Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keep it Clean  (Read 286 times)

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Keep it Clean
« on: September 14, 2020, 09:37:21 AM »

Once in a while someone will ask how to clean their pit. What I have found it is much easier to maintain rather than wait and have to work hard at removing the cooked on mess. In some cases that mess is

almost impossible to remove. I am referring to the outside.   In my case I have a Memphis, all stainless. One area that gums-up is the pellet hopper cover. The pit discharge flows over it. If it isn't kept clean the

mess transfers to the inside my vinyl cover.

I recall another member with a Memphis discussing the "chin" (vertical section under the handle) of his bit being dirty and how to clean it. A case  where clean after use would have nipped it in the bud.

What I do and have been doing for over two years is after each cook once the pit has cooled, I sprits the parts that have oily/smokey deposits and usually the shelves, with pure Simple Green then wipe it off

using a paper towel. Even then some areas need a more firm wipe than others. I have learned what areas to concentrate on, the ones that gum-up more than others.

I was concerned about Simple Green causing some sort of damage to the stainless. Not so. The Memphis remains nice and new looking.  BTW, the simple Green website states it is OK to use it on stainless.

SmokinHandyman

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Springfield, Illinois
Re: Keep it Clean
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 11:06:25 AM »

I use Simple Green also.
If you are gonna cook, Make it a fun day even when ya mess it up!                     Louisiana LG700

dk117

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 11:19:45 AM »

I've moved to WD40.  Makes the pit look like new for a few weeks, total effort 5 to 10 mins.  Obviously this is the exterior of the pit.  Interior is a brush, a putty knife and a shop vac.  Both jobs together are still under 15 mins as long as I do it every 2-3 weeks. 

DK
2018 Gator Pit Premier Texas II
2004 Vermont Castings Natural Gas Grill

02ebz06

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 12:28:21 PM »

I use Greased Lightening on exterior to remove any grease or smoke (great for removing smoke).
Then a a stainless steel cleaner.
Inside, I don't touch, other than grates with wire brush, occasionally remove them and give them a good bath...
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven
Pages: [1]   Go Up