Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by reubenray on 07 Aug 2020
  • I will be in South Dakota in a few weeks and the RV resort I will be staying at is connected to a ranch that raises bison.  I don't know if I can buy bison meat or not, but a local meat market there has buffalo.

Would this be something I would want to get>
  • #2 by Brushpopper on 07 Aug 2020
  • I tried a buffalo burger many, many years ago when I had to go to Montana for work.  The meat was a little sweet is how I remember it and very lean.  It was very good.  And I think bison and buffalo are the same thing.  We can get bison burger meat at the grocery store here, so I guess it can be sold now that they aren't endangered anymore.
  • #3 by pmillen on 07 Aug 2020
  • I lived in North Dakota for many years and saw plenty of bison wandering around in parts of the state.  I never had the opportunity to eat any.  After I lived in Omaha, Nebraska for a while, Ted Turner (yeah, that Ted Turner) opened a bison meat restaurant called Montana Grill (even though his enormous bison ranch is is in South Dakota).  I had bison meatloaf and a bison steak there.

It was lean and good.

My dad, the butcher, tried for a few years to get a cross-breed bison and Angus ranch started (beefalo).  It didn't work out.  I haven't heard of one for years.

Turner's restaurant failed in Omaha.  (I wonder why?  Could it have been the ridiculously high prices?  Maybe it was because Omaha is in the heart of grain-fed beef country.  He might have been better off trying to peddle sheep meat.   ;))

EDIT:  Added the wink.
  • #4 by Kristin Meredith on 07 Aug 2020
  • We bought some bison burger meat many years ago when visiting the Sandpoint, ID area.  Bent made burgers with it and some of the best burgers I have ever eaten.

Went through Bozeman Mt a few years back and ate at Ted's Montana Grill in Bozeman.  Had bison, although I don't remember what.  I remember a meatloaf and I think that was mine, but may have been Bent's.  I also think we had basically a pot roast.  I don't remember it being that outstanding at Ted's, but I agree that the prices raised my eyebrows.
  • #5 by Bentley on 07 Aug 2020
  • YES!

• #6 by jdmessner on 07 Aug 2020
  • I had a buffalo burger last week, it was very good! The meat is very lean and lower in cholesterol than beef. It might be a challenge to do low and slow on the pellet grill.

Where I am now living a local grocery store chain has been raising and selling buffalo meat for decades. When I was a kid, we had to drive for hours on end to visit my grandparents in Traverse City. You knew you were getting close to their house when you drove past the buffalo herd.

For over 60 years the local community college has held a buffalo BBQ as a fund raiser. The grocery store always donated the meat. They traditionally served buffalo burgers and hot dogs to over 10,000 people on a Sunday afternoon each spring. For years my grandpa spent hours on end helping prep and cook for the event. The burgers were fried on a flat top and then placed in roasters covered in a very thin BBQ sauce. I have no idea what kind of sauce it was, but it was very good. I will have to check with my uncle, he may know what the secret recipe was. While this year's BBQ was canceled due to covid, I was sad to read the other day that the college decided that they will no longer hold the event going forward. It is the end of an era.
  • #7 by okie smokie on 07 Aug 2020
  • I will be in South Dakota in a few weeks and the RV resort I will be staying at is connected to a ranch that raises bison.  I don't know if I can buy bison meat or not, but a local meat market there has buffalo.

The Bison is the the Western hemisphere's buffalo. So technically Bison is correct, and the meat markets labelling is misleading. BUT most of us call it buffalo anyhow. Excellent low fat meat.  Makes great chili among other things.  I don't like it for burgers, cause IMO there is not enough fat.  We have eaten it occasionally but prefer beef.  Also it is more expensive. Claims of less cholesterol is the main marketing point for many, but I do not believe that is important anymore, since cholesterol is losing the battle as the cause of heart disease.  Costco here has it prepackaged ground for about $8 lb. Worth trying if you have not. 
  • #8 by lil moose on 07 Aug 2020

YES!!   Your so gonna love that meat.  It's to much $$$ here to buy but I have had burgers made from buffalo and man it's soooooo good!
  • #9 by Bentley on 07 Aug 2020
  • See if they will grind you some 80/20...
  • #10 by Osborn Cox on 07 Aug 2020
  • I guess I’m in the minority here, but I don’t really care for it.    We used to buy it ground to replace ground beef in casseroles, spaghetti, etc, which was fine,  but finally decided it didn’t justify the added cost.    We didn’t care for it for burgers, steaks, or roasts, too lean for my liking. 
  • #11 by Bar-B-Lew on 07 Aug 2020
  • I had a buffalo burger once at an Air Force football game in the late 90s. I don't remember much about it other than I ate all of it, but I was also hungry.
Pages:
Actions