Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice needed - New Outdoor Kitchen  (Read 2857 times)

ba123

• Using less gas.
Re: Advice needed - New Outdoor Kitchen
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2020, 12:11:22 PM »

@big lou: Yeah, I thouhgt about swapping those as well so that I can stand in the same place to use either grill. I think that would be really nice, although I would lose that corner area of counter top if I did that, but gain more area near the sink. That may be a good way to go though... Anyone else have thoughts on this?

@Bar-B-Lew: I can put a griddle on the Tec (they make one for it) and I will most certainly use it. If I had a sink in my Garage, I'd be happy, but do not and i think I'd use the sink unless it's a super tiny one. I originally thought I wanted a stand alone griddle, but I could even get one and put it on the Memphis and it would work the same. That Tec is just plain cool for multiple cooking methods.

@Thoreau: yes, the fridge area counter is prep area. Not sure what you mean about heat--meaning the area around the kitchen? It back up to a stucco wall that I will likely put brick as well or at least thin brick paneling.

@Kristin: I'm lucky as well... I have a guest studio above my garage and the wall my kitchen is going up against is wehere the hot water heater is for the guest studio. Also have a drain cleanout I can plug into for the drain. Seems like a no-brainer. Gas is even already here! Bam!

I guess Thoreau brought up another question I've been thinking about. Is that enough space between my grills and my wall? Should I have any spacer? Counter will be 30" deep so I meet the minimums for the grill manufacturers.

Thank you all! I really appreciate the thoughts.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 12:13:08 PM by ba123 »

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2020, 02:07:32 PM »

@big lou: Yeah, I thouhgt about swapping those as well so that I can stand in the same place to use either grill. I think that would be really nice, although I would lose that corner area of counter top if I did that, but gain more area near the sink. That may be a good way to go though... Anyone else have thoughts on this?

@Bar-B-Lew: I can put a griddle on the Tec (they make one for it) and I will most certainly use it. If I had a sink in my Garage, I'd be happy, but do not and i think I'd use the sink unless it's a super tiny one. I originally thought I wanted a stand alone griddle, but I could even get one and put it on the Memphis and it would work the same. That Tec is just plain cool for multiple cooking methods.

@Thoreau: yes, the fridge area counter is prep area. Not sure what you mean about heat--meaning the area around the kitchen? It back up to a stucco wall that I will likely put brick as well or at least thin brick paneling.

@Kristin: I'm lucky as well... I have a guest studio above my garage and the wall my kitchen is going up against is wehere the hot water heater is for the guest studio. Also have a drain cleanout I can plug into for the drain. Seems like a no-brainer. Gas is even already here! Bam!

I guess Thoreau brought up another question I've been thinking about. Is that enough space between my grills and my wall? Should I have any spacer? Counter will be 30" deep so I meet the minimums for the grill manufacturers.

I asked above about your water supply.  Will your cabinets etc back up to the house wall, and is there a faucet nearby. A lot will depend on where you live, and what kind of winters you have.  How will you drain the sink as well. ??

ba123

• Using less gas.
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2020, 03:39:47 PM »

@Kristin: I'm lucky as well... I have a guest studio above my garage and the wall my kitchen is going up against is where the hot water heater is for the guest studio. Also have a drain cleanout I can plug into for the drain. Seems like a no-brainer. Gas is even already here! Bam!

I asked above about your water supply.  Will your cabinets etc back up to the house wall, and is there a faucet nearby. A lot will depend on where you live, and what kind of winters you have.  How will you drain the sink as well. ??

I answered those within my responses above (quote modified to only show those) except I'm in California and no freeze worries. About being right up against the wall, that was my last added question in that post. Would love any advice on that as well!

Thank you!

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2020, 05:08:03 PM »

For the Elite, did you get the Heat Shield Kit ?
Without it, you need 18" clearance to combustibles on the sides, with it, only 1/8". Also need 18" clearance above.
On the rear, you only need 3-1/2" clearance, which is about the width of the rear bracket.
If you put it back against the wall and if you ever need to get to the electronics, fans, auger, etc., you will have to slide the grill out and work over top.
And weighing about 300 lbs. no easy task for one person.
Also have to swap hopper lid around so you can fill from front.

My suggestion would be to leave room so you can get back there, 18"-24".
That also give you the option to put access panels on the back for storage or whatever if you so choose.
If I hadn't left room in back, I would have been sliding mine out from the get-go.
Was DOA when I got it. Had a bad RTD that I had to replace (dang Chinese made stuff).
Also had to press the reset button on the wi-fi card and check status lights when trying to get that to work.

You could probably find the cutout document on the Memphis web site (If you don't have it). It shows the clearances on it.
Make sure it is for new style with wi-fi (I assume that is what you have).
f you can't find it, PM me your email address and I can send it to you.

Just my  :2cents:
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2020, 09:02:06 AM »

@Kristin: I'm lucky as well... I have a guest studio above my garage and the wall my kitchen is going up against is where the hot water heater is for the guest studio. Also have a drain cleanout I can plug into for the drain. Seems like a no-brainer. Gas is even already here! Bam!

I answered those within my responses above (quote modified to only show those) except I'm in California and no freeze worries. About being right up against the wall, that was my last added question in that post. Would love any advice on that as well!

Thank you!
Sounds like you are good to go!.  Sorry I missed your comments.

ba123

• Using less gas.
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2020, 12:26:38 PM »

I really can't decide on this stuff and worried I'm going to make the wrong decision...with all of it.

