Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by bhein on 01 Sep 2020
  • Has anyone cooked a 16" premade pizza from Costco or Sam's on a MAK 2 Star. We've done them in both in our kitchen ovens but never on a pellet grill. I'm pretty sure the cooking directions are 15-17min. at 375F.

Any experience and/or tips will be greatly appreciated.

Bruce
  • #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 01 Sep 2020
  • Cook it the same as you would in the oven.  The only difference will be that you will have a slight smoke flavor.
  • #3 by bhein on 01 Sep 2020
  • Thanks Bar-B-Lew.

I like the simple solutions.

Bruce
  • #4 by 02ebz06 on 01 Sep 2020
  • Best to have a pizza stone or pizza steel, but can be done without.
  • #5 by okie smokie on 01 Sep 2020
  • I do Papa Murphy's on my RT590 at 400* on my aluminum 16" (perforated) pan.  It takes 18 to 20 minutes almost every time.  I get nice browned edges, and some browning on bottom of the crust. Either thin or regular crust. Prefer the regular crust, as the thin is too thin for me. Pizza comes with a thin cardboard under it and you leave that on when cooking. I tried a Costco pizza last year and it was good also, (had too much pepperoni, which I thinned out). Seems to cook better on the smoker, than in oven but don't know why.
  • #6 by bhein on 01 Sep 2020
    Unfortunately I don't have a stone for this cook.

I do Papa Murphy's on my RT590 at 400* on my aluminum 16" (perforated) pan.  It takes 18 to 20 minutes almost every time.  I get nice browned edges, and some browning on bottom of the crust. Either thin or regular crust. Prefer the regular crust, as the thin is too thin for me. Pizza comes with a thin cardboard under it and you leave that on when cooking. I tried a Costco pizza last year and it was good also, (had too much pepperoni, which I thinned out). Seems to cook better on the smoker, than in oven but don't know why.
    Did you follow the direction on the Papa Murphy's package? At least on this first pizza cook, I'll probably follow them.

Thanks for both of your comments.
    Bruce
  • #7 by TravlinMan on 01 Sep 2020
  • Have cooked 'store bought' pizza on the Memphis or LG (brand doesn't matter) many times - comes out wonderful every time.

I put mine directly on the grates, and let the grill warm up 'before' putting the pizza on.

Just cook in the middle and not near an edge, follow the recommended cooking temp and times..

During these hot days, it keeps the heat from the oven out of the house and the Air Conditioner doesn't have to over work to compensate.

:clap:......... :bbq:
  • #8 by okie smokie on 01 Sep 2020
    Unfortunately I don't have a stone for this cook.

I do Papa Murphy's on my RT590 at 400* on my aluminum 16" (perforated) pan.  It takes 18 to 20 minutes almost every time.  I get nice browned edges, and some browning on bottom of the crust. Either thin or regular crust. Prefer the regular crust, as the thin is too thin for me. Pizza comes with a thin cardboard under it and you leave that on when cooking. I tried a Costco pizza last year and it was good also, (had too much pepperoni, which I thinned out). Seems to cook better on the smoker, than in oven but don't know why.
    Did you follow the direction on the Papa Murphy's package? At least on this first pizza cook, I'll probably follow them.

Thanks for both of your comments.
    Bruce
    Yes I did. +-.  I think they said 18 min on the last one. But I found 20 min. gave better crust.  Pays to inspect before pulling the pie.  I had brown spots, but no black spots underneath. 
    Whoops! Error!  I should have written 425* for oven temp.  Also, that was for 16 inch reg. crust.  Sorry. 
  • #9 by Bar-B-Lew on 01 Sep 2020
  • Let us know how it turns out for you.
  • #10 by bhein on 02 Sep 2020
  • I followed the directions, 375F for 15min, and added 2-3 more min to give the crust a lt. brown crisper finish. Overall, great taste with a slight smokey background.

BTW, no stone used, just laid the pie on the grates.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

Bruce
  • #11 by zephyr on 15 Nov 2021
  • Old Pics

[ Invalid Attachment ]

• #12 by zephyr on 15 Nov 2021
  •  [ Invalid Attachment ]

Stainless plate, then the stone
Pages:
Actions