Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Smeauxkin on 02 Aug 2020
  • I noticed the name change on the app then verified it on the website.  Wonder if they cashed in? Anybody hear anything?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

• #2 by BigDave83 on 02 Aug 2020
  • It was some type of lawsuit they lost. They were trying to trademark their name rec tec grills I think. The issue was that there is and has been for quite a while a TEC Infrared Grill. The owners of TEC did not want rec tec using that spelling as it may cause confusion.
  • #3 by Smeauxkin on 02 Aug 2020
  • It was some type of lawsuit they lost. They were trying to trademark their name rec tec grills I think. The issue was that there is and has been for quite a while a TEC Infrared Grill. The owners of TEC did not want rec tec using that spelling as it may cause confusion.
    That's about right.

https://youtu.be/R9Y7BndHv2c

This came through my feed today. Good to see it's just a name change. That is silly about the lawsuit though.

• #4 by Bar-B-Lew on 02 Aug 2020
  • These types of things are costly.  I've been thru something similar.
  • #5 by BigDave83 on 02 Aug 2020
    That's about right.

This came through my feed today. Good to see it's just a name change. That is silly about the lawsuit though.

I am not sure what was silly about it. Tec Infrared has been around for quite a while, Rec Tec had to have known the name was out there. with the build quality between the 2, I can completely understand why the company that owns Tec Infrared would not want Rec tec using a name similar.
  • #6 by pmillen on 02 Aug 2020
  • It appears that Pellet Fan > Pit Talk -- Comments and Questions Regarding These Pellet Pits > Rec Tec
    will become
    Pellet Fan > Pit Talk -- Comments and Questions Regarding These Pellet Pits > recteq.
    Or maybe
    Pellet Fan > Pit Talk -- Comments and Questions Regarding These Pellet Pits > Rec Tec recteq.

I notice that their web site text has the name as one word, all lower case.
  • #7 by Bar-B-Lew on 02 Aug 2020
  • wonder if they are required to send out a replacement log for every grill sold
  • #8 by Bentley on 02 Aug 2020
  • I think you have the power to get in a and make those changes so...Chop Chop... :pig:  I guess unless I am asked by TEC I am gonna leave it this way...just a sec Kristin is yelling at me...what about a a cease and desist?
  • #9 by Kristin Meredith on 02 Aug 2020
  • I am still trying to figure out how the two names are similar and would create confusion in the consuming public's mind.
  • #10 by GREG-B on 02 Aug 2020
  • In this day and age it's a xxxx shoot as to what will trigger an offensive or illegal uproar.   :2cents:
  • #11 by Smeauxkin on 02 Aug 2020
    That's about right.

I am not sure what was silly about it. Tec Infrared has been around for quite a while, Rec Tec had to have known the name was out there. with the build quality between the 2, I can completely understand why the company that owns Tec Infrared would not want Rec tec using a name similar.
    It's silly because it is. Can companies start suing each other because they both use letters to spell their names? Should GMC sue PMC? Char-broil sues Broilmaster? It's stupid but that's the direction we're headed.

• #12 by Bar-B-Lew on 02 Aug 2020
    That's about right.

It's silly because it is. Can companies start suing each other because they both use letters to spell their names? Should GMC sue PMC? Char-broil sues Broilmaster? It's stupid but that's the direction we're headed.

Been that way for years due to trademark laws.  If you don't attempt to protect your trademark, you run the risk of losing it.
  • #13 by BigDave83 on 02 Aug 2020
  • But it wasn't GMC vs PMC it was TEC vs REC TEC and the RT guys would get all upset if you didn't use all caps, even correct people. Honestly seeing a lot of misinformation rec tec put out there, I would bet that the name was like that because of the TEC grill.
  • #14 by Bentley on 02 Aug 2020
  • Wow...would get upset if it was not all cap.  They must not have liked the way I set up their section.  Such is life, we never got along to well when Pelletheads was going.
  • #15 by okie smokie on 03 Aug 2020
  • But it wasn't GMC vs PMC it was TEC vs REC TEC and the RT guys would get all upset if you didn't use all caps, even correct people. Honestly seeing a lot of misinformation rec tec put out there, I would bet that the name was like that because of the TEC grill.
    Doubt that.  For what purpose?  recteq is remarkably successful on their own and would not have to depend on TEC for recognition. (I personally have never heard about TEC Infrared) I know many don't like their biased testimonials, and I personally have put them to task on it (personal communications), but in the long run, who cares??? Have you seen the giant warehouse they now have? Considering that they don't have dealers, and sell factory direct that is amazing. And they do have the best service in the industry. Four year and 6 years warranty, and one call results in prompt attention.  :2cents:
Pages:
Actions