Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by urnmor on 28 Aug 2020
  • I will be interested in the recipe. It sounds like it should be a more savory cheesecake than sweet, but will be interested to see.

I am presenting to versions of the recipe. I used version two with one minor variation.  This recipe for the cheesecake does not require a water bath ( I assume because back in those times water was a scarce commodity and had to be drawn from a well or stream).  Because it doe not use a water bath the cheesecake will sink wench cooled, that know way impacts the flavor. 

I used a 9" springform pan with the sides and bottom buttered and cooked it at 350.

The crust was a graham cracker crust one version is as follows:.
    1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
    1/2 cup of finely chopped walnuts
    1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese
    2 tablespoon of sugar
    4 ops of melted butter

Mix all the dry ingredients and stir in the melted butter, press firmly into the bottom and up the sides.  bake 8 to 10 minutes or until the op begins to brown.  Let cool.

For the cake batter:

11/4 cups of parmesan cheese
    6 ops of cream cheese soften at room temp
    2 oz of sour cream
    2 eggs separated
    1/2 cups of sugar
    1 teaspoon of lemon juice
    1/2 teaspoon of lemon zest

Mix the cheeses, sour cream, egg yolks, sugar, lemon juice, and zest until incorporated and smooth
    beat the egg whites to s tiff peak and fold in to the mixture.  bake for about 25 to 30 minute or until the center is mostly set.  let cool  then refrigerate for at least four hours.

I used a slightly different version found in another one of Chef Staib's cookbook "tThe City Tavern Cookbook"

The crust used:
     2 cups of graham cracker crumbs
    1/2 cup of finely chopped walnuts
    1/4 cup of sugar6 Tablespoons of melted butter

The filling:

1 cup of parmesan cheese
    8 ozs of soften cream cheese
    2 eggs separated
    1 cup of sugar
    1 tablespoon of lemon juice
    1 teaspoon of lemon zest

mix the cheeses, sugar and the 2 egg yolks until well incorporated then mix in the lemon juice and zest.

Whip the egg whites into a meringue and fold into the cheese mixture.  (here I had problems making the meringue as I could not get them to whip properly.  So I started that over and used a version of my meringue recipe for lemon pie: four egg whites, 1/4 cup ofsugar  with 1/4 teaspoon of cream of tartar and cornstarch mixed with water.)  I eyed ball the amount of meringue I added to the cheese mixture and used the left over to serve as a topping.

Cook the same way as above.

Hope you enjoy
Pages:
Actions