Pit Talk -- Comments and Questions Regarding These Pellet Pits > Yoder

Considering a Yoder YS640S

(1/3) > >>

RoadRunner18:
Greetings to all!  This is my first post, but I have been cooking on a Traeger for the past 5 years or so.  I currently have a Timberline 1300, and I am considering adding a Yoder640S Competition to my stable.

I have a couple of questions that some of you more experienced Yoder owners may be able to answer.

1.  Can someone tell me the total length and width of the cooking surface on both shelves.  I ask this because I normally utilize 20" x 12" Aluminum pans in my cooks, and I need to know if 2 pans will fit on the lower grill depth-wise.  From what I gather on the Yoder Website, the main grill is two - "16" x 20" grill grates for a total of 32" x 20" which would meet my requirements, so long as the actual depth of the cooking surface is really 20."  On my Timberline, the main grill grate is 34" x 16" which limits my capacity.  I know the upper grill grate is 15.5 x 28," but it would also be helpful to know if a 20 X 12 pan can fit on the upper grill grate depth-wise and still close the lid. 

2. Is there any kind of a seal between the lid and the grill body?  Nothing mentioned on the website.  I see some of the competition is using a gasket (Traeger Timberline models) or a nomex tape (Blaz'n Grill Works) seal.

3.  No pellet removal door?  Seems unusual on such a high end smoker.

4. I see on the Yoder Website that their controller is made by FireBoard.  Can I assume that all the benefits of the FireBoard2 thermometer are built into the controller of this smoker?

5. On other forums some owners say these Yoder Smokers are Pellet Hogs.  Do most of you use the thermal jacket during cold weather only to retain heat; do any of you use the thermal jacket all year round?

6. How is the YS640S for getting up to and holding target temperature? 

The closest Yoder dealer to me is approximately 60 miles away, and I plan to visit them on Tuesday.  Any information you can provide is greatly appreciated! 

Thanks for your time!

Canadian John:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!   I am not much help to you re Yoder.  Hopefully your questions will be answered soon.  Just curious as why a Yoder. What is the attraction?

RoadRunner18:
My Traeger 1300 will be used exclusively for tailgating.  I am looking for a new Smoker for my patio  I am looking for a solid, well made smoker that meets my requirements.  I have done research on REC TEC, Blaz'n Grill works, and Smokin Brothers, and because of capacity, thet don't meet my needs. Originally I wanted a smoker that was double-walled (insulated) and that would be a preference if it met my requirements.  Blaz'n Grill Works  meets that requirement but the grill grates are 2-1/2 inches apart, with a depth of 17-18 inches.

02ebz06:
Memphis Elite is large, double-walled, but pricey.

pmillen:
Regarding the comments on Yoders burning an unusually high amount of pellets:

It takes quite a bit of heat to get that thick, heavy metal up to temperature.  The pellet consumption is noticeable on short cooks and doesn't seem as high on long ones.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version
Mobile View