Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Family Weekend  (Read 437 times)

jdmessner

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Evart, MI
Family Weekend
« on: August 17, 2020, 10:57:23 PM »

We had family over on both Saturday and Sunday (my family on Saturday and my wife’s on Sunday).  On Saturday we served MikeMcQ’s twice smoked salmon salad sandwiches, which have become a staple.

On Sunday it was brats. I was looking for a recipe and reread the thread about Phrett’s passing. I was moved once again by the comments that were left. I ended up following Phretts technique for beer brats as described by Bently. However, I did make one change, I used Diet Dr. Pepper instead of beer. It wasn't too bad, my wife's family is appriciative of most everything I make for them and they really seemed to enjoy them. However, I probably will not do that again, there wasn’t a lot of extra flavor added by the pop. The beer would have been much better.

The big experiment was sweet corn. There are a lot of local stands with very nice fresh ears. I wanted to do the corn on the grill and thought I would try a few different methods. The day before the company came I put four ears on the grill, each prepped a different way: the first was soaked in husk, but silk removed; the second husk on, but silk removed, not soaked; number three with the ear intact, with silk and husk not removed; and one ear completely husked.

The results were fairly predictable. The ear that was not husked at all created a lot of steam inside the husk and the kernels were very plump, but no smoke flavor; the two with the silk removed but still had the husks both had a hint of smoke and the soaked one was a bit juicier (if that is a term that can be used for corn); the best smoke flavor was from the ear that was husked and put directly on the grill, but it was not as plump as the others. I ended up going with flavor over plumpness. The smoked flavor was a big hit with both sides of the family.

"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

Ralphie

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
Re: Family Weekend
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 07:04:07 AM »

Was it easy to clean the ear of corn that was untouched before cooking?  I’ve heard that removing husk and silk is easier after cooking rather than before. But I haven’t tried it.
Im going to look into that salmon recipe too.
Rec Tec Stampede RT-590  40 going on 13

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 11:40:47 AM »

Was it easy to clean the ear of corn that was untouched before cooking?  I’ve heard that removing husk and silk is easier after cooking rather than before. But I haven’t tried it.
Im going to look into that salmon recipe too.

Yes, it was very easy to clean the untouched ear. You can actually cut the stem end off above the base of the ear and just squeeze out the ear with no husking involved.

Here is the link to the salmon: https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=4300.0

"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

cookingjnj

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Branchburg, New Jersey
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 07:08:47 PM »

Great job jd...... completely husked ears of corn directly on the grill cannot be beat.  Throw a few extra on the grill to make grilled corn salsa....hmmmmm!

MysticRhythms

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 10:30:44 PM »

Were there any noticeable differences in the cooking times on the corn?

Don't ask me, I'm just improvising. 
PG500

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2020, 08:56:10 AM »

Were there any noticeable differences in the cooking times on the corn?

I cooked them all for the same ammount of time. Unfortunately I did not keep close track of how long.
 [ Invalid Attachment ]

[ Invalid Attachment ]
Pages: [1]   Go Up