Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by urnmor on 12 Aug 2020
  • Curious to now if any has made Welch Rabbit or now referred to as Welch Rarebit?  I had it growing up and now plan on making it for tomorrow's night diner.
  • #2 by Bentley on 12 Aug 2020
  • Cheddar cheese over toast, right?
  • #3 by urnmor on 13 Aug 2020
  • The recipe I have calls for a pound of shredded cheese 2os of porter or other dark beer with a pinch of salt, pepper and paprika.  I will probably also top with tomato and halepeno to give it and extra boost
  • #4 by Bentley on 13 Aug 2020
  • I understated it a bit.  The sauce has many directions it can be taken, and the tomato will give it a hit of acidity.  Are you going to grill the tomato?
  • #5 by urnmor on 13 Aug 2020
  • I will lightly toast the french bread and then place under a broiler to finish.
  • #6 by acguy on 13 Aug 2020
  • I know it as Welsh Rarebit. Welsh as in from Wales. I’ve been eating variations of this since I was a kid. The BBC Food website has this recipe.

Ingredients
    50g/2oz flour
    50g/2oz butter
    250ml/9oz strong beer, warmed
    250g/9oz strong cheddar, grated
    2tsp English mustard
    2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
    black pepper
    4 large slices granary bread
    Method
    In a small saucepan melt the butter and make a roux with the flour. Cook for a couple of minutes, stirring to prevent the roux from burning. Stir in the warm beer by degrees, until you have a thick but smooth sauce. Add the grated cheese and stir until melted. You should now have a thick paste. Mix in the mustard and Worcestershire sauce and season well with black pepper.
    Lightly toast and butter the bread, then pile up the cheesy mixture on each slice. Cook under a hot grill for a few minutes, until browned and bubbling.

I’ve cooked this a fair bit but usually just go with an easier variation my mum taught me. I have never found an actual recipe for this version so I don’t have precise amounts for the ingredients as I just do it by eyeballing it. There were 11 in mum’s family so I think this was nana’s way to stretch out the wartime rations in England.
    Heat 1 cup milk in a small pot and then add 2 eggs, stirring constantly then add grated sharp cheddar ( usually Cheshire, Lancashire or Wensleydale) constantly stirring until it is mostly melted but still has slight bits of cheese, serve over toast. Dash of Worcestershire sauce if you fancy. 
  • #7 by urnmor on 16 Aug 2020
  • I did make it following the recipe from a Taste of History and I must admit it IMO did not have a taste of history.  It was very bland if i make it agin i will have to kick it up several notches.
  • #8 by acguy on 16 Aug 2020
  • I did make it following the recipe from a Taste of History and I must admit it IMO did not have a taste of history.  It was very bland if i make it agin i will have to kick it up several notches.

What type of cheese are you using? I find the sharper the cheddar the more flavour. I use 5 or 7 year aged cheddar if using local cheese or imported English mature cheddar. I also use a dark ale or stout and a tbsp of Worcestershire rather than a tsp.
  • #9 by urnmor on 16 Aug 2020

What type of cheese are you using? I find the sharper the cheddar the more flavour. I use 5 or 7 year aged cheddar if using local cheese or imported English mature cheddar. I also use a dark ale or stout and a tbsp of Worcestershire rather than a tsp.

I did not use the best cheddar just some I had lying around the house and definitely agree the other ingredients need to be bumped up a lot

Pages:
Actions