Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pit Temperature Stability  (Read 496 times)

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Pit Temperature Stability
« on: September 12, 2020, 03:04:08 PM »

When I first got into pellet pits a few years back, temperature swings were one of the most discussed topics. It was the early years of controllers that replaced the timed controller AKA the 3 speed controller.

Now the topic is very low key or virtually non existent due to the PID controller. These controllers have many features not before present and offer rock steady temperature readouts. Now we are happy, I hope.

Reading a recent post, it was stated that controller programming has allowed for a steady temperature display even if the grate temp fluctuates. I can attest to that. On several low + slow cooks on my Memphis

Pro set to 225º, the control display read 225º. Every time I looked @ it it read the same, hour after hour. I also had my Thermoworks Smoke set up with two probes (meat + grate). It was interesting to note

the grate temperatures. Even though "swings" were present (not being displayed by the controller) they were there, the max being 5º from the set point. Generally it was 2 -3º. I consider that stability

excellent. If I went by the controller I would have said the pit temp was perfect..  In the end does it really matter?  Not by me. What matters is the end product.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
Re: Pit Temperature Stability
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 03:47:01 PM »

There is an algorithm in the controller to keep pit temp and set temp the same, even though it does fluctuate.
If you ever looked at the settings for the Pre-WiFI Memphis controller (or other pits with that same controller) you will see all kinds of parameters, some that affect that).
Close to 30 If I recall.
Obviously it can't be ever be 100% accurate as every time auger drops pellets into pot, the number of pellets can be different, pellet size different, moisture content of pellets could be different, etc.
It makes the Customer happy seeing actual = set, and it saves them getting a lot of calls "Why is my pit temp fluctuating?".
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 11:37:13 AM by 02ebz06 »
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 09:07:30 PM »

There is an algorithm in the controller to keep pit temp and set temp the same, even though it does fluctuate.
If you ever looked at the settings for the Pre-WiFI Memphis controller (or other pits with that same controller) you will see all kinds of parameters, some that affect that).
Close to 30 If I recall.
Obviously it can't be ever be 100% accurate as every time auger drops pellets into pot, the number of pellets can be different, pellet size different, moisture content of pellets could be different, etc.
It makes the Customer happy seeing actual - set, and it saves them getting a lot of calls "Why is my pit temp fluctuating?".

Yes it is impossible for it to stay at one temp and never fluctuate any at all.  You would be surprised the the cooker owners of one company will argue with you that they set it at 225 and the temp never moved over an 8 hour cook. It cooked at 200 or 225 whatever they had it set at and it stayed there. My sous vide devices don't hold that tight to never move.

smokin soon

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 12:46:25 AM »

I have stated a few times that I thought temp swings had little or no effect on the final product. In my 12 years with a Traeger, I saw more discussion on this with the advent of the first Maverick wireless years ago. Folks upgraded to better units with PID controllers and got rock steady temps. Some even stated less smoke flavor. Has anyone ever claimed a better tasting cook due to rock steady temps? I bought a Tappeque when they first came out. Works well, but brought out all the temp swings on the graph. Instant cure - I don't use the cabinet temp probe anymore!
When smoking a big chunk of meat like pork butts, briskets, ribs or chicken, I don't think the meat cares that much.

Brushpopper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • "The road goes on forever...
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2020, 10:00:13 AM »

When I first got my Traeger Tailgater, it had crazy temp swings above and below the set temp.  Enough so that I put an Ortech on it and that helped immensely.  It had been put together by Traeger employees at a road show and when I removed the original RTD, the screws weren't tight at all.  At the time I thought nothing of it other than shoddy work by them, but now I think it wasn't getting a good ground and that was the problem.  It still had temp swings with the Ortech, but nothing crazy and once I took Canadian John's advice of don't worry about it because the food ain't going to burn, everything was fine.  It was just too small for us and now lives with my neighbor since it's just the two of them.

My Daniel Boone was very solid with the temps and my Maverick 850 is spot on in the summer and varies slightly in the winter depending on the ambient temp.  Of course, it's nowhere near what y'all see up north for ambient temps.
And the party never ends!!" by Robert Earl Keen; I had these:
 Pitts and Spitts Maverick 850, 22" Blackstone, Broil King Keg 4000

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2020, 10:05:58 AM »

I have stated a few times that I thought temp swings had little or no effect on the final product. In my 12 years with a Traeger, I saw more discussion on this with the advent of the first Maverick wireless years ago. Folks upgraded to better units with PID controllers and got rock steady temps. Some even stated less smoke flavor. Has anyone ever claimed a better tasting cook due to rock steady temps? I bought a Tappeque when they first came out. Works well, but brought out all the temp swings on the graph. Instant cure - I don't use the cabinet temp probe anymore!
When smoking a big chunk of meat like pork butts, briskets, ribs or chicken, I don't think the meat cares that much.