Those of you that have a Memphis, do you wish you had something else? If I get a Tec with it, is a 26" enough for the Tec? I had the design in there with the 44" Tec and it's just huge and takes up so much space. My yard isn't big enough to entertain that many people, so maybe the 26" is enough... I also want to make sure I'm happy with my storage out there. Would be nice to get my outdoor cooking stuff out of the garage.

Latest revision of the kitchen design attached from Grillnetics. Anyone use them or recommend someone else for the frame?

In this design, from left to right, is a Coyote Fridge, PCM Insulated Sink (will have access door from behind) Memphis control and trash. Memphis Elite, (here, I don't see why I can't fit a 3 drawer unit). then the Tec and the doors underneath are too small and I'm addressing that.

Any input on any-thing is welcomed and appreciated. I've never done anything like this and really want to enjoy this space.

Lastly, I will have a louvered roof (Equinox) above the kitchen and seating area. Thought about making a solid roof above the kitchen and the louvers for the rest, but not sure that would look right and likely making it he whole way.

Thanks again!

Thgnaks!

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2020, 01:24:45 PM »

For the Memphis...
Make sure you have easy access to the power cord. Memphis recommends unplugging after use (cool-down mode finished).
If you use a GFCI outlet, make sure you have access to replace it in the future. They do go bad.
For drawers/doors under the Memphis, height is limited unless you go with a higher countertop. (standard height is 36").
I got the drawer below at BBQGuys. It is same width as Elite (Made by Memphis).  Pricey.
It is 2.5" off ground, 13" high, and 5" to bottom of grill for a 36" countertop.
Make sure any cabinets/doors will fit.
Make sure you have cutout specs for the new style grill/controller.
New style controller is taller and more square than rectangle (as your drawing indicates).
Have ability to pull cables from Controller to Grill and Grill to Controller. after all cabinetry/countertop work is done.
Have an outlet near grill for small shop vac for ash removal.

As much as I hate the fact that the Memphis is made in China and is inferior to the USA made ones, IMO it is still the best design with auger away from the burn pot.
Double wall construction is good too.

Louvered roofs are great. Had them in last two outdoor cooking areas.

I know absolutely nothing about the Tec.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 01:28:30 PM by 02ebz06 »
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2020, 02:31:14 PM »

I have a Memphis Pro, it is the Only pit I need.  I don't need charcoal or gas.  Maybe that helps, maybe it does not.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2020, 03:32:25 PM »

One thing I forgot...
You are concerned about storage for your BBQ tools.
I use this and it works great.
Just a tool cart on wheels from Home Depot.
Keep all the following in it:
Aluminum foil
Remote thermometers
Whole chicken racks
Stuffed Pepper racks
Chicken Wing racks
Jalapeno racks
Frog Mats (AKA Q-Matz)
Various other things...

« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 03:34:46 PM by 02ebz06 »

thenap

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2020, 06:50:04 PM »

Big Fan of Equinox Roof. Had mine put in 2013. Just replaced motor that stopped working. I original bought a spare motor for future for about $100.00. Also ordered another just in case $450.00 now. Replaced motor myself. I Did not buy the solar setup. Great choice in Roof.

ba123

• Using less gas.
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2020, 07:18:03 PM »

Thank you... this input helps.

I think I'm going down to the 26" Tec. That other one is just so huge and It won't be my main grill.

Love that Rolling storage idea! I will have to do that, or maybe find a rolling bar to get two birds...

For the Memphis power, I plan on having access, but would love some sort of power control, like I can set it to turn off at X:00 or in X many hours if I'm doing a long smoke.

Lastly, anybody that's happy with their refrigerator? I've read so many bad reviews on stuff.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2020, 07:37:05 PM »

Thank you... this input helps.

I think I'm going down to the 26" Tec. That other one is just so huge and It won't be my main grill.

Love that Rolling storage idea! I will have to do that, or maybe find a rolling bar to get two birds...

For the Memphis power, I plan on having access, but would love some sort of power control, like I can set it to turn off at X:00 or in X many hours if I'm doing a long smoke.

Lastly, anybody that's happy with their refrigerator? I've read so many bad reviews on stuff.

I'm not sure removing power from a running grill is a good idea.
I know it happens from time to time with storms, but I wouldn't want to add to the chances of something happening to electronics.
You can use the Memphis Probe and have it drop the grill temp to 180 once it reaches the temp you set.
Say you are cooking a brisket at 275, and want it get to 203 (Memphis probe in meat).
Once the Memphis probe gets to 203, it drops the 275 down to 180.
I can't swear 100% that it still does that, but did in older controller.
I will check manual and get back...
Just looked in manual.  Still does it, but for Probe 1 only, not 2 and 3.
Apparently it has two modes, Read Only, and Keep Warm.
You have to take it out of Read Only mode for it to drop the temp to 180.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 07:42:15 PM by 02ebz06 »

ba123

• Using less gas.
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2020, 07:40:28 PM »

I'm sure it does. My inexpensive GMG does that, so I'd hope this has the same abilities.

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2020, 10:56:05 AM »

For the memphis I would probably just wire up a switch to cut power to the outlet, be easier than trying to plug and unplug. Mount it right beside the controller. You can probably get one with a cover of some sort that you need to lift to access the switch,that would help keep from it accidentally getting turned on or off.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2020, 11:16:54 AM »

Make sure you can get to the full back side of the Memphis.  You need to take the back panel off in order to unplug the igniter rod and fish the wires back in and out as you replace it.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up