Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by Clonesmoker on 28 Aug 2020
  • I've opened up a lot of cryovac sealed briskets, some have had an odor to them, but I've never had a problem with them. I wonder if the smell could be  testosterone related. I've had chops off a hog before and the smell and taste was that of a male hog that was sent to market or a male hog that castrated too late. Same can be said of beef.
  • #17 by jdmessner on 28 Aug 2020
  • The picnic went well and the weather was great. Earlier in the week it didn't look good.

I still have my large grill and a lot of other equipment in a friends trailer down state. That made the logistics a little more difficult than normal, but we made it! The Pit Boss came through!

I cooked the brisket ahead of time. After it cooled down I wrapped it and left it intact in the refrigerator. Sliced it cold and then poured some hot beef broth over it, and warmed it up in the oven. When it was time to serve, I layered the strips in the pan and applied a little Memphis BBQ sauce. Made sliders with sliced dinner rolls and caramelized onions.

I also did two pork butts the day of for pulled pork sliders. A guy at a local restaurant is starting to market some of his rubs, so I tried his pork rub and I really liked it.

The baked beans had a little bit of everything in them; Italian sausage, ground beef, bacon, oniond, peppers, along with the usual stuff to flavor them with.

My wife and I packaged everything so there wasn't a self-serve food line. It almost seemed sacrilegious not letting people bring a dish to pass!  We served the sliders and baked beans in a clam shell and had potato chips in individual bags. My wife made cookies and packaged them in snack sized baggies.

All in all it was a good day!

• #18 by jdmessner on 28 Aug 2020
  • The picture quality on my phone is not great, but hopefully you get the idea.

[ Invalid Attachment ]
     [ Invalid Attachment ]
     [ Invalid Attachment ]
     [ Invalid Attachment ]
     [ Invalid Attachment ]
  • #19 by pmillen on 28 Aug 2020
  • My dream neighborhood would be my house between yours and the Meredith's.
  • #20 by Kristin Meredith on 28 Aug 2020
  • Wow, that looks so great JD.  Bet your neighbors are happy you all moved in!!!!  Nicely done. :clap:
  • #21 by Kristin Meredith on 28 Aug 2020

What a nice thing to say.  I have some empty land, we would welcome you and Marcia any day as neighbors! Since we don't like bbq, but like to cook it, I can guarantee a continual supply!
  • #22 by Bar-B-Lew on 28 Aug 2020
  • Great work.  Did you get any feedback from the neighbors?
  • #23 by yorkdude on 29 Aug 2020
  • Looks great and glad it worked out for you. Nicely done.
  • #24 by jdmessner on 29 Aug 2020

What a nice thing to say.  I have some empty land, we would welcome you and Marcia any day as neighbors! Since we don't like bbq, but like to cook it, I can guarantee a continual supply!

Thank you! I have to agree with Kristin, I think that is one of the nicest comments I have ever received!!

The feedback from the neighbors has been very positive. I will have to try this again sometime in the near future.
  • #25 by jdmessner on 07 Oct 2020
  • I really do think BBQ is a good way to bring people together. There is something satisfying about being able to talk and share with others around a meal. When I did the three BBQs it was a lot of fun getting to know folks. Several people that came had not been out much because of Covid or other health concerns. However, they were willing to have dinner together while sitting outside with others. 

There was one person in particular, Jim, that I really enjoyed meeting. He was one of those folks you talk with and instantly feel a connection. Of course it helped that he loved brisket (pulled pork not so much) and also was an avid pellet grill user! As we talked I also found out that he had been battling prostate and bone cancer. The doctor had recently told him that he was no longer responding to treatment and there was nothing else they could do. He was not discouraged, but seemed at peace with what was going on. He said he had a good life, loved his family, and found strength in his faith.

Last week Jim died and the funeral was yesterday. I smoked an 18 lb. brisket for the luncheon afterwards. The family, especially his son, really appreciated it. I just am thankful for the time I had with Jim and the life lessons he taught me in just the short time we had together.
  • #26 by Bar-B-Lew on 07 Oct 2020
  • That is unfortunate he passed so soon after you met him, but a very kind gesture by you to make the brisket for his family.  Keep up the great work.
  • #27 by Canadian John on 07 Oct 2020

•   That was very kind of you. By the sounds of it, that's something Jim would much appreciate.
  • #28 by yorkdude on 07 Oct 2020
  • Puts everything, everyone and every situation into perspective.
    What a great gesture and may he Rest In Peace.
  • #29 by Bentley on 07 Oct 2020
  • As a man of faith, he probably took pleasure in this verse like me... "In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you."
Pages:
Actions