Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by 4given on 17 Aug 2020
  • I sous vide cooked some lean, grass fed beef round steaks at 131 degrees for 18 hours.  Turned this cheap, tough cut of meat into a tender, delectable delight!

Here is a link to a video of me searing them with a Harbor Frieght weed burner!

https://youtu.be/IZ1iTmpmhvk

Here is a picture of it seared and plated.  I melted a little butter on each one after the sear.

So good!
  • #2 by Brushpopper on 17 Aug 2020
  • We call those a pear burner in South Texas.  In the winter we'd burn the thorns off of prickly pear so the cattle would have something green to eat and we didn't have to buy as much feed.  Not real good food for them, but it kept them alive.  The sound of that thing brought back many memories.  Especially trying not to get caught in their path when they'd hear it because they'd come running.
  • #3 by WiPelletHead on 17 Aug 2020
  • Looks good with a nice sear.

I wonder if an angled fitting could be put on the tube to angle the burner down. It might be easier to use.
  • #4 by okie smokie on 17 Aug 2020
  • So how did they taste?  Tender as?
  • #5 by 4given on 17 Aug 2020
  • Looks good with a nice sear.

I wonder if an angled fitting could be put on the tube to angle the burner down. It might be easier to use.

I suppose you could. Thats a good idea and I just might do that.  But it is really not bad at all without it
  • #6 by 4given on 17 Aug 2020
  • So how did they taste?  Tender as?

They tasted great! However,  lean round steak has less flavor than say, a rib steak.  Seasoning plays a big part.  I just used Montreal Steak Seasoning pre-cook and butter after the sear and served.

The steaks were not as consistent in size or thickness as I would have liked. A couple of the steaks were as tender as tenderloin.  The others were had a little more tooth but were still really tender.
  • #7 by Canadian John on 17 Aug 2020
  •  
     Wow!  That's 100% char. Almost bland looking as no char (an observation only). As I like char, I might try it.
  • #8 by 4given on 17 Aug 2020
  •  
     Wow!  That's 100% char. Almost bland looking as no char (an observation only). As I like char, I might try it.

I think a little compound butter with herbs would dress them up a bit and/or sprinkle some chopped fresh herbs on them.
  • #9 by cookingjnj on 17 Aug 2020
  • That was a cool demonstration.  Thanks.  My wife was cleaning a closet and found our Sous Vide machine.  Might need to get something going with it.  Your steaks looked like a good possibility, minus the weed burner.  Still don't have one of those....hahaha.
  • #10 by BigDave83 on 17 Aug 2020
  • Nice, I would eat the tougher ones. I had one of those at one time, not sure where it went. I may need to buy another one.

I have never tried bu I wonder if you were to lightly brush them with some oil or some ghee if they would brown up, I want to say nicer, but that is not exactly what I mean.
  • #11 by Bar-B-Lew on 17 Aug 2020
  • the top didn't look as dark when I watched the video.  they almost look like portabello mushrooms on top
  • #12 by 4given on 18 Aug 2020
  • They darkened up when I brushed then with butter. chech out the video I posted in this thread where I sear a roast. It will give you a better idea of what the meat looks like after the sear. My wife go a close up shot of the roast.
  • #13 by Bar-B-Lew on 18 Aug 2020
  • It is quite a bit more expensive than your weed burner, but Anova is releasing a sous vide oven in September that looks like it is the tool to finish off the "baking" of your meat after it has been sous vide in the regular sous vide bath.
  • #14 by W6YJ on 18 Aug 2020
  • From what Anova says on their website, this oven can be used for bagless sous vide by setting the humidity to 100%.

Interesting device.
  • #15 by 4given on 18 Aug 2020
  • It is quite a bit more expensive than your weed burner, but Anova is releasing a sous vide oven in September that looks like it is the tool to finish off the "baking" of your meat after it has been sous vide in the regular sous vide bath.

I wouldn't dismiss the weed burner too soon. The weed burner beat out the competion here in the link below. One of the contestants was a $1000 infared Otto Grill.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Be7E0gcNTA
Pages:
Actions