of the 70’s and 80’s our staple snacks would be Mom’s Christmas cookies and that enormous barrel of Utz or Snyder’s snacks.
Some years that tin barrel would be the size of a beer keg.

I’m plain Jane when it comes to salty snacks. Still to this day my all time favorite potato chips are Utz regular chips.  Thankfully they are carried everywhere in NC.
Rec Tec Stampede RT-590  40 going on 13

elenis

« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2020, 01:33:59 PM »

We have lots of local chip brand here in central Ohio. We can find Grippos like were already mentioned. Mike Sells, Conns, but my favorite are very regional and come from where I grew up in Mansfield, Ohio. Jones potato chips. They were forced by the government to stop producing the best chips they made, but they are still good. They used to use an oil with trans fats in it.
Mak 2 Star General #1799

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2020, 01:41:36 PM »

Funny, I wonder if California had local chips when I lived there and I never knew about it.  Not sure why all the other parts of the country would have all these regional brands I have never heard of, much less seen!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2020, 01:55:47 PM »

Funny, I wonder if California had local chips when I lived there and I never knew about it.  Not sure why all the other parts of the country would have all these regional brands I have never heard of, much less seen!

Cali may be too health conscious to have their own potato chip manufactures  ;D

Free Mr. Tony

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2020, 06:09:39 PM »

Ralphie mentioned Snyder's of Hanover. Their pretzel chunks that are coated (and I mean coated) with flavoring are my favorite pretzel. About as bad as a pretzel can be for you though. There is probably an 1/8 inch of butter, seasoning, God knows what on every one. The buffalo and honey mustard are my favorite.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2020, 06:15:05 PM »

Folks keep throwing in their pretzel thoughts.  That thread will come later unless someone else wants to start it before I finish my chips I bought on Saturday. ;)

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2020, 09:07:43 AM »

Potato Chips - Lay's Carnitas Street Taco

Flavor Profile:
Steak
Onion

This is a rippled chip style similar to Ruffle’s potato chips.The chip did taste like a taco to me.  It tasted like steak and onions.  Then, I looked at the picture on the bag, and noticed it was pulled pork and not steak on the taco.  Pork is even listed as an ingredient as are jalapeno peppers.  I did not taste the jalapenos.

While I enjoyed eating them and will finish the bag, I see no need for me to buy another bag.  If you like the flavor profile that I described, you may want to go get a bag and give this limited edition flavor a try.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2020, 09:16:54 AM »

Potato Chips - Lay's Nashville Hot Chicken

Flavor Profile:
Cayenne
Waffle
Wafer

This is a thin chip style similar to most Lay’s potato chips that are not ridged or kettle cooked.  The chip slightly tasted like Nashville Hot Chicken to me.  It tasted more like a spicy waffle or wafer..  I did have a lingering spice tingling in my mouth after eating several handfuls of these chips.  It was noticeable from the first bite and continued to feel hotter the more you ate.  I really enjoyed them from that standpoint.  I just couldn’t get over the dry wafer taste of the chip, and did not taste the chicken as listed twice in the ingredients.

While I enjoyed eating them and will finish the bag, I see no need for me to buy another bag.  If you like the flavor profile that I described, you may want to go get a bag and give this limited edition flavor a try.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2020, 09:26:28 AM »

Potato Chips - Utz Grillin’ Classics Cheeseburger

Flavor Profile:
Mustard

This is a thin chip style.  The chip tasted like mustard to me.  I could not really discern any other ingredients beyond that.  It reminded me of a chip from 25 years ago made by Snyder’s of Hanover, the Coney Island Hot Dog flavor.

While I enjoyed eating them and will finish the bag, I may buy another bag because they remind me so much of the other chips I loved 25 years ago.  If you like the flavor profile that I described, you may want to go get a bag and give this limited edition flavor a try.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Free Mr. Tony

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2020, 09:10:58 PM »

Potato Chips - Lay's Nashville Hot Chicken

Flavor Profile:
Cayenne
Waffle
Wafer

This is a thin chip style similar to most Lay’s potato chips that are not ridged or kettle cooked.  The chip slightly tasted like Nashville Hot Chicken to me.  It tasted more like a spicy waffle or wafer..  I did have a lingering spice tingling in my mouth after eating several handfuls of these chips.  It was noticeable from the first bite and continued to feel hotter the more you ate.  I really enjoyed them from that standpoint.  I just couldn’t get over the dry wafer taste of the chip, and did not taste the chicken as listed twice in the ingredients.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Your mention of chicken flavor reminded me of some chips I used to be able to buy at a kitchen store in our local mall. Store has long closed, and I have no idea if you can still get them anywhere. They were the best hot wing chip I've ever had. Very distinctive chicken flavor. They truly tasted very similar to a hot wing.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12   Go Up