Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Clonesmoker on 05 Aug 2020
  • I may have seen a topic awhile back about making your own BBQ sauce. I was watching a show on the Food Network about pulled pork and creating your own sauce. Basically taking the juices from the foiled pork shoulder and adding to any off the shelf BBQ sauce, putting it on the stove and reducing it.

I had around 1 - 1 1/2 cups that I had saved when I had smoked a couple of chuck roasts. I had a half a bottle of sauce local brand that I added into with the chuck roast gel that was in the fridge. I was reducing it and  I tasted the the smoky flavor from the roasts, but I wanted a little more flavor out of it. I added some molasses, brown sugar, yellow mustard, ketchup, garlic powder, onion along with my BBQ rub to my liking and let that simmer for 15 minutes. I kept tasting and fine tuning it to it got to my liking. I don't know if it is called making your own but it sure enhanced the exist sauce from the bottle.
  • #2 by Canadian John on 05 Aug 2020

•  Nice, All original flavours.  No artificial additives or preservatives.
  • #3 by Bar-B-Lew on 05 Aug 2020
  • About 25 years ago, I went into the Memphis in May BBQ competition with my neighbor and some team he had been on for a few years.  He taught me some pointers he learned about sauce making at the John Willingham BBQ school classes he attended.  I made about 10 different bottles of sauce for the team.  We ended up winning 3rd place in tomato based sauce with some of my concoctions making up over 75% of the sauce we submitted.  The basis of the sauce was Kraft Original BBQ Sauce and apple cider vinegar with spices added to it.  The vinegar thinned out the Kraft and made it more tangy.  The flavor profile ended up initially sweet on first taste and a little kick after you swallowed.  Its been many years since I made a BBQ sauce.  I did buy some Kraft and some vinegar around July 4th to make some again, but never got around to it.  One of these days I will give it a try again.  If it ends up worthwhile, I will document the recipe and share here.
  • #4 by BigDave83 on 05 Aug 2020
  • I have not added he dripping to a sauce,I may have to try that. I usually use my little cookshack electric for butts, and I catch and then defat the drippings and boil them to acd some back into the meat. It has a smokey flavor and it seems to help give all the meat a smoke flavor instead of just mainly the outside.
  • #5 by 02ebz06 on 05 Aug 2020
  • Making you own from scratch is not that difficult.
    As an example here is Franklin's BBQ Sauce. Easy Peezy.
    First video is just about his place, nothing to do with sauce, but interesting.
    Second he talks about his sauce recipe 2:37 in.
    He also goes though his brisket process from A to Z. Yum

Then you do just as you did, modify until it suits your needs.

Franklin’s BBQ Sauce

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdpxoCqyq5Y

Sauce recipe is in this video, about 2:37 in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMIlyzRFUjU

1/2    lb   Butter (melted)
    1/2    ea   Onion
    1-1/2  cup  Catsup  (no high-fructose)
    1/2    cup  Apple Cider Vinegar
    2      oz   Light Brown Sugar (lightly packed)
    1-1/8  tsp  Salt
    1-1/8  tsp  Pepper
    7/8    tsp  Chile Powder
    1/2    ea   Lemon juice

Directions:

Melt butter, add onions and cook until translucent.
    Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
    Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
    Use stick blender to puree it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    NOTE:  He has garlic in the video, I removed it is as I hate garlic.
              Can't stand the smell, can't stand the taste.
              I have walked in and right back out of Italian restaurants when the reeked of garlic.
              I know, I know, I'm probably the only person in the world that hates garlic.
  • #6 by urnmor on 06 Aug 2020
  • How long does homemade BBQ last before you have to toss it out
  • #7 by 02ebz06 on 06 Aug 2020
  • Not sure on exact life, but I have had it in fridge for 3 or 4 months with no issues.
  • #8 by BigDave83 on 06 Aug 2020
  • How long does homemade BBQ last before you have to toss it out

We usually make a quad batch and then just bottle it. Have had it in the fridge for over a year with no bad effects.
  • #9 by BigDave83 on 06 Aug 2020
  • On the Franklin recipe, I wonder why it matters if it is lightly packed if you are using 2 oz.?
  • #10 by 02ebz06 on 07 Aug 2020
  • On the Franklin recipe, I wonder why it matters if it is lightly packed if you are using 2 oz.?

Hahaha, never though about that. Maybe he thought easier to dump into the pan.

• #11 by Bar-B-Lew on 07 Aug 2020

Hahaha, never though about that. Maybe he thought easier to dump into the pan.

It may take less time to dissolve in the liquid if left loose...I'm reaching there.
  • #12 by Chokma on 07 Aug 2020

Maybe it is 2 oz. by volume, not by weight.
Pages:
Actions