Pages:
Actions
  • #46 by ba123 on 01 Mar 2021
  • No disrespect, I really do appreciate all the help but I'm not worried about lightning hitting my grill underneath my pergola. I think there's a higher probability of the world ending from an alien invasion.  :help:

This is from the Memphis site:
    "we recommend unplugging the grill between usages.  For Built-in situations that may make this inconvenient, we recommend installing an on/off switch that is easily accessible so the power can be turned off between grilling sessions."
  • #47 by okie smokie on 01 Mar 2021
  • One of the reasons for unplugging between uses is that rarely outdoor rodents (including squirrels; i.e. tree "tree rats") will chew insulation off wiring and can cause fires or shockhazards. Happens in attics if vermin have entry. Of course if you have an isolated wiring to your outdoor kitchen then you can turn off the power at the fusebox. Or if the receptacle has built in circuit breaker no problem. But I still do not leave plugged in appliances outside (except for the heat tape on my sprinkler manifold--but has 15 amp circuit breaker at the socket.)
    I can tell you from personal experience, that lightning does not have to hit your grill directly. We had a lightning strike next to our house a few years ago, and it killed 3 TVs, an expensive music amplifier, dishwasher, and wash machine. And three wall receptacle. Fried the electronics. We were told by insurance inspector that this was a common occurrence. That the high voltage enters the ground and travelled into the ground wire system and into our house wiring.  I was skeptical of that explanation, after all ground should be ground but apparently and instant high load entering the ground can travel in all directions until it is diminished. We never did find the strike point!  And fortunately I had insurance on all the TV's and Stereo (Best Buy). Had to buy the dishwasher, and got a new control panel for the wash machine. I replaced the receptacles with ground faults. I have high quality circuit breakers on all my stereo and TV now.  :2cents:
  • #48 by Brushpopper on 02 Mar 2021
  • I can't tell you how much electronic stuff we've had fried from a lightning strike nearby.  It's more than I care to remember and most of it was on expensive surge protectors that didn't work.  We unplug everything now when we have a storm approaching.  Just my  :2cents:.
  • #49 by 02ebz06 on 02 Mar 2021
  • No disrespect, I really do appreciate all the help but I'm not worried about lightning hitting my grill underneath my pergola. I think there's a higher probability of the world ending from an alien invasion.  :help:

This is from the Memphis site:
    "we recommend unplugging the grill between usages.  For Built-in situations that may make this inconvenient, we recommend installing an on/off switch that is easily accessible so the power can be turned off between grilling sessions."

As Okie Smokie said, Lightening hitting the grill isn't the reason for unplugging the power cord.  Lightening hits the power lines and travels to the equipment.

• #50 by ba123 on 02 Mar 2021
  • Ok, I get it. Lightning is very rare around here but I'll figure something out to be safe.

The only power for the grill plugs into the control box, correct?

Anyone have any power suggestions? Better to put some outlets in the wall above the counter or in the kitchen frame, or just inside underneath? I'm leaning towards 3 on the wall above, one on the right side frame on the outside of where the fridge is, and one on the outside behind the left side (as well as the ones I need inside.

Also, I'm putting 3cm quartzite on the countertop but any ideas for that backsplash wall? Leave the stucco or put something there?

Thanks!
  • #51 by 02ebz06 on 02 Mar 2021
  • Ok, I get it. Lightning is very rare around here but I'll figure something out to be safe.

The only power for the grill plugs into the control box, correct?

Anyone have any power suggestions? Better to put some outlets in the wall above the counter or in the kitchen frame, or just inside underneath? I'm leaning towards 3 on the wall above, one on the right side frame on the outside of where the fridge is, and one on the outside behind the left side (as well as the ones I need inside.

Also, I'm putting 3cm quartzite on the countertop but any ideas for that backsplash wall? Leave the stucco or put something there?

Thanks!

Yes, only power for grill plugs into controller.

Make sure you have an outlet near the grill for a small vacuum for cleaning ashes out of the grill.
    My controller is on the side like yours, and the outlet for the vacuum is between controller and corner.
    I don't have a wall, so that may be easier for you.
    Put outlets on the ends of the islands if you can. You never know if you will get another pellet smoker, or ? ? ?
    Think about things you don't do out there now, but might, make margaritas, have a deep fryer on the counter, etc. Put in outlets for them.

