Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: sous vide chicken breasts  (Read 545 times)

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
sous vide chicken breasts
« on: August 18, 2020, 02:40:15 PM »

I have a bag of chicken breasts in the freezer, skinless, boneless.  I would like to defrost, season and sous vide in separate bags.  Put them back in the freezer is take out a couple as needed for quick meals. Maybe quick pan sear before eating.  Anyone have suggestions as to how to do this right?

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Re: sous vide chicken breasts
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 04:18:27 PM »

I regularly SV boneless, skinless chicken breasts.

I gather that you want to SV them and then freeze them for quickly warming and serving.
  • Season the breasts with salt and pepper, chopped cilantro and chopped garlic cloves.
  • Add a squeeze of ½ lime per bag.
  • Bag them and SV for an hour at 150°.
  • Pan fry them in butter or ghee for about two minutes or until golden brown, mostly for appearance but you'll get a bit a Malliard reaction taste.
The IT should be 165° when finished.

I hope that I had a grasp of your question's intent.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

okie smokie

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 04:46:22 PM »

You did.  I seasoned them frozen with "kickin Chickin". At 148* (not sure why that) and gonna go half hour extra or more since they are frozen.  About 1hr and 30.  Since I had 5 of them, I will refreeze 3 and save two for tomorrow dinner.  I do plan to pan sear just before eating.  Just ad a dash of lemon while in the pan.  May slice cold for salad, or unsliced for sanich. Just fooling around.

4given

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 05:31:41 PM »

Thanks for the tip guys! I will try this
John 3:16-18  GMG Daniel Boone, GMG Davy Crockett

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 05:44:26 PM »

I do breasts at 140F for 2 hours, then hit them with a torch. Sometimes brown in some butter. No need to bring to 165F if you SV correctly.

Osborn Cox

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2020, 07:50:47 PM »

I’m with bregent, I can’t remember if I saw it on Serious Eats or someplace that as long as they are held at an IT of 140 for at least 30 minutes they are pasteurized and good to go.    For me it was a game changer for chicken breast, before that you could chase me around the block with them.   
Cookshack PG1000, GMG Jim Bowie Prime, Traeger Lil Tex(retired), Blackstone Griddle

okie smokie

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2020, 08:02:39 PM »

Well they are off and in the fridge for now. Will keep two for tomorrow and freeze the other 3.  Had them in frozen and then 148 for 2 hrs.  They seem tender in the bag.  Will report tomorrow.  (Had too much filet and taters tonight Costco prime.  They were $14.99 lb and trimmed a little better than usual.).   

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2020, 08:38:12 PM »

I usually do 140 for 4ish hours. I usually also do and extra one or two and then ice and toss in the fridge. Great to have one or two in the fridge ready for something. I have had them in there for 4 or 5 weeks with no issues. s long as the bag seal is in tact it is pasteurized and will last for weeks.

okie smokie

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2020, 08:51:14 PM »

I usually do 140 for 4ish hours. I usually also do and extra one or two and then ice and toss in the fridge. Great to have one or two in the fridge ready for something. I have had them in there for 4 or 5 weeks with no issues. s long as the bag seal is in tact it is pasteurized and will last for weeks.
Good point.  I will do the same. Anxious to see what "Kickin Chickin" did for them.

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2020, 07:43:46 PM »

Ditto for 140°, After sear there is little or no pink and they are much moister.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

okie smokie

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2020, 08:41:03 PM »

Seasoned with Kickin Chickin, sous vide at 148 for 2 hrs.  They were wonderful.  We took two of them and cut into cubes, then sauté with a can of cream of mushroom (no added water), added 1 oz of sherry, and simmered.  Next boiled a bag of white rice.  Buttered the rice when done and then made each plate with rice covered with the creamed chicken. Made an excellent meal.  We have 3 left and will try some other options to see how they are best used.  Very pleased with this simple recipe.   :clap: :cool:

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2020, 08:42:28 PM »

I'd eat that.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower
Pages: [1]   Go Up