Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by BigDave83 on 03 Aug 2020

• Doubt that.  For what purpose?  recteq is remarkably successful on their own and would not have to depend on TEC for recognition. (I personally have never heard about TEC Infrared) I know many don't like their biased testimonials, and I personally have put them to task on it (personal communications), but in the long run, who cares??? Have you seen the giant warehouse they now have? Considering that they don't have dealers, and sell factory direct that is amazing. And they do have the best service in the industry. Four year and 6 years warranty, and one call results in prompt attention.  :2cents:
    This right here is the reason I would never buy another one, If I were buying today, maybe it is just how my mind works but if I were reading and just about every owner spouting off about how great the customer service is, I would run the other way as i would not think every customer should know how great it is. That would tell me there are far more issues than all of those 4 and 5 star reviews. I had one, I used customer service, we never did get it to do what they told me it would when I bought it. After replacing parts and them having me beat on it with a hammer and block of wood and run test after test and getting no where and sending in pictures, I gave up, sadly it was after my 30 days. I talked to Ray one time, not sure why he even answered the phone, he told me he really didn't know much about the mechanics and technical trouble shooting and he would have Ron call me. When I finally wen to sell it after it sitting and being used maybe 6 times in 2 years I tried to fire it up and no go. I called and talked to someone and old him what was going on and i was selling it and wanted t to work he asked why I was selling, I said I needed a grill and they told me it would grill, it couldn't do high temps. His reply was yea they really are not made for high temp cooking.
  • #17 by okie smokie on 03 Aug 2020
  • Sorry Dave for your trouble. I will not try to defend recteq any further, I just think you had a bad experience that does not reflect the experience of most us other owners. With one exception (early control damaged and quickly replaced), my family of 3 590's have all been super good for over a year now. I'm sure you will find a good unit elsewhere if not already done. Keep in mind that electronics and high heat don't mix well, and any unit can have failures in the first few hours of use.  Also, remember that those that are wounded often yell the loudest, while those who experience nirvana rarely comment at all.  Best wishes,
  • #18 by lil moose on 04 Aug 2020
  • Rec-Tec or RecTeq  (Which ever you choose) I myself would have gone with  Rec-Teck but I'm sure some company would sue for that as well

Anyway to my point...     

I have owned a RT680 for 5 years and yes there are a few paint issues (nothing bad) and a little rust here and there BUT  it WORKS!

I never had any issues of it not firing up or holding temp.  It just works and does it well

MAK in my opinion is the BEST pellet grill on the market and they have issues.  Just saying nothing is perfect

I'm just surprised MAC tools has not sued them for the name MAK or Mack trucks have not said something

OK sitting down now
  • #19 by Bar-B-Lew on 04 Aug 2020
  • Rec-Tec or RecTeq  (Which ever you choose) I myself would have gone with  Rec-Teck but I'm sure some company would sue for that as well

Anyway to my point...     

I have owned a RT680 for 5 years and yes there are a few paint issues (nothing bad) and a little rust here and there BUT  it WORKS!

I never had any issues of it not firing up or holding temp.  It just works and does it well

MAK in my opinion is the BEST pellet grill on the market and they have issues.  Just saying nothing is perfect

I'm just surprised MAC tools has not sued them for the name MAK or Mack trucks have not said something

OK sitting down now

MAK and MAC are not in the same line of business so a trademark lawsuit would be a waste of eithers money.  TEC Infared and REC TEC are in a very similar line of business which could cause confusion to a consumer.  I know a little bit about trademark law because I had to participate in an lawsuit filed out of state on a Friday afternoon with a requirement to be at a mediation hearing on Monday morning.  I was brought up to speed very quickly by our lawyers in preparation for the 8 hour mediation negotiations.  It was funny during the opening statements when we told the party that sued us that we don't need the name and are OK giving it up.  The look on the guys face was incredible.  It still cost us a lot of money even though we had been using the name for 10+ years and wasted a lot of my time and of others attempting to determine a new name and the costs associated with removing the old name.
  • #20 by lil moose on 04 Aug 2020

Anyway to my point...     