A thinner quartzite might be the easy option for backsplash.
    You might want something high behind the grill to keep smoke off the stucco.

• #52 by Brushpopper on 03 Mar 2021
  • I would definitely want a backsplash and put twice the number of plugs you think you might need.  They're cheap and it's easier to do now than add them later. 
  • #53 by Bar-B-Lew on 03 Mar 2021
  • I would definitely want a backsplash and put twice the number of plugs you think you might need.  They're cheap and it's easier to do now than add them later.

I would also consider putting in higher amps on the breaker for those outlets than you think you may need.  Running several things at a time or running things to keep food warm may consume more than 15 amps.  I know I can not run more than one electric steam table on a 15 amp line.  When I have 2 or 3 of them running in my garage for a party, I have to find outlets on different breakers so I don't trip one of them.
  • #54 by 02ebz06 on 03 Mar 2021

I would also consider putting in higher amps on the breaker for those outlets than you think you may need.  Running several things at a time or running things to keep food warm may consume more than 15 amps.  I know I can not run more than one electric steam table on a 15 amp line.  When I have 2 or 3 of them running in my garage for a party, I have to find outlets on different breakers so I don't trip one of them.

Agree, or at the very least, run 12ga wire to all the outlets instead of 14ga.
    You can always change the breaker from 15A to 20A if you are tripping the 15A breaker.
    You can't do that if you have 14ga wire.
  • #55 by ba123 on 03 Mar 2021
  • Thanks for that...I am VERY lucky in that this space I'm putting my kitchen seems like it was designed for me to put my kitchen there. The wall I butt up against, is my garage with a guest unit. I have a water heater right there so I get hot water for my sink, I have a drain cleanout to tap into, I had gas already there for furnace and hot water heater, and I also have an electrical panel right on the other side of that wall as well. BIG SCORE!

SO, I'm having the electrical run all new circuits and a dedicated one for the Memphis as they recommend. He thought that was as funny as I thought it was since it only draws 4 amps, but whatever. I will have a lot out there from that panel though. All the outlets, smoker, refrigerator, equinox roof (it is EVER gets installed--that is a whole other story--ordered in Sept or Oct).

Once this thing is done, I will not want to leave my home except to play golf. I'll have to start calling it "The Compound". Covid even made me put in a gym!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
     :bbq: :bbq: :bbq: :bbq: :bbq:
     :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:
  • #56 by ba123 on 23 Apr 2021
  • I’m on the final stretch...just installed my Memphis elite.

Does this app even work? It crashes when I enter the grill info.

Will post pics when all other components are in.

• #57 by Bentley on 23 Apr 2021
  • Would there be a current update you might be missing?
  • #58 by ba123 on 23 Apr 2021
  • I have the latest app update and grill has the latest firmware that I see (3.04).
  • #59 by 02ebz06 on 23 Apr 2021
  • I’m on the final stretch...just installed my Memphis elite.

Does this app even work? It crashes when I enter the grill info.

Will post pics when all other components are in.

I had a lot of issues with mine too when first installed.
    Besides the bad RTD, when shutting it down, it would go into cool-down mode, then for some reason in a few minutes would start back up.
    Had problems getting the WiFi configured as well.

Worked fine for about 9 months, but last time I used it the WiFi wasn't working.
    Will have to play with it next time I'm ready to use it.  A few weeks I think.
  • #60 by ba123 on 23 Apr 2021
  • It’s driving me a little crazy. It looks great, quality of the grill seems great, temp control seems great, and was easy to connect the grill to my home WiFi.

But, no matter what I do, I cannot get the app to go past the screen where I enter the MAC address. Crashes every time. Thought maybe it was because of the new Apple privacy and it doesn’t  allow you to say whether it’s ok to access local network, but even tried on a couple older devices with older iOS and still crashed just the same.

I called tech support while they were still open, had to leave a vm and no call back.

My old pellet grill is a Green Mountain and while that was a pain connecting as well, even that was better than this. Hope I get it figured out.
Pages:
Actions