Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Buffalo Chopper  (Read 417 times)

jdmessner

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Evart, MI
Buffalo Chopper
« on: August 08, 2020, 01:13:58 PM »

With the new job comes a new kitchen to explore. While looking in the back storage room I came across an old Hobart buffalo chopper. I have never used one, but it looks like it could be fun to experiment with. I would appriciate any tips or ideas of things to try.
"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
Re: Buffalo Chopper
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 01:16:57 PM »

[ Invalid Attachment ]
"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2020, 02:41:37 PM »

Wonderful if you like your cooked meats chopped.  They are super for making things like hot dogs and bologna.  They get the meat mixture into that almost emulsified state and it mixes the seasonings in too!  Sure wish I had one.  Last time I used one was a BBQ for the Troops at 29 Palms Marine Base.  It was a large commercial unit.  The beautiful part of it was being able to put both cooked brisket and the fat together and have it come out as some unbelievable great tasting BBQ Beef for sandwiches and plates.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2020, 03:17:07 PM »

Wonderful if you like your cooked meats chopped.  They are super for making things like hot dogs and bologna.  They get the meat mixture into that almost emulsified state and it mixes the seasonings in too!  Sure wish I had one.  Last time I used one was a BBQ for the Troops at 29 Palms Marine Base.  It was a large commercial unit.  The beautiful part of it was being able to put both cooked brisket and the fat together and have it come out as some unbelievable great tasting BBQ Beef for sandwiches and plates.
Wow, 29 Palms Marine base, that brings back memories.
I used to live in Palm Springs.
Working for NCR, I had to go to the base to work on equipment.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2020, 04:03:15 PM »

Old memories , yes.  I was stationed at 29 Palms MCB as a navy Lieutenant in the medical corps.  Marines have no medical corps and are serviced by Navy medical corps. 112* the day I arrived in 1963. I was single and lonesome.  Lots of trips to LA, SanDiego, Big Bear (which I could see from my barracks). In the spring of the next year, the desert from the town to the base was covered in flowers, as far as I could see, and the pollen so thick that my eyes would water and my nose swell shut, just from driving thru the valley from town to base.  Curious? Bentley how did you end up cooking at 29 Palms MCB?

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2020, 04:18:03 PM »

Old memories , yes.  I was stationed at 29 Palms MCB as a navy Lieutenant in the medical corps.  Marines have no medical corps and are serviced by Navy medical corps. 112* the day I arrived in 1963. I was single and lonesome.  Lots of trips to LA, SanDiego, Big Bear (which I could see from my barracks). In the spring of the next year, the desert from the town to the base was covered in flowers, as far as I could see, and the pollen so thick that my eyes would water and my nose swell shut, just from driving thru the valley from town to base.  Curious? Bentley how did you end up cooking at 29 Palms MCB?

And then there were the sand storms that could completely remove all paint and completely frost a window.
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2020, 05:24:01 PM »

And I bet that was not the hottest temperature you encountered?  The California BBQ Association did several BBQ for the Troupes back between about 2003 and 2010, a few of them almost beat me between the heat and cooking, 117° one time (we were putting 10lb bags of ice on our heads).  We cooked out at 29 Palms 2 or 3 times as I remember.  Just a thank you for the service...type thing.  As I recall, the big one, not sure which year it (2003 I think) was but it was a big one (I think that is when the buffalo chopper was there)...we cooked 6 TONS of meat and served 23,000 plates!

We cooked on "The Undisputable Cuz" one year.  I think his name was Bud Liffick from Texas who owned it at the time.  Can't remember if the butts were 3 or 4 rows deep in each section.

...112* the day I arrived'... Curious? Bentley how did you end up cooking at 29 Palms MCB?

I am a cynic and if I had not witnessed this I would be scoffing at this statement.  My dad had to call on a client in Palm Springs, storm...well as silly as it sounds regarding the subject, his Cadillac looked like it had been sandblasted when he got home!  You would have thought it was being prepped for painting.

And then there were the sand storms that could completely remove all paint and completely frost a window.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2020, 06:32:57 PM »

And talking about heat in the area, I remember it getting to 120 degrees in 1000 Palms.
Just googled it and it is 108 there right now.

W6YJ

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2020, 06:50:07 PM »

Holy ****, The Undisputable Cuz is a monster.

Gotta wonder what the fuel consumption rate is.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2020, 09:35:00 PM »

I was not part of that crew.  When Bud started it up, I almost thought it was a trick, maybe it was.  He said start counting, before you get to 10 you will see smoke coming out of the smoke stake by the cab, and it did.  The fire box is right around the metal Texas!
Pages: [1]   Go Up