Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best time to buy a grill?  (Read 1353 times)

02ebz06

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Rio Rancho, NM
Re: Best time to buy a grill?
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2020, 07:00:51 PM »

The Blazin did and upgrade on the program. No more problems even if i shutdown at 500.

I think that update was in part due to me bugging Tim to change the shutdown code so the fan didn't run continually.
With fan blowing, you have a high flame, without it, just a real low flame that can't reach the hopper.
Was updated after I sold the GridIron.   :(

Doesn't mean it can't still happen, just a whole lot less likely.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2020, 02:41:22 PM »

I spent a little bit of time the last couple of days playing around with the Louisiana grill.

First the good news: It turns on, the auger turns, I can see the igniter get red hot, the temp can be adjusted up and down on the controller, there is smoke.

Then the Bad news: Every once in a while there is a creaking kind of sound coming from the auger. I am assuming it is from one revolution of the auger, but it continues to feed pellets and rotate normally for several revolutions after that. The pellets are not catching fire and the grill never heats up. Would a new controller fix those problems?

It looks like this may be more of a project then I first thought. Given the weather and the season I don't know if I will have a lot of time to play around with it until spring. So it looks like I am probably going to go back to the original plan for my son and pick up a  GMG DC for him. I can get one now for $285, but after chatting with someone on the website, it looks like they will be doing something for Black Friday, but they couldn't say what. I have waited this long, I guess I can hold out for a couple more weeks!
"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2020, 03:03:10 PM »

I spent a little bit of time the last couple of days playing around with the Louisiana grill.

First the good news: It turns on, the auger turns, I can see the igniter get red hot, the temp can be adjusted up and down on the controller, there is smoke.

Then the Bad news: Every once in a while there is a creaking kind of sound coming from the auger. I am assuming it is from one revolution of the auger, but it continues to feed pellets and rotate normally for several revolutions after that. The pellets are not catching fire and the grill never heats up. Would a new controller fix those problems?

It looks like this may be more of a project then I first thought. Given the weather and the season I don't know if I will have a lot of time to play around with it until spring. So it looks like I am probably going to go back to the original plan for my son and pick up a  GMG DC for him. I can get one now for $285, but after chatting with someone on the website, it looks like they will be doing something for Black Friday, but they couldn't say what. I have waited this long, I guess I can hold out for a couple more weeks!

Creaking sound from auger can be foreign object was in hopper, extra long pellets, bent auger.
Probably other possibilities, but those come to mind.

Unlikely controller is the problem of pellets not catching fire.
Was hopper and auger tube empty when you put pellets in?
If so, Hot Rod may have been turned off before pellets got to burn pot.
Could the pellets be damp?

Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2020, 04:44:53 PM »

Creaking sound from auger can be foreign object was in hopper, extra long pellets, bent auger.
Probably other possibilities, but those come to mind.

Unlikely controller is the problem of pellets not catching fire.
Was hopper and auger tube empty when you put pellets in?
If so, Hot Rod may have been turned off before pellets got to burn pot.
Could the pellets be damp?

Played around with the grill a little more today and am feeling a bit encouraged. There was no creaking of the auger, so it was probably something working its way out. The other day, before I first turned the grill on I did try and run the auger and get as much ash and residue out as I could. The pellet tube was as clear as I could get it, but there is always some stubborn stuff that is difficult to get out.

The problem with igniting the pellets was two fold. The pellet pan must have warped in the fire. The pellets were not dropping in the right spot. The pan was over the igniter and the pellets were not making contact. The overall configuration of the pellet drop and pan is much different than what I have previously experienced, so it took a while to figure out that it was not lined up right.

OK truth be told, it was my wife that figured it out!!

The other problem was that the fan was stuck, gave it a tap and wall-ah, fire! It looks like the controller is fine. I guess the next step is to order a new faceplate and see if we can either fix the pellet pan or if I will need to break down and purchase a new one.
"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2020, 05:18:08 PM »

If the pellet drop is not a problem after the fire is started, you could consider putting a handful of pellets on the ignitor rod before startup and then turning on the grill.  They should ignite and then the other pellets dropping in should continue to provide the fuel.  A bit of extra work each time you start it, but may give you ability to use before you fix the pellet drop.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2020, 01:09:18 PM »

The Black Friday special is up for the GMG DC. I ordered one yesterday for my son, it was $275. It should be here Monday. Not a bad way to Christmas shop.

As for the Louisiana grill it seems like one step forward, two steps back. I fired it up the other night and thought I would try cooking a whole chicken as a test run. It started up nicely and I think I had it set for somewhere around 250. After about 30 minutes or so the controller dropped down to 180. I turned it back up and about 15 minutes later it did the same thing. That game got old after the third round, so I took it off the grill and finished it in the oven.

On another note, the auger stopped on my Pit Boss. Not sure what is going on there. It looks like I will need to take it apart and see what is going on. Since we got about 3 or 4 inches of snow last night, it may be a while before I get to it.

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2020, 11:17:28 PM »

I think I got everything squared away on the Louisiana. Did my first full cook on it today and it worked out well. My kids and their significant others were up for a belated Christmas dinner and presents.

I went to a couple of different grocery stores looking for prime rib and was surprised to find they were wiped out after the holiday. The best I could find were two top round roasts that were approximately 5 lbs. each. I put them on the grill at 225* and cooked them until the IT reached 130*. For dinner I sliced one in about 1/4 inch slices and it was very juicy and tender. Initially I was afraid the roast might be dry and/or tough, but that was not a problem, it was very flavorful.

I just found out my brother is coming up this weekend with some of his friends to go snowmobiling. I was going to slice the other roast for Italian beef sandwiches, so that will work out well when they are here.

My son was very pleased with the GMG DC. I think he will have fun with it! I told him he was now qualified to join the forum!! 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up