I have to agree to a point on this. If you cook at XXX temp and over the period of the cook it goes up or down 50 begrees from what you have it set at I doubt it matters on long cooks. Maybe something like a shorter cook on fish it may.

I recently swapped the controller in my pit boss vertical for a pellet pro pid. Temps are more stable looking at the controller but no where near the smoke out put on the unit or the smoke profile on the food. I was happy with the flavor using the PB controller but it would just take off on me and i did not trust to get to far away from it while in use. I had seen mine run for hours with in maybe a 60 to 80 degree window only to watch temps shoot up 100+ from set point and then it drop almost to the point going out. I have had to open the door to help it get air as there were pellets going into the pot but the fire was so low they would not catch when the temps dropped I am guessing because of the air flow.

I have to confess, when I bought my first pellet unit i would check grate temps and all that in different spots, my last 2 cooker I have never done that, i just run them, i know my little gmg runs hotter than set temp because things seem to cook faster in it.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2020, 11:47:47 AM »

I have to confess, when I bought my first pellet unit i would check grate temps and all that in different spots, my last 2 cooker I have never done that, i just run them, i know my little gmg runs hotter than set temp because things seem to cook faster in it.

Knowing what the temp is at grate where you are cooking is more important that temp swings IMO.

My CampChef PGXXL-Pro vertical smoker manual even says temp swings can be as much as 20 degrees.
But they don't tell you the actual temp on the grate where you cook may be different that what RTD temp shows.
Mine was 25 degrees higher at the grate.
Explains why first pork shoulder had a 1/2" thick bark and dry.

Knowing that allows to compensate by allowing you to adjust the set temp accordingly.
Or, replace the controller with one you can calibrate, which is what I did.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 06:03:49 PM by 02ebz06 »
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2020, 12:13:28 PM »

When it's all said + done, do we really know if an even temperature actually cooks better? Is there any way to prove or disprove this?

Back to Brushpopper, above. As long as "the food ain't going to burn", is most meaningful.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2020, 01:21:03 PM »

When it's all said + done, do we really know if an even temperature actually cooks better? Is there any way to prove or disprove this?

Back to Brushpopper, above. As long as "the food ain't going to burn", is most meaningful.

You have to add "time" in to the equation.
Higher temp, needs lower time to acquire same result.

okie smokie

• Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2020, 05:55:53 PM »

Two scenarios:
1. The real time temps throughout a long cook, clearly visible on the pit's installed gauge. Each time you see the temp it is either up 40*, or down 40* or somewhere in between. After the 6 hr cook is up, you take out your ribs and they are good. so you assume that the overall average was around the 225* you selected.  Good for you. BUT how many times did you have to come back and look at the temp to make sure it was ok?  Just that anxiety alone takes your time, and you are never really sure if there might have been a greater aberration. Also, since the control cannot detect a truly aberrant temp swing that in the end makes your ribs over or undercooked. Yes I know a good chef knows his equipment, and checks the ribs off and on, thus being able to adjust the time or temp according to the condition of the ribs themselves. Ok ?

2. The well tuned PID control, samples the set temp and adjusts the pellet rate or fan speed without you having to interfere.  YES there are temp swings, but they are limited by the speed and efficiency of the PID to adjust. Also, not wanting it's owner to worry about the swings, it averages out the swings and can adjust the temp readout to a more dampened result (often able to keep the readout at the set rate).  Bottom line: the great chef above invented the PID controller so you would not have to worry as much. Could visit with your guests, and have an extra beer or two. And usually end up with your cook as you wanted it and at the time you wanted. Not perfect but impressive, nonetheless.

Now which would you rather have. :2cents:

ZCZ

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2020, 07:18:34 PM »

I would venture to say that many of the newer pellet grills on the market with a PID controller will hold tighter temps than the gas or electric oven in your kitchen.  Pellet cooking has come a long way - and it has been a fantastic ride! - especially with all the good folks on this website!
Al
2013 Memphis Pro
24th in Ribs at the 2015 American Royal
Titus 3:3-7

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2020, 09:35:38 PM »

My first pellet grill was a Traeger XL (still have it) and it had temp swings +/- 25 degrees.  I found some pellet message board on the internet and saw a performance test of a Memphis Elite that had very minor temp swings.  The person who performed the test will be held nameless to protect his identity.  It cost me about $3000 finding that website and that performance test.  Years later, I know a little more about pellet grills and realize that the temp swings don't matter too much.  I still like my Elite though.  I also agree that knowing your grate level temps is probably the most important thing so you can adjust your controller or your time of your cook.  Now that I know at least 2 of my grills really well, I don't use all of the Thermoworks products that are sitting in my garage because I really don't have much of a need to.  I should probably sell some of them and a few of my grills.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180
Pages: [1]   Go Up