Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Way to Season Beef Tenderloin?  (Read 463 times)

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Best Way to Season Beef Tenderloin?
« on: August 20, 2020, 02:51:05 PM »

I'm smoking a couple of beef tenderloins for Marcia's birthday party in a few days.  I smoke one or more three or four times a year.  The rub has been different each time.  They've all been great.  (It may not be easy to wreck a beef tenderloin.)

I sometimes apply the rub early and let the beef sit in the refrigerator for a day, sometimes I also wrap it.  We can't seem to ascertain if one plan is better than the others.  Consequently, I don't have a set rub or method that I use.

This was recommended to me a couple of years go when I shared a pitcher of sweet tea with a bored competitor at a BBQ contest.  He didn't appear to have any connection to the company so I took his word and later bought some.

So...I've decided to use Pappy's Prime Rib Rub on the beef tenderloins.  Here's where I need your advice–
     ●  When should I apply it?
     ●  If well before the cook, when?
     ●  If well before the cook, should I wrap them?

I'm sure that all suggestions will result in a great entrée.  I'll probably just roll the dice and select one.

EDIT:  I didn't care for the looks of the three beef tenderloins Costco had tonight.  I switched to New York Striploins.  See Reply #11.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 09:04:48 PM by pmillen »
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

pmillen

• Global Moderator
Re: Best Way to Season Beef Tenderloin?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2020, 02:55:11 PM »

BTW, because of the possible COVID risks we're using the kitchen, dining room, deck and patio for seating and will be serving cafeteria style.  I'll be carving the tenderloins at the kitchen island with the range behind me for those who might want their slice pan seared.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2020, 03:06:07 PM »

I would put on a day before and not wrap.  I have seen enhancement of flavor and tenderness on steak when applying a rub in advance.  I do not like the wrap option as I have found that some of the rub comes off when the wrap is removed.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

02ebz06

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2020, 03:17:13 PM »

I would put on a day before and not wrap.  I have seen enhancement of flavor and tenderness on steak when applying a rub in advance.  I do not like the wrap option as I have found that some of the rub comes off when the wrap is removed.

I agree, mostly.

We wrap day before.
One reason to do that is you get the mess out of the way before cook day when you will most likely be a lot  busier
The other is it gives more chance for some to be absorbed.

Where I differ from Lew on this is, I wrap to keep from drying surface out in fridge.
If you put some glue on it an load it up with rub, you shouldn't lose enough to matter when unwrapping.
JMO
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2020, 03:22:26 PM »

I usually stick in a tupperware container with a lid rather than wrapping.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

02ebz06

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2020, 03:45:50 PM »

That works too, if you have one big enough.
Briskets and ribs could be challenging for that.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2020, 04:05:53 PM »

Briskets, ribs, and shoulders I apply the rub right before I put them on the smoker.  I have seen no noticeable difference in flavor by doing it the day before which up until about 5 years ago had been my previous method.

ezgoin

• Using less gas.
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2020, 04:16:10 PM »

Try sprinkling with about a teaspoon of coarse Kosher salt per pound of meat which will draw out a sticky moister for the rub to stick to and then refrigerate for at least two hours.  I then sear  and then lower the temp until I reach an internal temp of about 125-130.  The rest usually brings it up to a nice medium rare.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2020, 05:15:48 PM »

Pappy's is the best I have ever used and eaten.  Will be curious on your thoughts.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2020, 05:32:31 PM »

Pappy's is the best I have ever used and eaten.  Will be curious on your thoughts.

What did you like about it?  Do you think the beef stock ingredient is a big difference maker?  I've never tasted that rub before.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2020, 07:53:33 PM »

I went to HS with the owners!  Their father Alex “Pappy” Papulias owned a meat market and made a rub called Executive beef seasoning.  My mom used it in the 60's and said it was the best thing she ever put on Beef.  This rub is supposed to have its origins in the "executive".
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 07:58:16 PM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2020, 09:01:53 PM »

UPDATE
I didn't care for the looks of the three beef tenderloins Costco had tonight.  I switched to New York Striploins.  I'll cook them the same way that I would have cooked the tenderloins.
Paul

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2020, 12:35:56 PM »

What did you like about it?  Do you think the beef stock ingredient is a big difference maker?  I've never tasted that rub before.

I am not enough of a "super-taster" to really answer.  I just like the balance of ingredients -- not too much of any one thing, makes a nice crust, just enhances the beef flavour.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2020, 06:18:50 PM »

I'll end my portion of this thread and create a new one for the New York Striploin cook.
Paul

Pages: [1]   Go Up