Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flame Out and Kaboom  (Read 420 times)

JoeGrilling

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
Flame Out and Kaboom
« on: August 13, 2020, 12:14:16 PM »

My Traeger Texas Elite 34 with a Savannah Stoker controller started behaving strangely for the past month.  The first incident I had a month ago was the smoker did not ignite on a very hot day +100 degF.  I started the grill with the lid closed and had no ignition.  The lid was opened and the internal temperature dropped and it ignited with a pot full of pellets.  This resulted in an auger tube fire.  To make a long story short, I emptied the hopper, cleared the auger tube of pellets, and vacuum out the grill.  The cook seemed to progress normally after that. 

I have had several cooks since then and appear to be getting flame outs from time to time.  This is evidenced by charred grease on the grease tray and white smoke observed from time to time during the cook.  Yesterday, I moved two pork butts after 5 hours of smoking to aluminum pans.  About a half an hour later, I noticed the grill flamed out.  The SS appeared to attempted re-ignite a pot full of pellets and got a mild kaboom.  The smoker lid lifted slightly and closed.  The temperature raced up to 350 degF.  I finished the cook in the kitchen oven. Ignition of a pot full of pellets and a mild explosion is pretty well documented.  My concern is not the explosion but the root cause of the flame outs.   

Later today, I will start trying to figure out why this flame out is happening.  There are two things that I plan of looking at first:
1. Did my original auger tube fire damage something in the grill to prevent reliable feeding of pellets?
2. Just before the auger tube fire, I restocked my pellet supply with Traeger Hickory pellets from a Costco roadshow.  This is the first time Traeger has been back at Costco since the covid thing occurred.  I am wondering if these new pellets have something to do with it.

If anyone has any input, please provide it.           

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: Flame Out and Kaboom
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 12:25:39 PM »

When it happened to me it was because I had too much ash in the fire pot which ended up choking out the air blowing into the fire pot causing the flame out.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

JoeGrilling

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 01:34:20 PM »

When it happened to me it was because I had too much ash in the fire pot which ended up choking out the air blowing into the fire pot causing the flame out.

I'll check it today.  As a rule, I vacuum out the fire pot and any ash in the chamber before a cook. 

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 03:01:48 PM »

I'll check it today.  As a rule, I vacuum out the fire pot and any ash in the chamber before a cook.

Then maybe check the fan to ensure it is blowing air into the pot as it should.  I don't have the technical skills to provide more than that as I don't know how often the fan should run and at what speed or any other factors that may impact keeping the fire lit.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 03:09:04 PM »

I am not versed on the Savanna controller, however I am curious as if any settings may have been changed, or if it was set-up for cold weather.

It looks as if the controller is reacting to the high ambients you describe.

JoeGrilling

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2020, 12:52:33 PM »

I am not versed on the Savanna controller, however I am curious as if any settings may have been changed, or if it was set-up for cold weather.

It looks as if the controller is reacting to the high ambients you describe.

John, I believe you are correct.  It's been so hot, I didn't get touch the setup for a week.  The Savannah Stoker works on a 20 sec auger cycle.  You can set a minimum and maximum auger on time percentage.  The default minimum on time is 15%.  Mine was set for 10%. 

I believe what happened is 10% was frequently being used by the controller due to the high ambient temperatures.  A flame out would occur and the Stoker continued to pump pellets into the fire pot.  The Traeger very slowly cooled, completely filling the fire pot  and the Stoker reignited at 130 deg F.   The fire started at the bottom of the pot and baked the pellets at the top of the pile in the fire pot.   This seems to have filled the Traeger with explosive gases leading to the kaboom and the huge temperature excursion.

I raised the minimum auger on time to 15% on Wednesday and it seemed to work ok for several hours.  We did a brisket yesterday (Thursday) for about 11 hours and all seems to be fine now.  It is interesting how the high ambient temperatures impact the ignition of the pellets.     
Pages: [1]   Go Up