OK sitting down now

MAK and MAC are not in the same line of business so a trademark lawsuit would be a waste of eithers money.  TEC Infared and REC TEC are in a very similar line of business which could cause confusion to a consumer.  I know a little bit about trademark law because I had to participate in an lawsuit filed out of state on a Friday afternoon with a requirement to be at a mediation hearing on Monday morning.  I was brought up to speed very quickly by our lawyers in preparation for the 8 hour mediation negotiations.  It was funny during the opening statements when we told the party that sued us that we don't need the name and are OK giving it up.  The look on the guys face was incredible.  It still cost us a lot of money even though we had been using the name for 10+ years and wasted a lot of my time and of others attempting to determine a new name and the costs associated with removing the old name.
    I agree BUT neither were these and there was law suits over a name   just saying      This country has gone off the tracks

https://www.universalhub.com/2015/toyota-sees-unfair-lexus-nexis-somerville-sues

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=1036234

Please do not use Red Text!
  • #21 by Bar-B-Lew on 04 Aug 2020
  • A lot of those big companies have in house trademark lawyers that track and chase these type of things on a daily basis filing lawsuits.  If you show lack of attempt to protect your trademark, you run the risk of losing it.  The loss of it is most likely more valuable to these big companies than the costs of filing the lawsuits.  And they can strong arm the small guy to drop the name.  I suppose it could be because of how the laws are written or how other countries don't abide by the laws that force the majority of these lawsuits to take place.
  • #22 by pmillen on 04 Aug 2020
  • If you show lack of attempt to protect your trademark, you run the risk of losing it.

Exactly.  If TEC doesn't sue, over a period of years they might lose the ability to protect their trademarked name when it’s more important.

It's silly because it is. Can companies start suing each other because they both use letters to spell their names? Should GMC sue PMC? Char-broil sues Broilmaster? It's stupid but that's the direction we're headed.

So, if I started marketing GMC Guitars you wouldn't think that there's a possibility that I'm trying to capitalize on a successful company’s name?
  • #23 by lil moose on 04 Aug 2020
  • I agree with names and trade marks but you got to ask why this was never contested??   

Every time I see a GNC add my first thought is GMC

I'll end it with this one :)
  • #24 by Bar-B-Lew on 04 Aug 2020
  • I agree with names and trade marks but you got to ask why this was never contested??   

Every time I see a GNC add my first thought is GMC

I'll end it with this one :)

GNC file for bankruptcy.  I suspect they will be out of business shortly  ;)
  • #25 by Bentley on 04 Aug 2020
  • Please do not use Red in your TEXT!
  • #26 by Smeauxkin on 04 Aug 2020
  • If you show lack of attempt to protect your trademark, you run the risk of losing it.

Exactly.  If TEC doesn't sue, over a period of years they might lose the ability to protect their trademarked name when it’s more important.

It's silly because it is. Can companies start suing each other because they both use letters to spell their names? Should GMC sue PMC? Char-broil sues Broilmaster? It's stupid but that's the direction we're headed.

So, if I started marketing GMC Guitars you wouldn't think that there's a possibility that I'm trying to capitalize on a successful company’s name?
    I'd never buy a GMC guitar. It would never hold a tune.

Honestly, I didn't mean to start a ruckus. But I guess that's what internets are for.
  • #27 by Kristin Meredith on 04 Aug 2020
  • Hey, my motto is:  "If you see a good fight, jump on in" :pig:
  • #28 by pmillen on 04 Aug 2020
  • Honestly, I didn't mean to start a ruckus.

Oh!  I apologize if I contributed to your feeling that you "started a ruckus."  I love a good discussion, especially when it becomes a debate.  It's always in a friendly fashion.  It's what most of my friends and I do.  It's one of the attractive things about Marcia.

My minister buddy brings a quart of beer to my house, bangs it down on the kitchen table and starts the debate.  Sometimes it's about theology or church management and sometimes not.  I love him like a brother.
  • #29 by Smeauxkin on 04 Aug 2020
  • All good. It's hard to give these words on a screen any context.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
  • #30 by okie smokie on 04 Aug 2020

I'd never buy a GMC guitar. It would never hold a tune.

Honestly, I didn't mean to start a ruckus. But I guess that's what internets are for.
    I suspect that the tune "Classical Gas" was played on a GMC guitar or maybe a Fender? :rotf:
Pages:
Actions