Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: First Stromboli  (Read 551 times)

02ebz06

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Rio Rancho, NM
First Stromboli
« on: August 08, 2020, 03:12:57 PM »

Made 3 dough balls Tuesday, 2 for Pizza, and one for Stromboli.
Pizza oven still at 400 degrees from yesterdays pizza cook, so used the reserve heat for the Stromboli today.
Turned out decent for first attempt.
Need to be a little more diligent about making sure I get the egg wash all over.
As you can see I missed the lower sides.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: First Stromboli
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 04:22:48 PM »

What's with the poppy seeds?  Next time, try putting all of the meat and cheese on one side of the dough and then flipping the other side over the top and pinching down the sides together with a fork.  Load the inside with ham, pepperoni, onions, peppers, mushrooms and cheese.  And, cut a few slits across the top to let the moisture from the contents escape as it bakes.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2020, 05:36:24 PM »

The slits do help, I have see the sandwich compiled a few way different ways, have seen turn-over and roll.  They do the filling and cheese different back here then my West.  To me, Calzone & Stromboli have a lot of similarities.  Back here Calzone meat seems to be ham, and supposedly the difference between Calzone and Stromboli is the cheese.  I have never heard of a Calzone having ricotta (or ham), but according to folks back here, that is the difference.  Mayberry...time to get West again!

I would have no problem eating your Stromboli!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 05:39:18 PM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2020, 05:37:10 PM »

The slits do help, I have see the sandwich compiled a few way different ways, have seen turn-over and roll.  They do the filling and cheese it different back here then my West.  To me, Calzone & Stromboli have a lot of similarities.  Back here Calzone meat seems to be ham, and supposedly the difference between Calzone and Stromboli is the cheese.  I have never heard of a Calzone having ricotta (or ham), but according to folks back here, that is the difference.  Mayberry...time to get West again!

Yes, the cheese is the difference up here too.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2020, 06:24:53 PM »

What's with the poppy seeds?  Next time, try putting all of the meat and cheese on one side of the dough and then flipping the other side over the top and pinching down the sides together with a fork.  Load the inside with ham, pepperoni, onions, peppers, mushrooms and cheese.  And, cut a few slits across the top to let the moisture from the contents escape as it bakes.

What, you don't like poppy seeds?  ;D
Your way sounds more like a Calzone to me (see last three lines).
My bad, I did forget the slits.

I rolled pizza dough out in somewhat of a rectangle.
Put layer of provolone on one side, layer of ham on top, layer of mozzarella, and large size pepperoni for last layer.
Rolled it up starting on the meat cheese size, and folded ends under..

The slits do help, I have see the sandwich compiled a few way different ways, have seen turn-over and roll.  They do the filling and cheese different back here then my West.  To me, Calzone & Stromboli have a lot of similarities.  Back here Calzone meat seems to be ham, and supposedly the difference between Calzone and Stromboli is the cheese.  I have never heard of a Calzone having ricotta (or ham), but according to folks back here, that is the difference.  Mayberry...time to get West again!

I would have no problem eating your Stromboli!

To me a Calzone is smaller, edges pinched, and eat it like a hot pocket.
And A Stromboli is bigger, cut in slices and dipped in Marinara Sauce.
If you use same ingredients, should be no difference in taste.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 06:26:50 PM by 02ebz06 »
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2020, 06:48:04 PM »

No, the strombolis we make are about the size of a large pan and about 2+ inches high with layers of meat and veggies.

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2020, 07:54:02 PM »

That looks similar to a stromboli they make here at a local wood fired place. Looks great from here!

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2020, 10:20:26 AM »

Don't get me wrong, the food looks great.  I think they would call that a pizza roll in my part of the country.

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2020, 03:13:56 PM »

That would be a calzone?

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2020, 03:23:15 PM »

That would be a calzone?

After reading wiki, yes, it would be a calzone. But in the Lehigh Valley, it is a stromboli.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2020, 03:40:22 PM »

And the couple of places around Mayberry that I have had them, they both look like what I would call a Calzone both having slits and being baked.  Although the Calzone that I grew up on had no slits and was deep fried...No Calzone has ever come close to Mama Mia's in Fresno!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

okie smokie

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2020, 04:49:59 PM »

I'm a thin crust pizza guy, so my main interest is in the filling. The more crust and folds, the less of the goodies IMO.  I try to avoid the heavy carb intake. Which brings up a question I have always wanted to ask:  Has anyone ever had a sardine pizza? Neither have I but sounds like a reasonable experiment.  Have had many sardine sandwiches.???

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2020, 05:12:08 PM »

No Sardines or Anchovies on pizza for me.
For Sardines, I'm an eat them straight out of the tin guy.  :D
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 06:44:19 PM by 02ebz06 »

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2020, 06:42:00 PM »

Have had many sardine sandwiches.

So have I.  And Marcia won't kiss me for a week.  Needless to say, I have my priorities, and sardines aren't at the top of the list.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

okie smokie

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2020, 10:09:08 AM »

I think I'll stay with the sandwiches.  My wife likes them also but with jalopenas. 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up