Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by sfzy113432 on 31 Aug 2020
  • So, I've a Trager Timberline that I'm ready to grow out of, looking at the Memphis Pro or Elite, either is budgetable, the question to me is size.

I regularly smoke at least 2 chickens ( beer can style ) though would love to do them spatchcocked.
    Turkeys from 14-18lbs, and of course the other usual suspects.

Can I get two spatchcocked chickens layed out on a Pro?

Any other reason to pick one or the other, aside from the higher upper temp in the Elite?
  • #2 by Bentley on 31 Aug 2020
  • They are both great units, I own a Pro, I long for an Elite!
  • #3 by 02ebz06 on 31 Aug 2020
  • I've owned both (Sorry I ever sold the Pro), currently have Elite built-in.
    I think the Pro would be tight for two spatchcocked chickens, small maybe, large unlikely.
    Elite should be no problem.
  • #4 by Canadian John on 01 Sep 2020

•  Firstly; Welcome.

I had a Traeger for ~ 5 years as an intro to cooking with pellets. I learned what to like and what I disliked.  It was replaced w/ a Memphis Pro 3 + years ago. Night + day difference. The Pro is so easy to

maintain, heats up super fast, maintains heat + heats up to temps I rarely use......As for the Pro vs the Elite - The Elite is physically larger and uses more pellets..

Depending on the chickens, the Pro might be snug when cooking two large spatchcocked chickens. Two Fryers, ~ 3 lbs, shouldn't be a problem.  To check, simply spatchcock a large chicken and measure it.

Remember there is a no cook perimeter zone as on the Traeger so don't be mislead with the cook grate size. Hope all works out well in your quest.
  • #5 by bregent on 01 Sep 2020
  • You might be able to fit more if you halve them - and could also put a few halves on the mid level grate.
  • #6 by TravlinMan on 01 Sep 2020
  • Really enjoy our Pro. If 'real estate' is an issue, go with the Elite.

I, like others, have another grill (stepping stone) that I pull out when extra or another cooking area is needed.

If you consistently cook a large quantity of food at one time, definitely get the larger elite.

Just my 2 cents.. :2cents:
  • #7 by Bar-B-Lew on 01 Sep 2020
  • I have an Elite.  I am not sure I would agree with the comment about it using more pellets than the Pro, but I have never owned a Pro.  I find it to be the most efficient of the 5 pellet grills that I own.
  • #8 by okie smokie on 01 Sep 2020
  • I have an Elite.  I am not sure I would agree with the comment about it using more pellets than the Pro, but I have never owned a Pro.  I find it to be the most efficient of the 5 pellet grills that I own.
    Do you sometimes cook the same thing on all five pellet grills and compare the results?  If so what did you conclude?
  • #9 by Bentley on 01 Sep 2020
  • I will have to see if I can come up with an old pellet consumption chart.  I think the Elite might have had the best performance between the Pro, Advantage and it...

• #10 by Bentley on 01 Sep 2020
  • Wrong again...
  • #11 by David on 02 Sep 2020
  • Get the Elite  you will not be sorry
  • #12 by Bar-B-Lew on 02 Sep 2020
    Do you sometimes cook the same thing on all five pellet grills and compare the results?  If so what did you conclude?

No, I am not one to log my cooks like many others do.  I am not perfecting a world renowned recipe or have plans or desires to wins lots of money on the BBQ circuit so I don't go through the effort.  My comment was from my memory of how frequently am I having to add pellets to a grill based on what I cook because I usually cook in the 250°-275° range on all of the grills regardless of what I cook.
  • #13 by sfzy113432 on 03 Sep 2020
  • All very helpful comments/replies.

I'm settled on the elite, now to just start to work on selling the wife on a Tec to replace my aging Lynx.  :D
  • #14 by Bar-B-Lew on 03 Sep 2020

I'm settled on the elite, now to just start to work on selling the wife on a Tec to replace my aging Lynx.  :D

Congratulations!  Start strengthening those hands, wrists, and forearms.  You will need it to pull off the film on the stainless steel of that Memphis.
  • #15 by 02ebz06 on 03 Sep 2020

Best of luck convincing SWMBO.
Pages:
Actions